What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emergency Chutes

Norcalrv7

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a partially built RV-8. Along with it came an entire shop of tools, and 2 emergency chutes.

They were both in carrying bags, and had been stored in a nice dry environment. I don't see any tags or paperwork with them, so their age and type are unknown. They appear to be in nice shape on the outside, although I am aware this means nothing about the inside. Anybody have recommendations for where to send them for repacking, or analysis? any ideas how much a repack costs?

Caleb

Check your favorite online or paper sources for a skydiving operation, and give them a call to see if they can check them out and repack for you.

There should be a repacking card, usually tucked in a pocket somewhere on the harness or container that will tell you when they were last packed. If not, then there isn’t much pedigree on them anyway, and they may not be worth much - except as sun shades.

Check the top of the chute pack, right where your neck would be. This is where many chutes hide a pouch with the packing date and other information.

Strong Enterprises

I bought an old parachute and shipping it to the manufacturer - Strong Enterprises for inspection and repack. They repacked and inspected and shipped it back and said all was well.

Since they gotto be repacked, I would open them up. Somewhere inside the container or on the risers should be a tag with the manufactures name, model, and date of manufacture. Sending them back to the manufacture is always an option for inspection/repack or as mentioned, orfind a loft at a larger skydive facility, they deal with emergency chutes alot as the jump pilots typicaly use them.

Allen Silver has retired and I've taken over his Parachute Rigging business. You can call me tomorrow and I can tell you how the find the packing data card and answer any other questions you may have. My loft is in San Diego at Ramona Airport and business hours are M-F from 10am to 4p. 760 533-0341

Back