What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodine is now Bonderite

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I saw this from the FAA today. FYI, Alodine is now Bonderite.

SAIB: HQ-18-09 Date: February 5, 2018

Introduction
This Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin is to provide awareness of an approved alternative method of compliance (AMOC) to all FAA airworthiness directives (ADs) and previously approved AMOCs that mandate the application of Alodine for all FAA type certificated aircraft, engines and propellers. The AMOC allows the use of the renamed Henkel Bonderite products as an alternative to the former Henkel Alodine products when complying with FAA ADs and previously approved AMOCs.
At this time, the airworthiness concern is not an unsafe condition that would warrant airworthiness directive (AD) action under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 39.
Background
Alodine is a metal protective coating used in many applications including in the aerospace industry. The FAA has issued many ADs and AMOCs that specifically call out for application of Alodine. Many of the ADs that mandate the use of Alodine, do not specifically call out Alodine in the language of the AD, but do require compliance with design approval holder service instructions or service bulletins that specify the use of Alodine in a repair or modification. Henkel, the manufacturer of Alodine, is changing the name of the product from Alodine to Bonderite, but the actual product is unchanged. The unavailability of Alodine will make it difficult to comply with ADs or previously approved AMOCs that require the application of Alodine. This Bonderite AMOC allows the use of the renamed Henkel Bonderite products as an alternative to the former Henkel Alodine products when complying with FAA ADs and previously approved AMOCs.
Recommendations
This SAIB is to notify the aviation community of the availability of this Bonderite AMOC. This AMOC is also posted on FAAs RGL with this SAIB to facilitate access to the AMOC. The FAA recommends you evaluate this AMOC and if you use Alodine in repairs or modifications to comply with ADs or previously approved AMOCs, you can use this AMOC as a part of your compliance with the AD or AMOC.

I was just coming here to post that.

I guess they got tired of their product being the genericized name for these conversion coatings?

I'm just looking forward to the next five years at work, getting all kinds of calls from customers saying "they told us Aoldine was discontinued! And they gave us this stuff instead but our manual says to use Alodine!" and having to patiently explain, over and over, that you can use it because it's the same stuff.

Why can't marketing people just leave things alone?

Kitplanes magazine ran an article last June that said the fine print on the Bonderite container labels says ?Bonderite C-IC 33 Aero Acid Deoxidizer is known as AlumiPrep 33,? and ?Bonderite M-CR 1201 Aero Chromate Coating is known as Alodine 1201.?

Back