What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poor Plan Print Quality? Anyone else had this?

BBaxR6

Hey everyone, the good news is I got my wing kit yesterday! The bad news is the included plans look terrible. They are extremely pixelated and most of the sheets have artifacts/ghosts on them. It looks like someone converted the PDF (or otherwise vector graphic drawings) to a bitmap before hitting the "print" button. Here's an example of the pixelation; has anyone else had this? Is this representative of what Van's is shipping now? It is totally unacceptable.

ObUA5R0

Last edited:
That doesn't look right.. My 10 year old RV-8 paper plans are super crisp with great resolution.

I'd talk to Van's, and also get the electronic plans so you can get your local print shop to re-print pages as you wear them out :)

I received my wing kit last month (Feb 2018) and the full size plans are indeed very poor. I've resorted to using the much smaller plans in the pre-buy, preview set to see the rivet call-outs, etc. Then, it occurred to me that the pre-view plans might not match the kit, so I ordered the plans-on-USB. Alas, the plans on the USB come with a disclaimer saying they may be out of date, and to use the plans that come with the kit. Furthermore, the USB plans are Not any better than the full-size ones I got with the wing kit. Has anyone contacted Van's about this? There are a lot of rivets on the wings and it is impossible to tell which ones to use.

Follow up to poor plans

So, I e-mailed Vans and sent some pictures of the blurry plans. They responded immediately and sent me replacement plans that look Great, at no charge either. My hat is off to them, Best Customer Service I've seen in a long time!

Back