What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbe questions

Randy777

I'm New Here
Hi my name is Randy and I am preparing to start my quest to build my own plane. I first got into this quest about 14 years ago but a divorce changed my plans. But I hope to start again and I have a few questions. At first I was thinking about a Kitfox then the Van 12 and now am thinking about the Van 7a as my project plane. First a few questions. I live in Boulder City, NV about 1 and a half miles from the airport. Currently their are no hangers for rent at the airport. So how hard is it to remove the wings if I want to bring the plane home for maintenance, etc. I have a flatbed trailer so the trip shouldn't be too hard.
I plan to take one of the EAA classes for working with sheet metal. Is that a good idea? I noticed the tool link doesn't work anymore. I know Vans sells a tool building Kit for about $2000.00. Is there a link for what it has so I don't buy what I already have? I guess thats enough questions for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Randy and welcome to VAF!

The wings can be removed from the 12 but don't plan to remove 7 wings once the final bolts are installed! It would not be simple and the spars are not designed for easy wing removal. Not an option.

If you haven't already visited a 7 builder or even a local finished 7 it would be well worth your time to do so. They are fantastic airplanes!

The RV12 on Sonex Onex should be your focus if you want to be able to pull off or fold up the wings for transport. RV7, way to much to even consider pulling the wings.

Classes are helpful

Paul and Reiley are absolutely right--an RV-7 is not meant to be disassembled and trailered. It's simply not practical.

But your idea about taking a sheet metal class is spot on. Not only will you learn a lot about building and tools, but you'll gain confidence as well. You'll also find out if you have the interest and aptitude to tackle a project like this. The EAA classes are good, and there are several others out there that are good as well. I highly recommend attending one.

I'll second that

The EAA classes are pretty good and will introduce you to a lot of diferent sheet metal tehniques.
The vans practice kits are also pretty good.
If you take the EAA RV Builders class, you will build one of the vans practice kits.
Have fun and good luck

Randy,
On Mike Starkey's behalf, welcome to the Good Ship VAF.

Regarding the 'tool building kit,' I think you're referring to pre-gathered tool kits optimized for kit-building. I bought the RV kit from Isham (planetools.com), and still think it's tough to beat. There are other great options out there from Avery Tools, Aircraft Spruce, and others. This will run you between $2000 and $3000. Isham lists the kit contents, giving you the opportunity to possibly pare back the contents if you already have some of the items (cost savings...good). In the case of the mechanized items (drills, rivet guns, etc) it's good to have spares.

I also agree with all the comments the others said above. I hope to never EVER take my wings off my RV-7A...ever!

Welcome to VAF!

Randy,
On Mike Starkey's behalf, welcome to the Good Ship VAF.

Yeah, what Sid said;)

There are a few RVs over in Henderson one of them was for sale recently, Seb Trost is (was?) the owner. You should be able to take a look at his, or another RV there, might be able to get a ride even.

Welcome

Welcome Randy and thank you for your service.
Visit the airport manager and ask about average wait time on the waiting list. Add your name at the right time.
On the tools, watch VAF classifieds. If you buy new, try and get Wedgelock clekos in the kit.
Finally, find a local mentor through the local EAA chapter. Spend some one on one time. You'll learn so much and have a better idea of what tools you want.

Questions?

Good initial thinking Randy. I agree that once the wings go on the 7, leave them there.....way too much work! Now, the 7 will do way much more as an airplane! So I highly recommend it with but one other option. Have you considered the 14? I have a 7A and I love it. I bought it before the 14 was available. Given the chance though, I would have the 14 because of my size. I'm 6-2?and 245. I filled up my spot and rob a little from my wife's side, lol.
It is quite a commitment to build but it is soooo worth the finished product. I've flown many aircraft and I can honestly say that my 7A is my favorite! Make it fit your needs!
Mike

Back