What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Test Pilot in the OHIO area

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
Looking for a qualified test pilot to perform first test flight on my E-LSA RV-12iS. Please PM me if you are a qualified test pilot and are interested in performing the flight.

Looking for a qualified test pilot to perform first test flight on my E-LSA RV-12iS. Please PM me if you are a qualified test pilot and are interested in performing the flight.

Are you looking for someone that is an actual trained an qualified test pilot, or an experienced RV-12 pilot? I am neither, but it will make a big difference in cost/availability.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/1025667

Hi, David
Congratulations on the completion of your RV-12. After pulling 12,000 rivets, you have lots to be proud of.

I'd encourage you to fly your first flight.... You've spent so much time building your airplane, why not be at the controls yourself as PIC? The RV-12 is a proven design and easy to fly. I would recommend getting a few hours of practice with an RV-12 owner and if you are still uncomfortable, take advantage of the FAA's Additional Pilot program that allows another pilot to ride along with you.

I was a USAF test pilot at Edwards AFB and have performed several first flights on the RV-12. The most enjoyable first flights I've been on have been flying right-seat while the builder flew as PIC. Remember, your airplane only flies the first-flight once....so why not be at the controls and experience your first "RV smile?" Most experienced RV-12 pilots or CFIs will qualify to ride along with you and, in most cases, satisfy your insurance requirements.

Best wishes and enjoy your new airplane.

Back