What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel strut 7A

stiffener

I am getting the dreaded shimmy as well. In my build I opted to not add stiffeners to the main gear until I tested to see if I needed it. The shimmy isnt real bad with just the tap of a brake to turn slightly and it goes away. But I have noticed that on grass and unimproved strips its much worse. So, I'm going to add the stiffeners soon. I saw a guys plane once who added a shorter but similar stiffener to the back side of the nose gear leg and it seems to work so Im gonna try that too.
Mike

I am getting the dreaded shimmy as well. In my build I opted to not add stiffeners to the main gear until I tested to see if I needed it. The shimmy isnt real bad with just the tap of a brake to turn slightly and it goes away. But I have noticed that on grass and unimproved strips its much worse. So, I'm going to add the stiffeners soon. I saw a guys plane once who added a shorter but similar stiffener to the back side of the nose gear leg and it seems to work so Im gonna try that too.
Mike

Adding stiffeners as I understand is not always required, but may be a good idea for various reasons. I fly a 7A that I did not build... when I bought it back in 2006 the nose gear had only a foam material sprayed inside the gear fairing to reduce or eliminate vibration and movement of the both the gear leg and fairing. I did not experience any nose wheel shimmy until about a year or two ago. This past annual the shimmy was occurring too often, and I decided that the shimmy may have been the result of a bearing issue and replaced the taper bearings with Antisplat Aero's Nose Wheel Bearing MOD... Works great, problem solved!! Shimmy has not returned. Consider looking into the nose wheel bearing mod... :)

Victor

Back