Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2020, 04:50 PM

Default What did you do with your RV this Weekend (2/15-2/16)

I did not see a previous thread so.......

I was fully planning on working on my master bath renovation project but, the wife needed her glasses at work and we were out of dishwasher tabs. Pie and I loaded up to deliver the glasses and stop by Wal-mart for dishwasher tabs. On the way out of Wal-mart I saw several familiar cars at Burger King for the 3ish coffee break. The hangar talkers usually meet at BK in the afternoon and Pie was able to score a couple "sympathy" dollars to buy a soda.
A little hangar talk along with mid 50's led to "I probably better stir the oil" and a .5 flight with Pie, calm winds and a greased on wheelie to finish it off.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 PM

Sounds like a nice time!

Not much RV flying for me this weekend; too busy with work. However, I did manage to pick my friend Tony up (in my car) from the San Diego airport. From there, we went up to Carlsbad and had lunch, and then drove up to the airport for a quick RV walk around, and flight. Down to San Diego, through the VFR corridor, and then reversed course back to Carlsbad. Tony's first time in an RV. He loved it.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:12 AM

Flew my RV6A from Frederick, MD to Sky Acres 44N, for lunch, then a tour of the Hudson down by West Point, to the Tappan Zee then home. Nice day. My friend with freshly minted ASEL rating maybe got a little stick time also.

Lunch at Sky Acres was in a nice restaurant on the field, complete with a welcome fireplace. The runway has a slope, and with calm winds, folks were doing downhill takeoffs and uphill landings. Makes for an interesting time in the pattern.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"

Last edited by RVDan : 02-17-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:43 AM

Those pics of Pie make me smile. Such a sweetie.

I got up for about an hour and a half, took a close look at the flooding downstream of the Pickwick Dam and generally just burned some gas and stirred the oil. When you get a nice day this time of the year, you gotta go fly!
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 02-17-2020, 05:39 PM

Andy,
We have a “Pie” too - Addie-Pie, usually referred to as just “Pie”. She is one of three of my granddaughters. I will make at least one of the three of them, and maybe my one grandson a pilot. Pie’s younger sister, AMELIA is an aggressive fireball who can’t get enough of..... me! She’s a shoe-in. Anyway, your “Pie” looks happy and confident sitting there in the right seat. I love to see pilot parents including their kids in their love of flying. It’s the only way we can insure the continuation of this avocation that we sometimes take for granted. I wish the best for you and your “Pie”.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2020
Old 02-17-2020, 08:29 PM

Flew up to Santa Monica on Sunday to deliver some repaired wing tips. Got those installed, and we were interrupted by a pre-TFR fly in of the Marine One (sans POTUS) and the backup helicopter, along with 3 Ospreys. It took forever for them to open up the field again for arrivals/departures. I was idling in the run up area for 30 minutes!

I flew from there over to Compton via the Special flight rules corridor over LAX. Met with another RV pilot and we did a quick flight in formation out over the Pacific. I departed back home from there.

Today I flew my daughter up to visit Grandma on her 84th birthday. I flew into Cable Airport and it was quite busy on this beautiful day. We had Pastrami for lunch at "The Hat" in Upland (yum!).
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs

Last edited by bruceh : 02-17-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 AM

[/quote]

One of the cutest pics ever placed on VAF!
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:50 AM

Ahhhh, thanks for the kind comments everyone!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 AM

So on Friday I went up on a silly flight. I was just intending on going up for a quick 20-30 minute aerobatic ride. I checked the weather and the winds aloft. I noticed the winds up high were howling, a 60 knot westerly wind. It seems like most of time on cross country, I’m facing a significant headwind instead of riding an enormous tailwind.

I decided to change the mission’s objective from getting the blood flowing with aerobatics to capitalizing on the tailwind just to say I did it. It ended up being a 17 minute flight up to 13.5 for a few minutes and back down. Silly, I know, but I still had fun!

Level flight with a tailwind. Nice!

Level flight into the headwind just to see if I could get it stopped. It wasn’t until I got back down and looked at the picture more carefully, that I realized I was actually going backwards! I was facing west in this picture, but tracking East.

This one is in a descent. It’s the fastest ground speed I’ve ever seen. Yes, I am aware of the Vne and true airspeed limits.

Some you VAF old timers may remember my son looking like this:

Sunday was a big day for him. He earned his Glider Private Pilot certificate! We are so proud of him!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 AM

Jerry,

Please pass on my congratulations to Max. I absolutely remember him as the cool kid in the picture. He was always my favorite person to see when I visited FFC. He has grown up to be a very impressive young man, and already quite an accomplished pilot.

Keith