VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Default switch use on the stick

A question for the G3X users, just wondering what functions are available and advisable for using either a momentary or toggle switch on the stick. I will have two of them on my pilot side and one is going to be a momentary switch for A/P control wheel steering/disconnect. I am wondering what other functions are available with this or a toggle switch? I am considering "Ident" for transponder as a possibility.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Dues paid
Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 PM

Smoke system!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:56 AM

I went through everything when I put my wiring plan together and the only thing I could find worthwhile was using my spare button on the stick for engaging the autopilot wing level/alt hold (see pg 33-131 of the manual). It essentially replaces the LVL button on the GMC 307 autopilot controller, if you chose to do your install without the separate controller. It's my "hey buddy, will you hold this for a second" button, so I can quickly engage the autopilot without having to flip through anything on the screen.
If you search through the G3X install manual for the term "discrete input" it will lead you to a number of options dispersed throughout the manual, such as "manual reversion" for switching between ADAHRS, Take off/Go around, frequency swap, Electronic Stability Protection etc.
Tom.

Last edited by tgmillso : 01-08-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:59 AM

Default KISS

Keep It Simple S*******.
Put only those functions on the stick/throttle that are needed to help fly the plane. Functions that you really don't want to move your hands/eyes to perform. The ident button is NOT one of those.

Trim, transmit, smoke on/off, speed brakes/spoilers, auto pilot disengage (maybe), Nose wheel steering, are all good candidates.

I shudder when I see someone has put a start switch on the stick. If inflight restarts are done several times on each flight, this might be a good idea, otherwise....NO.

If you have to think about which finger to move to perform a function, then that function should not be at your finger tips.
2018 dues exempt but paid anyhow
F100,A7D,A10,F16,
Fokker,Boeing,McDonnell-Douglas
Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 AM

Cool Stick controls

Put AP and back channel swap. That's all you need. Also if you aren't familiar, learn course steering (hold down AP), it's nice.

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 01-08-2018, 07:22 AM

I have an Infinity grip so lots of buttons/switch options. Regardless of the grip brand you have, I agree on keeping it limited to switches that you want to access without having to look for it. The top of my sticks have the A/P Disconnect/Control Wheel Steering (CWS), Trim (coolie hat), and Flap switches. My "trigger" switch is the PTT. I also have an VP-200 ack on my thumb switch (don't use it anymore and haven't reassigned it to anything else) and Com 1 flip-flop on my pinky (I never use it as I'm in the habit of doing it right on the radio as I'm usually dialing in a new freq right after the change).

PS-- I've been asked to "ident" exactly once in the past 200 hrs (and I'm based in the DC SFRA in Class D under Class B and fly IFR frequently); my point is it doesn't happen enough to warrant placement on the stick. YMMV....
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 01-08-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Thank you all for your input. I won't have smoke system otherwise this would be good option.
Dues paid
Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM

Big fan of simple myself. I added 'ident' last year when I started doing a bunch of IFR work. I'm under the class B and have lots of class D fields around with radar and was asked to ident quite a bit. The ident button has come in very handy. Other than trim and PTT, I have AP disc and ident.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 01-08-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:48 AM

I have an Infinity "fighter style" grip festooned with switches and have to admit having a hard time finding a function for all of them. Trim, flaps and Radio transmit are obvious, in addition I have AP, smoke, and freq. flip flop.

The smoke replaced my first foray into the "Start" function on the stick. I debated that one quite a while and eventually found it useful on the Rocket, which can be a handful to hot start while holding the stick firmly back. Since I'll be EFI from here on out, the start button on the stick makes no sense. Besides, an extra button makes a good excuse to add a smoke system, right?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 01-08-2018, 10:54 AM

I'll be using Dynon, but as another data point here is the setup I'm going with on my Tosten grip.

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill