What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Repair

kstone

I am having the tip-up canopy replaced on my -7A. There was a fiberglass piece that wraps around the back of the canopy which looked to be cosmetic only. I would rather not go back with this piece on the new canopy. I've seen photos of tip-ups without this piece. Can someone advise what technique is used in lieu of the cover strip? Thanks in advance!

Targa Strip

kstone,

Looks like you have a targa strip. Lotsa builders put those on for additional wind and rain protection, and some for cosmetics. And....there are lots of people that do not install a targa.

Not sure if you are also replacing the aft part of the canopy while you're at it. Many of us use Sikaflex to bond the plexi to the frame, rather than use all those screws and make a bunch of holes.

Do a search for Sikaflex on the forum. You'll see many great examples. One benefit of Sikaflex is the black primer. The primer is applied to the plexi first, then it shows from the top. Makes a "targa" look and keeps things looking nice.

Bruce Hill shows a great example: http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project/Finish-Kit/Canopy/i-QQQDJ3K/A

Tipper

I installed my canopy with Sikaflex and no fibreglass targa strip. The black primer used for the Sika hides the roll bar and canopy frame (there are a number of well documented build sites showing this method). I think the fibreglass strip serves as an aesthetic cover as well as reinforcement for the back edge of the canopy, which seems to be prone to breakage at the lower rear corners (as shown in your pic). The shocks are not strong enough to support the canopy so if it slips out your grip while lifting or lowering chances are it will nail one corner of the roll bar and break it off...ask me how I know! Also, the canopy frame is flexible enough that there is always force put on the opposite side corner of the canopy when raising or lowering from the pilot side handle...notice the scrapped paint in your pic.

To eliminate this weak point you could shorten the canopy so it did not overhang the roll bar but the issue then would be sealing the resulting gap from the elements. You could probably add an extension to the top of the canopy frame section to overlap the roll bar and put the canopy over that for better durability.

I am very interested to see what solutions others have come up with.

Al

Ken
The strip is optional. There is no special technique to not having it.
The canopy can be screwed on, glued on or what ever as long as you are happy with how it looks.
The strips are usually installed for a few reasons: to cover up the screws or whatever is used to attach the canopy to the frame, to hide defects on the canopy edges and maybe to keep moisture out.
If you don't like seeing the structure under the plexi, you can even paint a strip on the canopy to hide it.
So, you have a few options.
Good luck

Back