What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Underwing Ordnance?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever mounted underwing ordnance on an RV? Something like this?

GP%20Bomb%20With%20Shanckle%20Mount.jpg

What kind of effect did it have on flight characteristics, and airspeed loss?

Depends on the weight but would be a signifant increase in stall speed and therefore landing speed.

Numerous RVs in the D.C. area have "Rubber Chicken" launchers that they use once a year at the "Rubber Chicken" drop. They would be the ones to ask about how the airplane is in the air with the Ordnance installed.

A pumpkin dropper on my Rocket. I used a solenoid from a rear hatch on a old jeep to activate the "spear". When you flipped the switch, the spear pivoted down and released the pumpkin.
The first time I dropped one at a pumpkin dropping contest I activated them mechanism too soon and missed the airport!
We called that embarassement premature pumpkulation.

(My apologies for the rotated picture, lean to the left!)

2u4k8ph.jpg

We can have these bomb racks functional as there is a release mechanism that can be used. Might not want to mention that to the friendly aviator association, however.

We can have these bomb racks functional as there is a release mechanism that can be used. Might not want to mention that to the friendly aviator association, however.

Current operating limitations address this:
"If the aircraft will have removable externally mounted equipment, it must be test flown in all configurations.
An entry must be made in the aircraft records indicating the configurations flight-tested, unless the original manufacturer’s flight test data for that equipment is included in the aircraft limitations. If relying on the manufacturer’s data, the aircraft and load must conform to the manufacturer’s design and be maintained to manufacturer’s instructions. Otherwise, the aircraft owner/operator must conduct test flights in all configurations and make an entry in the aircraft records indicating the configurations flight-tested. (40)"

Surprisingly, the flight envelope for releasing stores might be narrower than you'd think. I've seen movies taken of stores released where the released device came up and hit the airplane. You won't know that unless you've got a high speed camera taking a video of the event from a chase plane. The chase isn't chasing in this case, it's off your wing and well clear.

Start slowly and work up to the higher speeds and descent angles. Don't go to the next test point until you're absolutely certain that no threatening tendencies are showing up. Keep your test points close together.

And before doing all that, do a series of new flutter clearance tests.

This isn't something to be taken casually.

Dave

Tom Hunter posted this tasteful Youtube video "Flight Testing A Small Drop Tank..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_TqOB6_Jk
My RV-8 has fuselage hard points that supported a 'rotationally symmetrical' muffler when I was running my Turbo Rotary engine. I could still use them to fasten a Vetterman Fuselage fairing, cargo pod or...?

Back