What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

10-13 reduced diameter on J-CHANNEL

OrenAir

Page 10-13, step 2. Use a reduced diameter female die on the J-Channel of the bottom skin.

The holes along the skin edge that are about 1/2 inch away from the J-Channel on the skin itself, or the stiffeners that connect to it? It seems like the wording wants the skin edge holes but I don't see why to use a reduced diameter. There is lots of room. What am i missing?

Your die may be fine, I didn't have to use a reduced diameter every time they called it out, however, they are calling it out so you don't damage the part as there may be a slight curve from the forming process.

Edit: Kind of like fluting if you deform that curve accidentally with a die it could twist the skin.

Last edited:
So it's talking about the holes on the actual skin? They just seemed too far away to be "on the J-Channel". Maybe I'm overthinking it.

So it's talking about the holes on the actual skin? They just seemed too far away to be "on the J-Channel".

The F-01478 skin has a J-Channel formed along the edges., not the holes that F-01486C attaches to. They don't want you introducing any twist by the die deforming the curve from the skin to the channel.

Last edited:
Back