Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-31-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
In my case both instances were with a 4 point harness. That is just one of the reasons I am a big advocate of 5 point harnesses in RV's

Adding the 5th point and adjusting its belt properly pretty much eliminates any vertical movement, so short of doing neg. G aerobatics, I don't see why anyone would need to add modifications to the belt system.

BTW, no one should be doing neg G without a secondary belt anyway.
....The -4 Gs we did wasn't by choice, and even with the 5 point a regulation size man will still hit his head in a hard downdraft at speed. I tried it with the lap belt so tight it was extremely uncomfortable (Couldn't fly like that) and you can still hit the canopy. I will show this in a video demonstration shortly.
Thank, Allan..
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 01-31-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
In my case both instances were with a 4 point harness. That is just one of the reasons I am a big advocate of 5 point harnesses in RV's

Adding the 5th point and adjusting its belt properly pretty much eliminates any vertical movement, so short of doing neg. G aerobatics, I don't see why anyone would need to add modifications to the belt system.

BTW, no one should be doing neg G aerobaticswithout a secondary belt anyway.
Edited above for clarity. I misassumed that what I meant was obvious.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Meyer View Post
I certainly understand that. I am trying to decide between the 7,9, and 14. I am leaning towards the 14, but as of yet, still undecided. It is a large commitment of time and money and I would like to be confident in my decision. And also my wife says I suffer from analysis paralysis, and yep, I believe she is right!
you are doing the right thing to take some time to settle on the model. whatever the choice, if you make the right decision it will keep you happy for the long run.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Meyer View Post
In the RV7 vs RV9 debate, have you considered the RV14? It perhaps gives you the best of both worlds?
The good thing is you can't go wrong with either of the three.

Building the -7 and -9 are pretty much the same. The -9 has a few more rivets to drive simply because it has a longer wing, which may add about an hour additional to the total build time. Other than that, the effort is the same.

The quality of the -14 kit is just stunning. So many more of the parts are pre-made. Go look at the difference in build time in hours and years between the 7/9 and the 14. It is definitely in favor of the -14.

Whichever you select, you will be convinced it is the best of the litter.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Staring at the numbers, it's hard to tell what really matters. For instance, baggage. Van's lists the RV9 baggage capacity at 75# and the RV7 at 100#. How can that be, if they have the same fuselage? Perhaps it's a cg thing, assuming a smaller engine in the -9?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
Staring at the numbers, it's hard to tell what really matters. For instance, baggage. Van's lists the RV9 baggage capacity at 75# and the RV7 at 100#. How can that be, if they have the same fuselage? Perhaps it's a cg thing, assuming a smaller engine in the -9?
That's been a point of contention for so time. My builder manual lists 100 lbs and my CG allows for it.

I'm not sure when or why it was changed to 75 pounds. Scott?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
100# baggage limit in my RV9A with 1800# gross. CG within Van's specified limits. No realistic way to exceed the CG fore or aft.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
100# baggage limit in my RV9A with 1800# gross. CG within Van's specified limits. No realistic way to exceed the CG fore or aft.
Same here. Even after painting, which moved the CG aft more, I can't get out of CG range unless the pilot (me) weighs about 40 pounds and I'm on empty fuel load (with full 100 pounds of baggage).
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 02-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
It is simply a c.g. thing. Been confirmed through vans multiple times and has been documented in archives here on VAF. My cg with 0320 Catto prop and 4# crush late allows 100# in all configurations.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 PM

I learned about the unsuspecting violent turbulence while flying my solo cross country in a 172 earning my PPL long ago. Beautiful day , nice and smooth ,then almost got my neck broke. Luckily stayed conscious or I wouldn't be here. Going to put 5 point in my 6 when I pull it down to put my autopilot in. Should have done that long ago. OH , almost forgot....I would just buy a really clean 6. (with a 7 cowl) Wouldn't trade mine for any of them