What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionx ADS-B Out EchoUAT

Badia358

Has anyone installed the UAvionx ADS-B Out EchoUAT in their RV? I am looking to buy the EchoUAT for my ADS-B Out solution and was wondering if anyone had done this and can provide some feedback before I buy the unit. I am very close to buying it, but it is always good to get some feedback.

Here is instruments in my RV-6A that will connect to this EchoUAT.

Garmin GNS 430W
Garmin GTX 327
Dynon Skyview Systems (Classic)

I know that the GNS 430W SW will need to be updated and I think that I may also need the GTX 327 SW updated.

Thank you...

Check out the ADS-B subforum...there's a thread there. I'm also very interested in this system, as it's affordable, and I have the GTX 327 transponder and I don't want to change it. Will be going with the GRT-supplied GPS source.

I am looking at this unit for my GRT EFIS setup. GRT is selling the Echo with their WAAS enabled GPS. Dynon is partnering with Uavionics also. As for the transponder, everything I am reading is stating we can keep the Mode C 327 transponder with their setup. It looks like a very serious contender for me.

I recently installed the Echo and it monitors my GTX 327 so I didn't have to install a new one. I did a test flight and passed the FAA performance report with no problems.

Dan
RV-7A

echoUAT installed with my Garmin 430W feeding it position, Garmin 327 transponder, and feeding traffic and weather to my GRT HX. I've also passed the FAA ADS-B flight test.

Please allow a mini hi-jack on this issue

Steve

If I remember right you have the GRT Horizon HX. I still have the old WS. I'm hearing GRT is announcing the addition of some nice WAAS approach functionality to their newer EFIS systems at OSH when coupled with a WAAS gps source.

Like you, I'm also considering addressing ads-b out soon and would like your thoughts on their new Echo/Fly Safe combo solution and at the same time trading in my old WS' for either the 7"EX or 6.5" HX (which is taller than the EX and would require enlarging my panel EFIS holes). I am told the HX has the faster processor, a little better resolution screen, and supports geo referenced maps and approach charts but the EX would be an easier upgrade route and will also be able to fly WAAS approaches using the Echo/Fly Safe combo.

If you were in my shoes which EFIS route would you go?

Steve

If I remember right you have the GRT Horizon HX. I still have the old WS. I'm hearing GRT is announcing the addition of some nice WAAS approach functionality to their newer EFIS systems at OSH when coupled with a WAAS gps source.

Like you, I'm also considering addressing ads-b out soon and would like your thoughts on their new Echo/Fly Safe combo solution and at the same time trading in my old WS' for either the 7"EX or 6.5" HX (which is taller than the EX and would require enlarging my panel EFIS holes). I am told the HX has the faster processor, a little better resolution screen, and supports geo referenced maps and approach charts but the EX would be an easier upgrade route and will also be able to fly WAAS approaches using the Echo/Fly Safe combo.

If you were in my shoes which EFIS route would you go?
I do have two 8.4 Hx GRT EFIS'. I do not have any experience with the EX so you should definitely treat my advice with a "grain of salt". I really do not know what the actual differences are in performance between those two systems. I have only flown behind my HX units. I am sure either of them would work well for your needs. Feel free to call me though if you wish to discuss your options. I am always game for a good conversation about aviation.

As for the ADS-B OUT, I am seriously looking at GRT's Echo/Fly Safe combo for my needs. Currently I do not have a WAAS enabled GPS. GRT's Fly Safe looks like my best option for gaining that functionality. The Echo appears, so far, to be an extremely attractive ADS-B OUT option to install as well. I plan to talk with GRT and Uavionics at length at OSH for sure.

Give me a call and lets talk. Better yet, lets go fly somewhere soon. Remember you can always come to our EAA meeting the second Saturday of each month (June 10th is the next meeting)

We installed in an ELSA, tube and fabric high wing. It picks up the transponder codes with no wiring to it, and is very small and light. I had to get the WAAS box with the same form factor also. They both came with connector and pigtails long enough to wire directly.

2 wires (ground and power) and a premade BNC cable ($20) is the minimum install. With your 430W, you just need one extra wire from the connector of the 430W for position data. You can also directly wire to the transponder, but the wireless approach seems to work.

Setup by tablet app (free) took 2 minutes. It has a choice to use the anonymous mode when squawking 1200, like other UAT boxes.

With limited ground plane, the antenna supplied with the EchoUAT doesn't quite receive as well as my Stratux kit box does. I didn't even realize that it broadcasts traffic and weather on wifi until it was already in, since I already had the Stratux for that. Haven't tested 'out' strength, but it does work. Will probably get another for the RV7, which should work better due to the metal skin for the ground plane.

GRT running behind on the package

My brother told me that GRT is running about two weeks later then the expected availability on their UAvionix/GRT GPS package. Was suppose to be June 1.

Back