What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Travel Limits

cwharris

Got a quick question. I was measuring my elevator travel limits tonight and I'm only getting 27.5 up and 23.7 down. Will this work or do I need to do something to make it closer to the listed 30 up and 25 down. By the way the brackets are bottoming out so I wouldn't know what to do if what I'm getting won't work.

Once you have tail cone and emp. attached to the fuselage there are checks for elevator travel with them connected to the control system.
I am pretty sure it provides details for adjusting if/as necessary.

Where are the control horn hitting to limit you? With the stabilizer off the fuselage you should easily get 30 +degrees before hitting the top skin and 25+ before you hit the notch in the rear spar. If the stab is mounted the horns might contact the brackets on the aft deck but later in another section mention that you can file notches in those pieces enough to give you the required 30/25 degrees. On my plane I had 30+ up and 25+ down before I mounted the stabilizer but only 27 up and 25 down afterwards so I will need to make an adjustment later.

Where are the control horn hitting to limit you? With the stabilizer off the fuselage you should easily get 30 +degrees before hitting the top skin and 25+ before you hit the notch in the rear spar. If the stab is mounted the horns might contact the brackets on the aft deck but later in another section mention that you can file notches in those pieces enough to give you the required 30/25 degrees. On my plane I had 30+ up and 25+ down before I mounted the stabilizer but only 27 up and 25 down afterwards so I will need to make an adjustment later.

That is exactly what's happening to me. With everything mounted the Control Horns are bottoming out on the Aft Deck which is not allowing me to get my full travel needed. Do I notch the Aft Deck or the Control Horns in order to get my required travel?

Just found this out and I am getting the 28 up and 22 down. Why would the plans not tell you to wait until Section 36 to adjust or that you won't get the required travel until fixing later in the plans.

This would save Van's a bunch of people asking why they can't get the required travel of the elevator. Weird.

Back