- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaknjoan View Post
Scott,

Your epic flight around our great country, your excellent travelog and high quality photos in my opinion is the best I've ever seen posted in the Forums. I read every word.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, Or
ditto
Thanks for being real. Keep bringing it.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM

Amazing story. Keep it coming. A true inspiration to take a trip myself.
Thanks!
VAF Dues Paid 7/2016
Contribution Made 10/2016
Old 08-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Scott,

Sincerest thanks for the write-up. I feel a twinge of completely selfish regret that your great adventure is ended and did not include a dog-leg further inland to my little piece of Virginia, where Lorri and I would have welcomed you and sent you on your way provendered and hopefully refreshed, certainly prayed-for. How I wish that I had at least heard of the trip before you got underway.

Maybe next time.

Also keeping a wary watchful eye on the apocalyptic developments at this time in our nation's struggle to keep our republic,

-Bill

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 PM

Just AWESOME!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Default FANTASTIC READ.

Beautiful airplane....the story was mind grabbing and interesting...pictures outstanding...we need more of this..
Wren 460 sold
CFIASMEL 49 years
Wannabe RV owner
AURORA, COLORADO
Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 PM

Default July 13th: Jamestown, VA

Early the next morning, on Wednesday, July 13th, I fired up the Dove and flew a whopping 17 miles over to the Williamsburg-Jamestown Airport (KJGG) to explore part of Colonial America at Jamestown. I slipped in under a healthy fog bank just minutes before it enveloped the field:

Bill, the airport attendant, met me bright-eyed and history-happy as I walked through the door just after 0700 hrs. local. I immediately asked him for coffee. He hadn't made any yet, but Bill happily went over to the restaurant portion of the terminal building and got my addiction fix brewing:

Once I had a cup of Joe in hand, I went out to the plane, took out the pieces of my bicycle, and began assembling it. By day's end, the bike would have close to another 20 miles or so added to the odometer:

Bill instructed me carefully about which route to take into Jamestown. The Colonial Parkway, which was devoid of all commercial traffic, skirted the banks of the James River and was filled with all the beauty my heart was seeking that day:

The farmhouse above provided a real thrill on the way back to the airport later that afternoon. A family touring from Florida had pulled over in their van, and the children were pointing up toward the sky. I pulled over on my bike to witness the excitement. Three American bald eagles were majestically soaring the updrafts over the farm. It was truly a beautiful sight that my pathetic camera was unable to capture with any justice.

I spent the entire day exploring Jamestown on foot and on bike. It was a captivating experience to walk the same ground, to view essentially the same preserved landscape, that the earliest settlers did over 400 years ago with the failed Virginia Company of London:

The settlement portion of the park is constructed in replica fashion, obviously, as are the two completely seaworthy ships that were constructed painstakingly through interpretive drawings, sketches, and recovered artifacts:

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-14-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:14 PM

Default July 13th: Jamestown, VA (cont.)

The weather, following the cool of the fog early that morning, had once again become a blistering cauldron that required some attention on my part. I must have consumed well over 3 gallons of water on the road that day. Even so, it was time to ignore the silly sign and let the James River speak to me. Swimming never felt so good:

Back at the airport, I disassembled the bike, thanked Bill for all of his help and guidance, then packed up and cranked over for one last look at American history from the skies:

I settled back into West Point for the night. Daybreak would take me northwest where the fabric of American warfare wove itself even deeper into the threadwork of my soul.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 PM

Default July 14th: Fredericksburg, VA

When I landed at Shannon Field (KEZF) in Fredericksburg on Thursday, July 14th, I was clueless. All I knew was that Shannon Field had excellent fuel prices, and it would provide me with a great vantage point from which to rent a car and explore Washington, D.C. Little did I know: Shannon Field was once the scene of one of the American Civil War's bloodiest battles: The Battle of Fredericksburg:

Beyond the Dove, you might see a thick line of trees, a corn field and, just beyond her empennage, another field producing hay. It was there where one of the Fredericksburg battles was waged. I didn't discover any of this until after I had fueled up, parked the plane, and the FBO opened up. Inside, actual artifacts from the battle were displayed in a mini-museum next to the pilot lounge:

Apparently, many of the artifacts were discovered while constructing a new taxiway some years ago. They remain on site as a tribute to the sacrifices made there.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed a cup of coffee in the wonderful diner at Shannon Field while I made arrangements to have a car rental delivered to the airport.

With one day to spend in our nation's capital, I had to move quickly. There was much to see, and my soul begged for the opportunity to set foot where the centrifuge of American government slings its power wherever it will. The day would be one not soon to be forgotten.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:27 AM

Default July 14th: Washington, D.C.

Enterprise Rent-a-Car delivered my economy class Nissan Sentra by mid-morning. My plan was to drive the 30+ miles into the Beltway, parking at the best light rail station I could find, and then taking the train into the heart of D.C. That plan worked out well. I was thankful for not having to deal with the parking "nightmare" in D.C. as it was described by a Fredericksburg local:

The mass transit system in Washington was smooth sailing, and everyone I met was friendly, courteous, and willing to help out with directions whenever I asked.

Riding the Blue Line from Franconia-Springfield, I decided to debark the train at the Federal Triangle. A day of intense walking began right there on Pennsylvania Avenue:

The heat wave that had followed me all the way from Texas and up the east coast was going to be at an apex today, so I began walking the Mall in earnest. My first stop: the White House. Just as I arrived near the North Lawn area, the Secret Service closed all access to viewing areas in front of the White House. According to agents, the President was "moving" and all who wanted views of the North Lawn area had to walk clear around to the other side of the park. I did so, no problem:

The walking continued with plenty of water and stops along the way. The World War II Memorial, for example, was just spellbinding. It was also a good place to soak my feet for awhile as I rehydrated.

I was simply overwhelmed with emotion---literally swept over with the chills---as I approached the Korean War Memorial. No words could describe just what came over me, but it was overpowering to the point of being surreal.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-15-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 AM

Default July 14th: Washington, D.C. (cont.)

I walked back up the mall from the Lincoln Memorial toward Capitol Hill. There was a great feeling of unity and joy and gladness emanating from the people I met that day, and the oppressive heat was just something everyone took in stride as I continued exploring the Mall.

The day was quickly coming to a close after climbing the steps of the Supreme Court. While resting my feet at the foot of a pillar, two women were praying earnestly in front of the enormous gilded doors of the building. I joined them in prayer for about 15 minutes, and after thanking one another, we parted ways. The dust I left behind, as I left behind with words of blessing at virtually every stop I made on this journey, comes from the village of Jauben, Ghana, where hundreds of people far more impoverished than most Americans can even imagine, pray for us daily.

I ventured back to the Federal Triangle train station and, by nightfall, I made it back to Fredericksburg and the battle lines of Shannon Field. Again the lone soul on the airport, I spent the night pacing the length of the runway for some time before getting some sleep in the Sentra. The effect of my visit to D.C. upon my soul was profound and deeply inspiring.

In the morning, I would explore Fredericksburg and take the time to honor the many soldiers who fell there during the American Civil War.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-15-2016 at 01:13 AM.