What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions About Sealing Tip-Up For Weather

mbauer

Well Known Member
I did not build my RV-6, bought it recently already flying.

I have a few questions about sealing the tip-up when it is closed. But first the status of why I'm asking the question to begin with.

My RV has several layers of a clear tape along the fuselage rails and the lip where the back of the canopy sits on the roll bar. These layers of tape are no longer stuck to the top of the fuselage. They are coming loose in long strips.

Build up was probably 1/16" to 3/32" thick, judging from the layers used.

Not sure what kind of tape it is, but it looks like it was used to seal the canopy when closed to keep the wind noise and rain out.

Is it possible to use normal weather stripping to seal the canopy?

I've read not to use electrical tape on the canopy as it can cause damage. Will the weather stripping also do this?

What other kind of issues am I asking for?

What could the clear tape be, is it something recommended for/by Vans?

The present tape doesn't look like any clear packaging tape or a scotch type tape.

What is the normal procedure for sealing the canopy?

Any help will be appreciated.

I fly down to KBOI to pick it up next week for the flight back to Alaska.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice provided!

Mike, let me know when you are coming in. I will be home next week except for Monday. I can help if you need anything and have most any tool you would need.

As far as electrical tape, that is the standard to use on the canopy because it is thick and comes off well. I would stay away from any duct or clear package tape.

I don't see why weatherstripping wouldn't work to close the canopy on. I only know about a tip up on my 9, but figure the 6 would be about the same. I have a friend with a 6 and will check.

Hope to see you next week.

I have full weatherstripping on the bottom of the side canopy rails. I used the hollow D shape. You will pick the thickness that will seal your particular plane. You may need different thicknesses along the runs, depending upon how your builder worked this area. I also have weatherstripping on the forward upper skin area where they have you install an angle to hold it. I also have a form fitted targa strip that seal the whole area where the two canopy sections meet, all the way down past the fuse rail. They are no more difficult to add post build. You can research these here on this site. Between the two of these, I have NO air or watter coming in from the canopy area. I fly down to about 0*, so cannot afford to have any cold air working against the barely adequate heaters. Note: preventing water ingress on the forward skin is a more involved discussion.

Note: I used flange bushings and bolt stand-offs at the rear to hold the canopy in a fixed, repeatable position, horizontal and vertical, when closed. This keeps the targa strip tightly held to the rear canopy section and eliminates any chaffing wear.

Larry

Last edited:
Mike, let me know when you are coming in. I will be home next week except for Monday. I can help if you need anything and have most any tool you would need.

As far as electrical tape, that is the standard to use on the canopy because it is thick and comes off well. I would stay away from any duct or clear package tape.

I don't see why weatherstripping wouldn't work to close the canopy on. I only know about a tip up on my 9, but figure the 6 would be about the same. I have a friend with a 6 and will check.

Hope to see you next week.

Thank you for the offer! PM sent.

I have full weatherstripping on the bottom of the side canopy rails. I used the hollow D shape. You will pick the thickness that will seal your particular plane. You may need different thicknesses along the runs, depending upon how your builder worked this area. I also have weatherstripping on the forward upper skin area where they have you install an angle to hold it. I also have a form fitted targa strip that seal the whole area where the two canopy sections meet, all the way down past the fuse rail. They are no more difficult to add post build. You can research these here on this site. Between the two of these, I have NO air or watter coming in from the canopy area. Note: preventing water ingress on the forward skin is a more involved discussion.

Thank you! Was wondering what will work to seal the top of the canopy.

I did do some searching, mostly in the Tip Up Vs Sliding threads. Didn't see anything there yet...Still reading.

I did do some searching, mostly in the Tip Up Vs Sliding threads. Didn't see anything there yet...Still reading.

search Targa. There are some good, descriptive threads with pics. Brantel had a good one.

You can probably seal it up with intelligent and creative use of weatherstripping. I liked the look of the targa and thought it would be the most effective sealing method. It is more work though. Either way, you can do better than packing tape.

Larry

You can probably seal it up with intelligent and creative use of weatherstripping. I liked the look of the targa and thought it would be the most effective sealing method. It is more work though. Either way, you can do better than packing tape.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the search word "Targa".

Found a couple of great photos showing what it is. Will be the best answer for the RV to survive here in Alaska. Will work out a plan to modify it once it is back.

For now will try the weather stripping for the flight back, unless there is a reason not to.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the search word "Targa".

Found a couple of great photos showing what it is. Will be the best answer for the RV to survive here in Alaska. Will work out a plan to modify it once it is back.

For now will try the weather stripping for the flight back, unless there is a reason not to.

Good luck. Some builders have only bonded the strip to the plexi and a couple have come off in flight. Be sure to use a handful of blind rivets to keep the strip secure in case the adhesive fails.

Ask Vlad

Vlad keeps his 9A outside year round with ice, snow etc. and flies everywhere!

He should be able to chime in on how to seal a tip-up:D

Mike, I used these weather stripping on the canopy sides of my RV and they have worked well. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact size I used.

I also put some pushrod seals in to help keep the cold air out. Here is a link.

Another trick is to get some exhaust wrap and wrap just your heat muff. Of course, this will have to come off every year for the inspection, so buy extra. Vetermans recommends against wrapping the exhaust but wrapping just the heat muff really improves the heat output.

Another trick is to get some exhaust wrap and wrap just your heat muff. Of course, this will have to come off every year for the inspection, so buy extra. Vetermans recommends against wrapping the exhaust but wrapping just the heat muff really improves the heat output.

Great idea. I will try this next winter. I added a second heat muff last fall, but once below 20 or so, they are still less than I desire.

Thanks,

Larry

Mike, I used these weather stripping on the canopy sides of my RV and they have worked well. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact size I used.

I also put some pushrod seals in to help keep the cold air out. Here is a link.

Very interesting links. I like the pushrod seal-thinking this will be a must do for Alaska this fall. Was already planning a second heat muff, but wrapping it sounds like a great plan as well.

The hollow foam "D" weather stripping looks like it might be a great starting point, since it crushes down more than the solid.

Thank you for providing the links.

Last edited:
Back