Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 PM

Default Missed you in Fredericksburg, VA

Scott,
We have a very active RV presence here at KEZF.
Together with a private fly-in community 6 miles north (Dogwood), I believe there are 17 RVs.

Many RV-8a's.

You are always welcome back here, we have a spare room.

Keep up your mission.

Daddyman
Old 08-17-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chastain View Post
Being a Herman Melville fan, and sincerely captivated by the stories of early American whaling expeditions as depicted in his masterpiece, Moby Dick,
On your next trip, then, consider dropping into KPSF. Arrowhead, Melville's summer home, is just a short drive away. And from it, if you look to the north, you'll spy a couple of bumps on the horizon that might remind you of a certain mammal.

I admire your pluck on this trip. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to make it, not knowing where I'd be staying etc. I wish my RV would loosen up my risk-aversion for such things. Heck, I wish I had the courage to contact people on the RV hotel list and ask "hey, can I stay with you?" With retirement not far off, it would make a fun few weeks.

Can't wait to read your writeup of your stop in Minnesota. And if you're ever this way again, yeah, you can stay with us.
Almost ready to start the RV-12iS finishing kit. 480 hours in.

Builder log

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 08-17-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Default What a trip

Scott,

I am really enjoying your posts, and following your progress across America. You built a beautiful RV-8, and I take pride in the knowledge that I answered some of your questions as you built her.

What you are doing is the ultimate expression of building and flying your own aircraft. I envy your freedom to just takeoff solo like a modern day "Easy Rider" on your trip to discover America.

After eight years of regimented flying for the Air force and then another twenty eight years of similar flying for American Airlines, I'm not sure I could break out of the routine and free my brain for such a journey. I admire what you are doing, and will eagerly follow your post back home.

Danny
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2018

Last edited by Danny King : 08-18-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
Heck, I wish I had the courage to contact people on the RV hotel list and ask "hey, can I stay with you?"
And if you're ever this way again, yeah, you can stay with us.
Bob, that statement right there...the sentiment that you're more than willing to welcome a perfect stranger into your home simply because they're part of the RV community? Yeah, we all share that. Please reach out and contact folks on the RV hotel. I'll bet it's as much fun for the hosts (more, maybe) as it is for the guests.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:30 PM

Scoot, thanks once again for sharing this epic adventure. I have no qualms in believing if this story was told elsewhere, it would not garner the spirit our RV community shares. Whether we all know it or admit it, we are in a special club, group, class, or maybe it's a herd. One thing is certain....you've sparked a many idle hearts and I for one, plan to follow your lead. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:49 PM

The golden heifer is Jersey. One of the sweetest bovine dispositions known to man!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 PM

Scott, you inspired me to re-read Acts 2. Never heard a pilot admit to hearing voices. Every other Saturday I have breakfast with a good friend at the Denham Springs IHOP. Last Saturday the voice in my head kept saying "bad idea". My friend had called the IHOP and assured me they were opened in spite of the heavy rain and predicted flooding. We ended up abandoning his Subaru and hitching a ride back to Baton Rouge in a big 4x4. I should have listened! John
Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 AM

I couldn't help but notice in post#74, in a photo of Main St., Wellsville there was a banner on a street lamp for Alfred State College, a nearby State College I attended in 1973-5. It brought back fond memories of that beautiful part of the country which I haven't been back to in these many years. Thanks for the reminder and for sharing your experiences on your epic journey!
RV-12 #120370 co-builder
KBST, Belfast, Maine
Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 AM

Scott,

I check VAF several times a day for the usual stuff, but your journey is the one thing I look forward to reading when I get there. You are an inspiration.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017 donor and happy to do it.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:49 AM

I'm pretty sure this is the greatest thread in the history of VAF. THIS is like reading my bucket list.
Almost ready to start the RV-12iS finishing kit. 480 hours in.

Builder log