- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Default How to fix RV-6A that needs large changes in elevator trim

I bought a 6A some time ago and need some help understanding what changes I can make to it to reduce the need for large changes in elevator trim.

On final, I can't trim out the stick force with full nose-up trim. It's manageable, but I like to trim to a stable hands-off state and I can't do that today.

For takeoff, flaps up, the airplane rotates nicely with a fair amount of nose-up trim, and I have to trim aggressively down as the airplane accelerates. This isn't a huge deal for a normal takeoff but makes the airplane a handful on a go-around.

The trim movements I need to go from 80 mph to 120 mph are significant - much more than I'd like to have to do.

What should I check? CG comes to mind - I'm guessing that the airplane has a CG that is further forward than optimum. Would forward CG cause the need to trim more than a properly balanced aircraft? I don't want to start messing with stuff without understanding the aerodynamics causing the behavior I'm seeing.

The set up: Lycoming O-360 with a Hartzell constant speed prop. Battery on the aft side of the firewall.

Last edited by mtnflyr : 01-08-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-08-2020, 02:39 PM

From your post, it sounds like you are a new (non-builder) owner. If so, hope the following helps:
1. Get a set of plans/drawings from Van's that will describe/show how the trim system works and is adjusted. All RV owners, builder or not, should have these plans and drawings. You will need them for basic maintenance and troubleshooting (and just to understand your plane) in the future. Can be found here:
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...oduct=fd_plans

2. Assuming manual trim on a 6, you adjust the trim back where the trim cable comes out of the bottom of the elevator. There is a double set of nuts on the trim cable that can adjust travel both up and down where it connects to a bracket on the inspection cover plate. Generally speaking, a neutral trim tab should occur when the trim knob in the cockpit has roughly half of its turnability in each direction, but the actually amount of needed travel up and down in degrees is probably listed in the 6's manual and/or drawings. From your description it sounds like you need to make this adjustment.

Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2021

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 01-08-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:41 PM

The first thing I would do is a weight and balance. You might want to check the angle of incidence of the horizontal stabilizer also.
first flight May 2, 1997
RV8 #83830 tail done
Wing and fuselage kits ordered
Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Weisgerber View Post
The first thing I would do is a weight and balance. You might want to check the angle of incidence of the horizontal stabilizer also.
Plus one for these two items to check. RVs require a fair amount of pitch trim when flaps are used but if they are rigged correctly or there isn't a big issue with CG, all well within trim range. My RV7A needed trim but even with nearly full weight in the baggage, we never ran out of trim.
Dues paid
Old 01-08-2020, 03:33 PM

I only trim based on different loads. I can takeoff, trim and never touch the trim again for rest of the flight. Something has to be majorly wrong.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Weisgerber View Post
I second this. Even if the trim was misrigged, it should be much more sensitive. But I’d start with the basics, weight and balance. An aft CG will require excessive elevator, thus excessive trim. W&B is a place many home builders come up short.

If loaded CG is within limits, the next problem area could be horizontal angle of incidence. Need the plans set for that.
Good luck.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM

Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...

yep, all good answers above.

Talking incidence, also check the wings incidence, then the HS incidence. The relation between those 2 is important.

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3 View Post
I only trim based on different loads. I can takeoff, trim and never touch the trim again for rest of the flight. Something has to be majorly wrong.
That isn't my experience. Solo, my airplane requires full nose up trim to hold 75 knots with the flaps all the way down and power at idle. Effectively, this is my landing configuration. With a farther aft CG, the need for full up trim goes away. At the same (solo) CG and weight, trim is roughly neutral during full power takeoff and climb (assuming no flaps).
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 01-08-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Default hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3 View Post
So you are saying that you do not trim for different speeds? Highly unlikely...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
So you are saying that you do not trim for different speeds? Highly unlikely...
Unless his c.g. is very far aft. At the true neutral point, there would be no change in elevator position with speed. And if the horizontal tail incidence was chosen just right, there would be no change in hinge moment either.

For the OP, assuming your trim system is mechanically adjusted so that you are actually getting full tab deflection, then your observations strongly suggest you are very nose heavy.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 600
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Jan 2020