What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for repeat builders

Chattin35

Well Known Member
For those of you who built previously (RV-3/4/7/8), how does the -14 kit compare? it's supposed to go together faster/smoother. What has your experience been like? Is there much of a difference?

Thanks!

I am not building a -14, but have seen some of the parts and the manuals. I have built a -3, and a non-match-drilled -8, and can tell you that the difference between those two are like night and day - and the -14 parts and plans are far beyond the -8.

First, this post is builder to builder. Not Van's to builder.

Having built various models starting with a 3, I can honestly say that building the 14 is easier than any other model, except the 12, but only because the 12 is a smaller, lighter airframe and there are no bucking of rivets.

I am complete thru the fuselage and can only remember a relatively few parts that require fabrication. It is amazing what small parts already come made with the final sized holes already in them. This is truly getting to be an assembly process as opposed to a construction process.

If you can read, follow instructions and have the ability to restrain yourself from jumping ahead in the process when you think you should do something before the plans tell you to.... then you'll come out with a real nice airplane, a great fit and finish, and more satisfaction than you can begin to imagine.

> the -14 parts and plans are far beyond the -8.

Thanks for the reply Paul. What about the parts and plans makes far beyond the -8?

Don't mean to jump in front of you Paul, but perhaps I can shed some light. The RV-8 has a separate plans set and construction manual. The plans are the regular D size drawing. The manual is 8 1/2 x 11 loose leaf bound. I used to plaster my shop walls with the plans of the section I was building and refer to the manual for clarifications. Assembly procedure and sequence is pretty much up to the builder.

The RV-14 has the drawings and construction manual combined on sequential 11 x 17 sheets. Each structure and/or subassembly is presented in an exploded isometric view with step-by-step instructions guiding the builder thru assembly with the most efficient path to completion.

Hope this helps.

You can download sections of the Rv14 plans here.
http://vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv14.htm

For the RV12 the mantra was - "If the part is not fitting perfectly, STOP - because YOU are doing something wrong!" And, READ AND FOLLOW THE PLANS. Keep doing step by step. Eventually you will run out of steps and there wil be a plane in front of you.

-14 SB's and Revisions

Thanks for that link Bill. Definitely gives me a better idea. I've been poking around the other models as well. The plans look very good for the -14.

Back