What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Someone to Ferry a Plane

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Not sure if this should be in here or classified section (moderator feel free to move it). I have my RV 12/Skyview stranded in Del Rio Texas, need it flown down to Weslaco Texas, near Harlingen.

Kind of a long sad story Tom. In a nutshell the only way I could get a Flight Review (have not had one for 24 years) to fly mine, was to buy another plane, since I cannot do that in mine with Phase 1 not flown off and there are no others down here in the lower Rio Grande Valley. I had tried with JetGuy, got 17.5 hours and 47 landings, but distance and our schedules was making it look like that would never finish. I bought this one in Washington state so I could finish up transition training and get a flight review, and a friend was ferrying it down to me, but got weathered in in Del Rio, only a couple hundred miles from here.
There is no one around here that knows how to fly it! Looks like I might have to pull the wings and trailer it home, silly as that sounds. I feel I could fly it home, but that would of course be illegal and would void my insurance as well.:mad::mad:

=TS Flightlines;1174433]Don---whats up?[/QUOTE]

Don,

Haven't spoken to Jose for a couple years, don't know how busy he is these days, but he ferried my 6 twice. Once from Florida, and a second time, from Alabama, back home here to the San Antonio area. Very reliable and trustworthy. You might give him a call....... jose olmedo 210-three 6 seven- five O five 1

Thaks, will give him a call. Is he based in the San Antonio area?
It is such a short trip would need someone local I think.

FQUOTE=artrose;1174494]Don,

Haven't spoken to Jose for a couple years, don't know how busy he is these days, but he ferried my 6 twice. Once from Florida, and a second time, from Alabama, back home here to the San Antonio area. Very reliable and trustworthy. You might give him a call....... jose olmedo 210-three 6 seven- five O five 1[/QUOTE]

Don,
I'm confused by your post. Is this for the insurance company (which can make up any rule it wants), or for an FAA Flight Review? If it's for the FAA, it can be in any airplane for which you are rated. Doesn't have to be a -12.
Edit: Don, I see you hold a private license. You can rent a 152 and do the FAA flight review. No medical? CFI can be PIC.

Last edited:
Fair question. I have no medical, so I can enjoy sport pilot privileges with my private certificate and a drivers license. FAA requires one to take a flight review in an aircraft for which you hold a rating or operating privilege. They even cite an example, that a sport pilot cannot take a review in a Cessna 172.
That said, even if I could get an illegal flight review in a 152, I have spent 5 months and $5500.00 to learn to fly an RV12 with a glass panel, it would seem silly to me to learn to be proficient in another type aircraft with round gauges to qualify me to do phase one in my EAB. Paper is nice, but I prefer to be proficient.
QUOTE=BobTurner;1174513]Don,
I'm confused by your post. Is this for the insurance company (which can make up any rule it wants), or for an FAA Flight Review? If it's for the FAA, it can be in any airplane for which you are rated. Doesn't have to be a -12.
Edit: Don, I see you hold a private license. You can rent a 152 and do the FAA flight review. No medical? CFI can be PIC.[/QUOTE]

That said, even if I could get an illegal flight review in a 152,

Don, I understand your desire to do this in a -12, and that makes a lot of sense. But just to be clear, it is perfectly legal for you to get a Flight Review in a 152. You hold a PP certificate, so you are "rated" in the airplane. As long as the cfi agrees to be PIC, this is perfectly legal-you don't need a medical. I've personally given a fair number of flight reviews to private pilots who could not act as PIC - because their flight review had expired!

Kind of a long sad story Tom. In a nutshell the only way I could get a Flight Review (have not had one for 24 years) to fly mine, was to buy another plane, since I cannot do that in mine with Phase 1 not flown off and there are no others down here in the lower Rio Grande Valley. I had tried with JetGuy, got 17.5 hours and 47 landings, but distance and our schedules was making it look like that would never finish. I bought this one in Washington state so I could finish up transition training and get a flight review, and a friend was ferrying it down to me, but got weathered in in Del Rio, only a couple hundred miles from here.
There is no one around here that knows how to fly it! Looks like I might have to pull the wings and trailer it home, silly as that sounds. I feel I could fly it home, but that would of course be illegal and would void my insurance as well.:mad::mad:

=TS Flightlines;1174433]Don---whats up?

61.56 says you need a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground. You don't have to finish "transition training" in order to be signed off for a flight review. Seems like that somewhere in your 17.5 hrs that a flight review could have been signed off.

I'll admit that I don't know the intricacies of a PP without a medical exercising Sport Pilot privileges and how that applies to a Flight Review or if there are any LODA issues that might prohibit a CFI from providing a flight review as part of transition training (I know that in my own case that my transition CFI using his plane could not provide me a HP endorsement because his LODA prohibited it).

Last edited:
61.56 says you need a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground. You don't have to finish "transition training" in order to be signed off for a flight review. Seems like that somewhere in your 17.5 hrs that a flight review could have been signed off.

I'll admit that I don't know the intricacies of a PP without a medical exercising Sport Pilot privileges and how that applies to a Flight Review or if there are any LODA issues that might prohibit a CFI from providing a flight review as part of transition training (I know that in my own case that my transition CFI using his plane could not provide me a HP endorsement because his LODA prohibited it).

Here's the rub. See 61.56 (2) copied below.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this section, a flight review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground training. The review must include:

(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter; and

(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

While one would not have to complete the "transition training", one does have to show a level of competence that "demonstrates the safe exercise of the privileges."

My congratulations to Don for doing whatever it takes to get current and safe before flying his airplane, especially since it is a highly modified version of the '12.

Back