What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another newbe question

Randy777

I'm New Here
So I received the RV7 plans and CD. After looking them over I'm a little nervous about the whole project. I plan to take the EAA RV class but it isn't offered until July. Their is also an RV class offered By Synergy Air in Eugene, Oregon. Its only a one day class but thats a start. I have built a lot of stuff and can weld, etc but have never driven a rivet or worked with aluminum. So how about the videos out there. I noticed a couple online. I am going to get a book on aircraft construction but pictures and videos are what I really need. Thanks for your help. I'm sure once I get started you will here a lot from me.

First-highly recommend getting a ride in one of the planes to make sure it's what you want.
Second-try and find some people (EAA chapter and/or RVators group) somewhat near that you can look at their plane(s) or project(s). The help and advise can be very useful. That can help save your sanity when you have questions. Get exposure to what they are doing. Look over everything. You'll be checking out different parts of their plane each time you see a plane as your progress moves to various parts of the build.
In my opinion, aluminum is a lot easier to work with /fabricate than steel.
And last, most people that build an airplane (their first one, anyway) never built one before. You're going to have lots-o-questions. :eek:

Welcome

First-highly recommend getting a ride in one of the planes to make sure it's what you want.
Second-try and find some people (EAA chapter and/or RVators group) somewhat near that you can look at their plane(s) or project(s). The help and advise can be very useful. That can help save your sanity when you have questions. Get exposure to what they are doing. Look over everything. You'll be checking out different parts of their plane each time you see a plane as your progress moves to various parts of the build.
In my opinion, aluminum is a lot easier to work with /fabricate than steel.
And last, most people that build an airplane (their first one, anyway) never built one before. You're going to have lots-o-questions. :eek:

Randy
Welcome and thank you for your service.
If you can build stuff and weld, no problem.
I agree with Chris and will add.
EAA webinars. Google search will get you there. Enough webinars to keep you busy for weeks watching. Good info.
Mentor. When you connect with locals, find a willing mentor. Most builder are happy to share. Good for our egos. Spend some time learning. You may find the class is no longer needed.
Vans practice kits. Build one or both. If your mentor will assist, even better.
Have fun. That's what it's all about.

If I could do it anybody can

If you can build stuff and weld, no problem.

What Larry said. Order practice kit, basic tools and just get started don't delay. Nothing complicated in sheet metal work you will enjoy it. The tail kit instructions are written so good it's a building manual by itself. Learning curve is steep on empennage construction and it flattens a bit when you get to the engine. :)

Welcome and thank you for serving our great nation! The first thing I would do if I were you is go to the EAA website and watch all the wonderfull videos they have about anything from driving a rivet to timing a magneto. Search for EAA hints for homebuilders! Good Luck and have fun!

I have always been mechanically minded, taken apart things to see how they worked as a kid, mechanic in 20's, engineer for 35 yrs, and I had never driven a rivet either.

I jumped right to the canopy work with a QB kit in progress. Wow what a big jump.

You are starting in the right place. Drilling, aligning, deburring, and driving a rivet, - - all - - these are simple processes that are easily taught and learned. A little guidance will get you going. All the knowledge in the world is not a substitute for an hour of practice. Find a builder, go visit, spend and hour of riveting, you will be hooked. Working with aluminum is easy easy easy.

Learning is a constant process and they way the plane is built, you will always be learning something, but also always able to properly do what you need to to at the time.

Don't try to go too fast, get a task, read about it and do it. Following (mostly) the instructions you can/will build a nice safe airplane.

Vlad got right to it in a few words, get some tools, get the practice kits and get started. If you have questions, take a picture post it here and ask - - you will get an answer and learn. I have and still do.

There are some tool kits coming available as many are nearing completion of 7's and 8's. New tools are available from some very good vendors. Look at the Avery tool list. That will let you see what you might need. Tools are my friend, they will be yours too.

Good luck, and if you are sure what airplane you want, happy building. It is a journey.

edit: +1 on EAA videos, but stick to your specific need. Also get a subscription to Kitbuilder Magazine. Most/many of the writers are right here on VAF. Oh - and the most difficult thing is learning the difference between "advise" and "advice" . <chuckle>

Last edited:
Yeah, what they said. :)

When I jumped into a partially completed RV-7 build, I'd never squeezed a rivet in my life, other than a few hardware store pop rivets. Couldn't figure out WHAT the heck those porcupiney-looking things were that guys had sticking out all over their planes (clecos). I had no idea where to start.

Build the Van's tool box, and maybe do the other practice kit as well. You can pick up a few basic tools to do them, and by the time you're done you will at least know how to prep metal and rivet. You still won't have a clue as to what you're in for starting an RV build. By the time you figure that out, it's too late to save yourself. :)

Another source of information not to be overlooked is the huge pool of short EAA videos on their website. There is a lot of good information there, especially for someone tackling this stuff for the first time. You just have to be careful you don't get sucked into starting a tube and fabric project alongside the RV.

I had never worked on sheet metal before starting this project. I had done woodworking which is actually very similar in many ways. I took the EAA Sheet Metal class and then I also ordered a couple of the training kits from Vans. I don't think the tool box kit is that beneficial, but the control surface like kit helps. Don't expect to learn everything very quickly. The empennage is really your training kit. I'm almost done with the wings and I'm still not an expert sheet metal worker. I am a lot better though. I can make little brackets in a snap now. You will make mistakes. Some you will think are major, but you can order another part for relatively low cost in most cases. Be patient and keep plugging along.

As many people have said on this site if you want to fly buy a plane. If you want to build and fly then get started. This is a significant project and you need to set your expectations correctly. It will take a lot of work to get your plane in the air. Some people lose motivation when the project progresses slowly. Others like myself get really excited as we make significant milestones. I can tell you that I thought I would never finish these slow build wings, but after 2 years I'm almost ready to order the fuselage kit. It is so cool to have people walk into my garage and say OMG look how big those are. They can't believe I'm building a plane in my garage. So if you feel like you have the right mindset then get started, don't delay.

There is also a significant financial consideration to completing the plane. Make sure you understand the costs involved before you get too excited. Building over time is my financing system and many others have used this approach too.

Time Time Time and money!

The title tells it all, this is a big project requiring a lot of determination and sacrifice of other interests in order to complete.

Financially, my RV7 will cost about 55 K Cdn and it will be functional VFR with a single glass panel. I too have enjoyed the pay as you build part as the plane is all cash at this point.

Time, it takes Time to build one of these, no kidding, lots of time so be sure you can spend at least 1500 hours of your life building. Then do it if you still want to. But divide 16 free weekend hours into the 1500 and you get 93 weekends of your time to the project. Oh and my fuselage was a Quick Built so add another 200 if you scratch build.

Many say the end result is worth it, we will see, I certainly hope so. this was just my honest and humble opinion. Good luck and enjoy if you decide to go ahead.:)

Enjoy building or enjoy flying?

Randy,

When I started my project I thought it would be cheaper to build than to buy a flying plane. I wanted to fly with out debit, and as I didn't have a large bank roll it was an easy choice to build. Well hind sight is 20/20 and I now know that I could have bought a flying RV cheaper then I can build one (with the economic downturn this has really made a big difference) and that is not giving $1 for my time. And yes free annuals for life is worth something but getting in the air years sooner is too.

Do I regret building? Not for a second, ok well maybe a little when one of my 6+ friends that have bought flying planes since I have been building takes me for a ride... But honestly I like projects and this has been a good one. I know that I am getting exactly what I want and I will know more about my airplane than they ever will. Is it taking longer then I would have liked, sure but I know that the feeling I will get when I fly her for the first time will make it all worth it.

Either way you can't go wrong but my point was that I originally thought I was saving money by building and I am now convinced (in this current market) that it is cheaper to buy a flying plane.

Best of luck,
KC

Back