What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Questions

FlyingBanker

Well Known Member
Patron
Voltage was showing on G3X at 12.0 to 12.1 on last flight. Had been showing at 14 or 14.1. Found the alternator bracket broken and the bearings also seem shot. I purchased airplane already flying with 930 hrs about 16 months ago from widow of previous owner. Logbook entry shows alternator was removed and replaced at 558 hrs, so now has about 500 hrs on it. Doesn’t seem out of line. Anyone able to identify this alternator as there is absolutely no labeling on it. Also any info on the voltage regulator in the photo? And if this was your plane what would you replace it with? And is the broken bracket a boss bracket or a case bracket (I think boss from what I’ve read).
49911128586_2af826bd4d.jpg

49911128431_9094405de1_m.jpg

49911424292_982d3cb61f.jpg

49911128296_e8eebaef0f.jpg

Last edited:
For the regulator do a search for a ?Ford? Type regulator. This is a low cost regulator that was used previously and probably still by some.

Do a search for auto alternators Here and you will find many options. I actually purchased a Bosch AL257X unit from Amazon at one point but realized I needed a custom bracket like you show in your pics and I don?t weld.

I ended up buying a B&C alternator and bracket but it is definitely more expensive and some here would say too expensive.

Autozone and I think Orielly have lifetime warranty on some alternators so keep that in mind while you are looking.

B&C's are pricey but they are at the top of the game and are excellent. A B&C should go to TBO or beyond.

Maybe not TOO expensive.

I ended up buying a B&C alternator and bracket but it is definitely more expensive and some here would say too expensive.

I did some weibull plots on life data provided by the VAF members a couple of years ago. It showed that the cost per hour for the B&C was a little less than the Plane Power due to longer life.

Since there is no OSH this year, if you are ready, give them a call, you might get a free regulator with alternator purchase. That would be a fantastic deal and consistent with past years dropping the price inline with PP.

Full disclosure: I have a EI60 PP with 125 hrs purchased from Vans with FWF kit with no research.

Worth what you paid for it.

B&C

955 hrs with one belt change, boss mount. Mine is low amp, but sufficient. 13.8 output per GRT SPORT SX. PC680 seems to be holding up as well. Good luck Jim.

I got just 90 hours out of a brand new Nippon on my RV-10 before it gave out at the most inopportune time away from home. Replaced with a B&C set-up and never looked back. B&C starter and alternator system now on my -9A.

The voltage regulator in your picture is this one. I replaced mine in December. The small screw on the back of the regulator is to adjust the voltage if needed.

Do you know the voltage of your alternator? I replaced my 35 amp alternator in December. It looked the same as yours. I purchased it at OReilly auto parts. They had to search around for one and finally found one up in Sacramento.

Everything was a direct bolt replacement.

RV6-alternator.jpg

More alternator advice needed

I opted to go for the Plane Power 60a internally regulated alternator from Vans. Couple of additional questions. Kit came with new belt. Existing belt is still in decent shape. Should I use existing belt or would you recommend going ahead and changing the belt while everything is opened up? Also, to change the belt, I understand I need to take off the prop. Having never done that (I bought the plane already built), are there any special precautions or things I need to know about in doing that? Any specific tools I need to be sure to have beyond a torque wrench? Finally, will I be able to use the existing wiring in place and just change the connector to match the PP alternator, or will I need to rewire? I appreciate the group wisdom very much.

Back