What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Versus Plane Power Question

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the B&C alternator is the exact same size and uses the same belt as the Plane Power alternator? Are the two of them interchangeable without pulling the prop and changing out the belt?

Thanks,
Steve

I can't say for the -10, but I changed the one on my -6A and it was different. I had to pull the prop and pulley not only to change the belt but also the adjustment bracket. The B&C bracket is longer, and I was a little afraid there might be cowl contact, but it fits just fine. The harder task was to change the wiring from the internally regulated PlanePower to the externally regulated B&C - but that was the whole point because I kept having failures that seem to be caused by the regulator failing. I don't think I can get enough cool air to the regulator by scavenging from the inlet and didn't want to put a direct inlet in the cowl. Instead, I now have a regulator in the cabin with me which will hopefully last longer.

Back