What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 canopy clearance

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Okay, this is embarrassing - I admit I should have checked this a lot earlier but can someone tell me what the clearance is from the seat base to the canopy. It's become apparent that I do not fit in an RV6 with the 'seat back' in the most forward position (which for me is the most comfortable).

I only just fit with it being pushed all the way back. Mind you I am not sure how much of the canopy was trimmed during the build (is there a suggested height or range available I could reference). I'm only 5'10 and while I accept hip to shoulder ratios differs for all I'm a little miffed as to how person of 6"2fits?

Is there any difference in clearance between a stock RV 6 and 7?

Thanks in advance!

I am 6'2" and 260 lbs. I have about 1 inch of clearance between my cushy headset band and the canopy. The seat back is in the rearmost position, both top and bottom. My seat cushion is 1 inch thick. I installed the rudder pedals about 1.2 inches forward of Van's plan documentation. I am OK with the seating geometry.

The RV-7 gives more headroom by using different seat ribs. They are an inch or so lower than those used on the -6.

Is there any difference in clearance between a stock RV 6 and 7?

My RV-7 Tip-Up has more head clearance than an RV-6 Tip-Up. If you compare the the two airplanes side-by-side, you can see more of a "bubble" shape on the RV-7 canopy over the seats. I'm sure that's true for sliders as well.

Last edited:
Back