What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wago Distribution Panel

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I just got these in, and wanted to share. They are cheap, small, reconfigurable, and very useful. Prior to this, I was using a Fast-on distribution panel, and it was twice the size, and a complete mess. These look and function like a dream, and allow much better access and organization.

igwznk.jpg

(Sorry about the upsidedown picture, I took this while inverted :rolleyes: )

They are called Wago 221's and you can get them at Amazon here:

They hold wire from 12 to 26awg, and will carry 35 amps each. You can mix and match however you want. They securely hold a stripped wire, and you can remove a wire without cutting it. You can also do a circuit test without removing the wire.

I also bought the Wago 221-500's from Future Electronics, to mount them to a DIN rail.

How?

Chuck,
Looks like a well made product as I goggled it and watched the company video about the 221's. The 221 appears to me to connect wires like a wire nut would except you can easily add or remove or test it.
Can you explain how you are using it in your wiring system?
I am imagining a 4 slot unit and you bring power to one slot and take power out from the other three?? The same for grounds, etc. I am guessing with a good labeling system and a schematic it could work.
Just curious about your thoughts as how you are using it.
Thanks

There are several situations where these come up, and certainly there are other alternatives. Here are a few:

1) Using them as a Bus bar to distribute power for an Emergency Bus. They are rated up to 35 amps.
2) Using them to combine multiple wires into one, or wires of differing gauges. I am aware that there are butt splices that do this as well.
3) Giving a clean place for a disconnect between devices.

In my case, I have all 3 situations. I would probably not have used them for #2, except that I have there there now, so why not.

In the case of #2, I took the dual Dynon serial wires that need to be combined, then ran to a device, and used this to serve as a 2-to-1, and a disconnect point.

An example of situation #3, my Auto Pilot Disconnect signal drives a pitch and roll AP servo, and when Dynon offers it, I can add a Yaw Dampner servo, and wire in the disconnect simply by running the wire here, without any splicing. It is accessable without having to dive deep behind the panel with tools. I am anticipating/dreading ever having to do that, once the top skin is in place, so I have done my best to make everything serviceable once that area becomes closed up.

Purpose tested?

Has anyone done any in-depth testing on these to confirm they are suitable for aircraft electrical connections? What exactly is the method for retaining the stranded cable if not a solid crimp? My first impression is that these were intended for rigid commercial/residential electrical connections, and using in an aircraft environment isn't to be taken lightly - especially where long term vibration could lead to a connection failure in IMC. We all appreciate the flexibility that EAB affords, but fuel and electrical system design and component selection is one area to proceed in cautiously.

The one concern I have for these connections is detailed in AC 43.13-1B:

11-177. WIRE TERMINALS AND BINDING POSTS. All wire terminals in or on electrical equipment, except case ground, must be firmly held together with two nuts or suit- able locking provisions, or should be secured in a positive manner to equipment in such a way that no insulation material is involved in maintaining physical pressure between the various current carrying members of an electrical connection.

Last edited:
Valid Point

Has anyone done any in-depth testing on these to confirm they are suitable for aircraft electrical connections? What exactly is the method for retaining the stranded cable if not a solid crimp? My first impression is that these were intended for rigid commercial/residential electrical connections, and using in an aircraft environment isn't to be taken lightly - especially where long term vibration could lead to a connection failure in IMC. We all appreciate the flexibility that EAB affords, but fuel and electrical system design and component selection is one area to proceed in cautiously.

The one concern I have for these connections is detailed in AC 43.13-1B:

11-177. WIRE TERMINALS AND BINDING POSTS. All wire terminals in or on electrical equipment, except case ground, must be firmly held together with two nuts or suit- able locking provisions, or should be secured in a positive manner to equipment in such a way that no insulation material is involved in maintaining physical pressure between the various current carrying members of an electrical connection.

I had to read that AC several times before I realized it was saying that the insulation material should NOT be involved in maintaining physical pressure. These connectors do meet that requirement.

The manufacturer does say they are suitable for solid, stranded, and fine stranded wires. The method of retention is direct pressure from a sprung internal contact (collectively known as a spring cage terminal). Raising the clamp relieves the pressure, allowing insertion and removal. If the clamp fails, the wire remains in position. In addition, I found this interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edxJpguyX8

Never the less, you have a very valid point. I will make sure I inspect this closely and regularly throughout the life of the aircraft. Your feedback was very much appreciated, and I am taking it seriously.

Back