What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini with G3X

Slice

Well Known Member
Planning on doing a complete panel redo with the G3X being the primary. I am also looking at using the GRT Mini as a backup source and installing the Mini and EIS now as a temp fix(my aircraft systems monitoring capabilities are well below what I want for long x/c flying) until I have the funds to do the entire project.

Will the GRT sensors work with the G3X when it comes time to install the Garmin or will everything need to be redone again? Trying to minimize redundant labor and sensor costs if possible.

Thanks.

Good news! The EGT/CHT harness will plug right into the G3X engine module.
The current fuel flow sensor will work also (flowscan or red cube)
So, you need new MP, OP, FP and probably oil temp. Under 400 bucks.

Planning on doing a complete panel redo with the G3X being the primary. I am also looking at using the GRT Mini as a backup source and installing the Mini and EIS now as a temp fix(my aircraft systems monitoring capabilities are well below what I want for long x/c flying) until I have the funds to do the entire project.

Will the GRT sensors work with the G3X when it comes time to install the Garmin or will everything need to be redone again? Trying to minimize redundant labor and sensor costs if possible.

Thanks.

Hello Slice,

Not sure we understand the reason to install the mini.

What are you using now for display of engine data in your plane?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

My engine data now consists of the basic round gauges and a basically useless EGT/CHT probe. My reason for going with the Mini is that with the EIS I think it would be a solid interim solution for what my end goal is while greatly enhancing my systems monitoring capabilities. And to do this right(according to my brain) it's going to cost me $25K or so including a 650. Even if I go with the 625 with your deal right now, I desire dual Nav/Com so I'd probably blow most of the savings on a second SL30 or the like.

With the single G3X(10.6 touch if I can get it all to fit) instead of installing a backup ADAHRS I would put in a G5 which gives me that and more. So ultimately I'd have 3 attitude sources with one being dissimilar manufacturer which can't hurt.

I want to pay cash for all of this so I'm looking at about a year before I could do the complete panel.

Anyway, that's the shorter version of the plan...

Hi Steve,

My engine data now consists of the basic round gauges and a basically useless EGT/CHT probe. My reason for going with the Mini is that with the EIS I think it would be a solid interim solution for what my end goal is while greatly enhancing my systems monitoring capabilities. And to do this right(according to my brain) it's going to cost me $25K or so including a 650. Even if I go with the 625 with your deal right now, I desire dual Nav/Com so I'd probably blow most of the savings on a second SL30 or the like.

With the single G3X(10.6 touch if I can get it all to fit) instead of installing a backup ADAHRS I would put in a G5 which gives me that and more. So ultimately I'd have 3 attitude sources with one being dissimilar manufacturer which can't hurt.

I want to pay cash for all of this so I'm looking at about a year before I could do the complete panel.

Anyway, that's the shorter version of the plan...

Hello Slice,

Ok, I think we understand the plan now. Didn't realize the timing of the various upgrades.

Just something to consider is installing the GDU 460 first with one GSU25 ADAHRS (with magnetometer and OAT probe) and one GEA24 engine monitor. This would allow you to both address the engine monitoring improvements you desire and get a great start on your full upgrade. Additionally, you would skip the need to move the engine probes later from the mini to the GEA24. The other devices including the G5 could come later.

Put another way, if you install a small display which adds EIS monitoring, you will say "hey, that looks nice", but if you install the GDU 460 with EIS you will say "wow! where have you been all my life!". :)

Image3.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Put another way, if you install a small display which adds EIS monitoring, you will say "hey, that looks nice", but if you install the GDU 460 with EIS you will say "wow! where have you been all my life!". :)

Image3.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Well, I've been around the block a few times in my quarter century as an aviator so I don't know if I'd go that far, but I get where you're coming from. ;)

Back