- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Engine & Avionics Installation parts

Both my engine and avionics should be here in about 2-3 weeks. I'd like to order some supplies now VS waiting till I need them before I order. Have several questions about what parts / supplies to get as well as many other questions I don't even know to ask yet. So any advice related to engine, firewall forward or avionics (plug and play panel by Aerotronics) install is welcome.

Specific questions:
1) Battery related questions:
What length battery cables? EarthX battery going in stock Van's location (behind baggage bulkhead). I know what cables to order, just not sure what length to get for each.

Did you run ground directly to engine, or run to stud on firewall, then another wire to engine on other side of firewall?

If you ran ground to firewall stud, is there something specific to use, or just a threaded steel rod with washers and nuts?
2) Firewall penetrations:
How many penetrations are best? (Van's has two, is that enough?)

What size should passthrough sleeves be? (Stainless pass through sleeves comes in various sizes. What's best?)

Where should they be? (Stock locations of one on each side??)
3) Oil door on cowl.
I want hidden latches and hinge. Links to recommended ones would appreciated)
4) Throttle quadrant passthrough.
What parts did you use for your throttle quadrant holes?
So those are some questions I have so far.... I'm sure more will come as I progress.
Flying Mooney M20J
Tail Cone, Wings, Cabin top, Doors, Windows done. Engine hung, Prop & Spinner installed, Cowling fitted, Wheel Pants and Gear Leg Fairings done, Avionics delivered but waiting to be installed, Seats are being upholstered..... Itís beginning to feel like a plane.
Donation Happily Made 2020
Old 02-12-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanstory View Post
Specific questions:
3) Oil door on cowl.
I want hidden latches and hinge. Links to recommended ones would appreciated)
For the hidden oil door hinge go here: https://www.cleavelandtool.com/produ...fbe8c54c&_ss=r
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 02-12-2020, 03:47 PM

I bought 30 ft of #2 welding cable from amazon. Two stainless 1 inch shower curtain holders for each side placed six inches of fire sleeve over them and had plenty of space for all the wires. For a ground I put a large forest of tabs on the back starboard side of the firewall and on one of the studs on the forward side of the firewall I ran a ground wire to the engine case.
On the back side I ran a short wire to the langeron that runs under the door sill to the back and grounded by battery to that.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:08 PM

I used #2 tefzel for the positive, but don't recall the length. I did not run a ground to the f/w. It is grounded at the battery box and used welding cable for that. I used dedicated passthroughs for the #2 cable and oil cooler shutter bowden. I addition, I had three 3/4" BX conduit stubs and only filled two of them.

Larry
Old 02-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpencer46 View Post
I bought 30 ft of #2 welding cable from amazon. Two stainless 1 inch shower curtain holders for each side placed six inches of fire sleeve over them and had plenty of space for all the wires. For a ground I put a large forest of tabs on the back starboard side of the firewall and on one of the studs on the forward side of the firewall I ran a ground wire to the engine case.
On the back side I ran a short wire to the langeron that runs under the door sill to the back and grounded by battery to that.
I thought I was the only frugal person to use shower curtain holders for pass thrus😁
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 02-12-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I used #2 tefzel for the positive, but don't recall the length. I did not run a ground to the f/w. It is grounded at the battery box and used welding cable for that. I used dedicated passthroughs for the #2 cable and oil cooler shutter bowden. I addition, I had three 3/4" BX conduit stubs and only filled two of them.

Larry
I have 4 conduits plus 3-4 runs through grommets down the right hand side. I have plenty of room for everything.

I made my battery cables in place. Attached a lug on one end, snaked the cable through, attached the existing lug to the starter contactor, then marked and terminated the other lug. Like others, I used welding cable for the battery cables.

Van's sells some nice firewall pass throughs. They are smaller and lighter than the shower rod holders I bought for that purpose. More expensive too!
2019(?) RV-10