VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Thumbs up

Didn't expect that Mitch, thanks for checking in sir! There are some really great ideas here so I really do hope that you take some of them to heart. Van's could never go wrong by just doing what it does best, continue to put out a nice flying, easy to build product at a affordable price.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 AM

Videos .. My wish list would have Van's offer a library of professional quality videos for various tasks that covers what first time builders need throughout the entire build process.

In additional helping builders produce a higher quality product that will sell more airplanes it will help sell more kits than anything else by eliminating the apprehension of potential customers thinking they "can't build an airplane".

In the new modern internet world people are doing research online before making a purchase like this. Running across a huge, organized library of official company "how to" videos would make the decision easy.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:28 AM

I would love the opportunity to build my own 6-seat twin (or single, but preferably a twin).

With the rapid advances in electrical energy storage technology, I wonder when it will be viable to consider a kit-based multi-motor (think many small fans) electric airplane similar to some of the real experimental stuff that has been coming out recently.

While even the best batteries are badly outclassed by liquid fuels right now, it is possible that this will change in the next couple of decades. When that happens (probably due in large part to advances driven by drone and automotive tech), it will be a very interesting time.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Videos .. My wish list would have Van's offer a library of professional quality videos for various tasks that covers what first time builders need throughout the entire build process.

In additional helping builders produce a higher quality product that will sell more airplanes it will help sell more kits than anything else by eliminating the apprehension of potential customers thinking they "can't build an airplane".

In the new modern internet world people are doing research online before making a purchase like this. Running across a huge, organized library of official company "how to" videos would make the decision easy.
Also I agree with this...it might even be supportable with an ad-based monetization on Youtube. Getting pro-quality videos out there in front of "the masses" might drive more kit sales...
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Amen on a video library

The vid on doing the windscreen to forward deck fairing being a good example of daunting tasks made less so by good hand-holding

I know this takes time, but if Stein can do it for avionics...

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
The vid on doing the windscreen to forward deck fairing being a good example of daunting tasks made less so by good hand-holding

I know this takes time, but if Stein can do it for avionics...
Exactly...I forgot to mention that video even though I was thinking of it...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 AM

Yup a video library of major tasks would make many wanna be's builder bees when they can see the task being done and it is not quite so daunting.
Maule M5-235C SOLD
C-172G SOLD
Stinson L5 SOLD
Grumman AA1A SOLD
Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Default Speed

I asked Van once "what about a turbine". I just got the stare. I assume I was the 20,000th person asking the same question that day. He just went back to writing on his yellow legal pad with what I assume where more good ideas he was thinking about.

My assumption, or his look was saying "son you do not understand the danger".

Then I picked up the copy of the article on flutter they have at the booth at most of the airshows. It was a good handout for my question, I assume that is why it is there. Then I looked up some videos on the subject and it will scare the **** out of you!

On the other hand, it seems that engineers have a much greater grip on why and what makes it happen. I am sure Van and his teams are the top of the crop of engineers that can figure it out. It is more a focus of "it is worth it" Even on this forum when people talk of the Rocket it only goes a little faster but it seems to be the quest for many.

Aviation always has trade offs, but... It seems greater speed is within reach.

On the flip side, floats would be a great value. If you go to the Alaska Airmen show up in Anchorage there are floats everywhere! And the desired plane up there if often and older Cessna taildragger with floats. Basically a more powerful RV- 10 /14.

Fun to dream, but hopefully my RV-14 won't be updated / outdated like the obsolete 12's.
Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings ordered
Grateful to pay dues 18'

Old 12-01-2017, 02:19 PM

They don't need a new airplane; they need a new way to help builders. Everyone I know who's completed an RV in less than 10 years was an engineer or someone else who worked with plans professionally. Zenith is giving their builders a read-only copy of the SolidWorks files for their airplanes. I can't imagine how great it would be to see the parts in 3-D from every angle before putting them together. Almost every mistake I've made started with mis-reading the plans.

For instance, the plans show all kinds of little symbols to denote rivet sizes. Imagine being able to hover the mouse over the symbols instead of having to look back and forth between the drawing and the legend.

Or, how many places on the plans are you directed to look at another view, something like "A-A'?" You should be able to click on the spot in question and drag it around until you've seen it from every angle.

The airplanes are pretty mature, but the plans and manuals are due for some modernization. And that's coming from a guy in his 50's!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLock View Post
To everyone and especially Mr. Mach .26...
We do happen to have that tapered RV wing under development, designed by the guy who developed the RV-10 and RV-14 wing profile...