What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What happened? Elevator pushrod rubbing blkhead 705

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello fellow rivet bangers:

I completed the install on my -7 of the joystick crossbar(only after I had to modify ribs the QB people didn't cut properly) and when I made airplane noises and pulled on the joystick.... What?

The pushrod going aft to the bellcrank just ever so slightly contacts the 705 bulkhead, ever so slightly but still it CONTACTS! rats

Anyone had this happen to them? If so any advice? thanks:(:(:(

If the 705 bulkhead is the aft spar bulkhead

If this is the aft spar bulkhead, this is normal and the spar strips must be scalloped to provide clearance for the pushrod. I recall having to remove about .050-.100" using a Drexel tool to get clearance. I has been about 10 yrs since I did this task.

Modifying the ribs somewhat is normal to get proper clearances! The die grinder with tube in place may not be the way to go. :) Larry

Very common, use self stick sanding disk, wrap it around the rod, and then have somone move the stick back and fourth with you putting down pressure on the rod. In a very short time you will have the clearance you need and you don't have to take it all apart. Add several layers to increase the gap.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Sounds like anyone of the three would work, I like the sandpaper plan as I wont have to take apart the AN3s and washers.... hate those small washers

Thanks again
Dave

Make sure you smooth the sanded section of the spar carrythrough. Don't need any stress risers in that area. ;)

Back