VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Fuel injection or carbureted.

What was your reasoning for selecting one over the other; fuel injection or carbureted? (Cost, simplicity, complexity, efficiency, tank mods, other mods, etc.)

Just gathering some opinions and thoughts to help in my selection, your input is appreciated. Thanks,
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM

I went with new carbureted O320 because of cost and simplicity. In 2008 dollars I paid 19K and a change for brand new YO320-D2G.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Carburetor. Cost & Simplicity!
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM

I'm definatly going fuel injected. Isn't too much more money, can be operated LOP generally and the biggest reason is sustained inverted flight.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

We have two carburated O-360's, and our newest plane has an IO-320...just to be different! The carbs are simple, easy to operate, very predictable to start. The Injected engine runs very smooth, we can get it far leaner than the carbed ones for long, high cruise, but we're still learning to start it in "odd" situations - hot, high density altitudes, etc.

I know how to fix the carbs if I have to - the FI system will probably need to go to depot maintenance if it has a problem - but it has been perfect so far!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
...The Injected engine runs very smooth, we can get it far leaner than the carbed ones for long, high cruise, but we're still learning to start it in "odd" situations - hot, high density altitudes, etc...
Having observed the little tantrums of that particular airplane a few times I would be interested in hearing more detail. What have been the most difficult situations (I think I know) and is a method near perfected that makes for a reliable start?

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5lp View Post
Having observed the little tantrums of that particular airplane a few times I would be interested in hearing more detail. What have been the most difficult situations (I think I know) and is a method near perfected that makes for a reliable start?
Well, we haven't had Tsam out at high density altitudes since that first trip, but we've come to peace with hot starts here at sea level through "standard" hot start techniques - if it is a "quick turn", no prime, and bring the mixture in slowly when it fires. We have been more careful to leave the oil door open during turn-arounds, but I am not sure it makes that much difference - this is a pretty cool running engine overall.

I think the key to my own learning curve has been to bring the mixture in smoothly when it fires - sometimes, you don't want to go full rich, and often, "teasing" it in makes for a smoother start.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
The Injected engine runs very smooth, we can get it far leaner than the carbed ones for long, high cruise, but we're still learning to start it in "odd" situations - hot, high density altitudes, etc.
Paul
I ended up with Fuel Injection, not by choice but by chance. Am I ever glad I did!

Yes, hot starts are a problem for some people but an old grizzled pilot (at least older than me!) told me to treat hot starts like flooded starts much in the mannor that Paul mentions. That has worked every time for me with my engine in the 500+hrs. I've flown it.

With Robert Paisley's EFII dual electronic ignition, I can go lean of peak on the EGT and get the fuel flow down to 7 gph at 8000ft at 2300rpm and full throttle. That setting gets me about 166-167 knots TAS. Not to shabby for a 200hp IO-360.

ps: It sure ticks off my buddy with a 180 hp RV-8 when we fuel up and I put in 2 to 2 1/2 gal less after a two hour flight!
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM

I went with the IO-320 as I was concerned about rising fuel prices and I figured, with LOP operation, it would be less expensive to operate. While probably true, it may take a few hundred hours of operation to recoup the added expense.

I have not had significant issues with hot starting. I can shut down to fuel up and, even in sunny Florida over the summer, I have always been able to get it going again.

If I were to do it all again, I would probably go with a carb for the simplicity. For the FI, other than removing and cleaning the injector lines and cleaning the filter in the throttle body, I won't touch it; whereas I would have no problems tearing into a carb. But, I have no regrets with the FI system and, unless it starts needing some expensive repairs, I am sure I never will.
RV9A - Completed! First flight on July 18, 2012!
Based at Merritt Island, FL (KCOI)
VAF Number: 1170

----
Star Trek Quote: "Logically, it could work. Also, logically, there are a hundred variables, any one of which could put us in a worse position than we're in now." Mr. Spock in Return to Tomorrow
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Default Investment Opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I went with new carbureted O320 because of cost and simplicity. In 2008 dollars I paid 19K and a change for brand new YO320-D2G.
Today, that engine is $25,700, which is $2000 more than when I started building 7 months ago. Which is a 35% increase over what Vlad paid for it 2008. (WTF)

So, if I assume a 10% increase per year... If I buy 10 engines today, sell them in four years for 20% more than I pay for them, I will make $50k profit and 10 people will get a steal (20% discount) on their engine.... Hmmmmm?

That ain't going to happen, but I hope I can still afford it when I need it.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold