What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian Sport Pilots

BlndRvtr

Well Known Member
Does Canada have a Sport Pilot category? If so, does it allow folks to fly LSAs without a medical? On a related note, are there any RV-12s being built in Canada?

George

Last edited:
Sport Pilot

No Canada does not have a Sport Pilot category. No Canada does not have an LSA category. There are quite a few RV-12s being built in Canada but they will have to be licenced as an amateur built.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Do you see Light Sport categories on the northern horizon?

George

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Do you see Light Sport categories on the northern horizon?
Our Recreational Pilot Permit and the Advanced Ultralight (AULA) category have been in place for many years before LSA and the Sport Pilot License were even discussed in the USA. The are not completely identical to the USA version, but they are fairly close, as near as I can tell. I think the biggest practical difference is that the AULA weight limit (1232 lb) is lower than the LSA weight limit. It is possible that the AULA weight limit could eventually be increased to match the LSA limit, which would ease approval of LSA aircraft in Canada.

Kevin, do you know if the medical requirements are the same?

-- Mark

Hope Kevin doesn't mind me answering this one. The medical requirements for an Ultralight license in Canada and the Recreational pilot license are the same as stated in C.A.R. 421.21 and 421.22 respectively section 2a An applicant shall hold a Category 4 Medical Certificate valid for a (Pilot Permit - Ultra-light Aeroplane./Pilot Permit ? Recreational ? Aeroplane.)

The category 4 is essentially a self-certification that you don't have any medical conditions that preclude the safe operation of an aircraft. If you think that you may, IIRC any family doctor can testify that any symptoms would likely not cause incapacitation or pose a safety hazard. Hope that answers your question.

Graham

Note that if you're holding a Private Pilot's License and your aviation doctor pulls your medical for some reason, you can't go self-certify and drop back to a Recreational Pilot Permit. Just wanted to throw that in there because it seems a lot of pilots think that's how it works.

Back