What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety wire question

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
The four screws of the gascolator have to be secured with a safety wire. Is there a specific type (size, strength, material) of wire for this function or is any wire thin enough to go through the holes good enough? (It always bothers me when VANs treats me like I had built planes all my life and then makes me look like an idiot with my silly questions :D)

Jean-Pierre

In general, the largest diameter wire that will go through the holes is the usual.

Stainless steel safety wire that most aircraft supply places sell. I believe the gascolator screws would use .032 if it's similar to the ones on the -6's and -7's.

Best,

Pierre-John,

Last edited:
Standard aircraft safety wire is stainless steel. Brass wire is also available but rarely used. The most common sizes are .020, .032 and .041. It is readily available from most aircraft supply houses in a 1 lb. spool, which will last you a lifetime.

In the application you describe, .020 or .032 will be sufficient. Any local A&P (mechanic, not the grocery store!) should be willing to give you a 3 ft. strand. If not, let me know and I'll mail you a piece.

Info on how to safety is found here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentid/99861 Ch.7, Sec. 7, pages 7-19 to 7-23.

Hope this helps.

The four screws of the gascolator have to be secured with a safety wire. Is there a specific type (size, strength, material) of wire for this function or is any wire thin enough to go through the holes good enough? (It always bothers me when VANs treats me like I had built planes all my life and then makes me look like an idiot with my silly questions :D)

The beginning chapters of the construction manual for the RV-12 instructs builders to get familiar with the Aircraft Standards Handbook (supplied in tool kits from most tool vendors I think) and FAA Advisory Circular A.C 43.13. This recommendation was made for a specific reason. It would be a good idea for any builder (regardless of the airplane model), to refer to these documents anytime they are about to do any process that they have not done previously.

These both have information regarding all of the standard practices used to repair and maintain aircraft. The assumption is that if you are building the airplane, you likely intend to repair and maintain it your self also. If this is the case, part of your "building an airplane" education needs to be getting familiar with the documents that your maint. and repair work is judged by.

(It always bothers me when VANs treats me like I had built planes all my life and then makes me look like an idiot with my silly questions :D)

Van's isn't in business to teach you how to build an airplane. They are in business to sell you kits that you build. Knowledge, skill and tools are your part of the deal. I've seen homebuilt aircraft, including Van's product, which were built without any knowledge of safe and generally accepted aviation practices. Pretty scary. I'm not saying these should be built by certified A&P mechanics but, builders need to learn how to do things safely.

The beginning chapters of the construction manual for the RV-12 instructs builders to get familiar with the Aircraft Standards Handbook (supplied in tool kits from most tool vendors I think) and FAA Advisory Circular A.C 43.13. This recommendation was made for a specific reason. It would be a good idea for any builder (regardless of the airplane model), to refer to these documents anytime they are about to do any process that they have not done previously.

These both have information regarding all of the standard practices used to repair and maintain aircraft. The assumption is that if you are building the airplane, you likely intend to repair and maintain it your self also. If this is the case, part of your "building an airplane" education needs to be getting familiar with the documents that your maint. and repair work is judged by.

This is a good point and well taken, thank you! Before posting I researched the book that came with the kit: "Standard Aircraft Handbook" by Larry Reithmaier and I found nothing on Safety Wires other than a note on their function. This book has been useful so far but obviously is limited by its small size on such a broad subject. Could I ask for recommendations for such manuals that would take me to the next level from those who have used them and were satisfied with their quality?
Thanks to all

The FAA isn't all bad.

AC 43-13 is an absolute "must have" book. You will learn a LOT reading it. It's sort of the bible for aircraft maintenance. It's a BIG document. So big, you need to download it in chapters. It's over 400 pages. You can download it at the link below, for free.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/REGULATOR...99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument

Charlie Kuss

AC 43-13 is an absolute "must have" book. You will learn a LOT reading it. It's sort of the bible for aircraft maintenance. It's a BIG document. So big, you need to download it in chapters. It's over 400 pages. You can download it at the link below, for free.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/REGULATOR...99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument

Charlie Kuss

Done that, a bit intimidating but lots of useful information, particularly on my question about safety wires. Thanks for the link, Charlie!

When I was 13 year's old, I got the opportunity to start working on real airplanes, and was given a copy of AC43.13. Seeing as how lucky I was to get invovled in aviation at that age, I read the thing cover to cover, and have never been without a copy since. Of course, now I have it electronically on every computer I own....

Paul

Could I ask for recommendations for such manuals that would take me to the next level from those who have used them and were satisfied with their quality?
Thanks to all

I thought I knew how to safety wire. Then I went to Superior to build my engine and one of the things I took away was how to really safety wire. It was an education getting instruction from an expert. This is one of those things where I think there is no substitute for hands-on training; find a local builder or A&P who is willing to help and instruct you.

JP, I have put together a fairly detailed library of books on the subject matter. You are welcome to drop by the house and take a look at what I have. You may decide that some of the "titles" are worth purchasing yourself.

Same thing with my builders tools, although they are at the hangar 45 miles away.

As noted earlier, AC43.13-1B/2B is a must have document. Even though you can download it, it well worth the cost of buying the pre-printed bound copy.

Back