What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Night time flying

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
I've never flown my RV12 at night and I'm looking for input from those who have. How is the glare from all the TV screens in the cockpit? Any reflection problems with runway lighting? Is the cockpit light adequate? Any information you can provide is appreciated.
Thanks

The self dimming feature on skyview works well. If you have a koger sunshade the glare is diminished even more.

I used to have a Yak-52. It was a day VFR trainer, but when licensed in the US it was equipped with Nav lights and strobes. After a couple years of blissful day flying I stretched my last leg home from OSH and found out the normally lit indicator panel was blinding on final at night, so I ended up shutting off my master on final. If you have questions about glare go out to the airport some night and sit on the ramp with everything on to see if it is distracting.

I've never flown my RV12 at night and I'm looking for input from those who have. How is the glare from all the TV screens in the cockpit? Any reflection problems with runway lighting? Is the cockpit light adequate? Any information you can provide is appreciated.
Thanks

I did what Rich suggested the other evening, taxied out to check night time issues. The dimmer switch works well😎....landing light just so so....will consider adding a second one when the FAA complies with Congress on rules re-write and i can operate as a private pilot..

Cockpit light.

I needed more than the cockpit light. I wear a small pen light, on a lanyard around my neck, to check notes, etc.

Back