VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-26-2019, 11:05 AM

Thumbs up Ads b out tips?

Been away from here for a bit due to work. Sad.
Anyway just starting to do my research as i need to get adsb out on my bird.

For those that enjoy the tech and know whats out there... any tips.
Vfr bird, equipped with dynon skyview, dynon gps, a/p and syn view, mgl v10 com and garmin 327 transponder. Ipad with foreflight and stratus with adsb in.

I believe i can dump garmin 327 and switch to dynon trans and be good.
I believe there is an ad on to make the 327 ads b.
I know there are a ton of other solutions with other gear.

Anyone mind chiming in on cost effective quality solution? Been super happy with all my equip so far, dynon, garmin all no issues. If i went the dynon way i might also swap out my comm for dynon too and get that done.

Yes i know there are tons of ads b threads on here but i don know enough yet for some to make sense to me. :-)

Anyway appreciate any tips from the tech savvy folks that know the products and prices. Thanks!

Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 12-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Default WAAS

Do you have a WAAS GPS source. Must be WAAS. If not, likely effective and best price option is Uavionix EchoUAT. $1400.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Default confusing

This is where the headaches start...
See i have old dynon gps for the skyview, so not waas. If i understand correctly, i can upgrade to this..
https://www.dynonavionics.com/gps-receiver-module.php

Just a couple hundred, then i will have dynon waas, so is that best path and get dynon transponder to replace the garmin or get the 327 ad ons to make that a solution..or, t

Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 12-26-2019, 11:46 AM

Glad I'm not the only one waiting until the last minute!

I'm currently running a GTX-327 and decided to go with the Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B out box which I will install this weekend. It was $1750 from Stein and includes the WAAS position source. However, you'll need to mount another GPS antenna somewhere if you utilize the GDL-82s internal WAAS GPS position. If you have the option of upgrading your existing antenna/ recvr I'd go with that as it will be cleaner. Then you can use that as your position source in to the Uavionix or the GDL-82.
Garmin G3X
CFI, CFII, MEI
Old 12-26-2019, 12:15 PM

One other simple to install and low cost option is the Uavionics Tail Beacon. It is a very simple install, you just replace the white tail light with the Tail Beacon, and configure it with your iPhone/iPad or Android phone. It has it's own WAAS GPS receiver and antenna built in, and works with your existing Transponder. The only drawbacks are that it is a UAT frequency unit so only works in the USA, and it doesn't have a strobe light built in. It also doesn't have ADS-B In, but sounds like you already have that covered.

I installed one on my Grumman AA-5 in October (with help of a A&P/IA since it is not an EAB aircraft), and did the PAPR test and it works great. A very easy, simple solution for ADS-B out.

[Full Disclosure: I have installed the Garmin GTX 45R on my soon to be completed RV-10, so was looking for a simple low cost way to be compliant on my Grumman.]

Happy New Year

RV-10 Fuselage Moved to Airport Sept 15th for Finishing.
2020 VAF Dues Paid
Old 12-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Just list price from dynon web site..

upgrade my dynon gps to dynon waas gps $590
dynon ads b transponder $$2200
dynon ads b in wx and traffic receiver $795

Then may as well upgrade com as mgl v10 is basic.

dynon com $1295
dynon intercom $295 OR.... do i forget dynon com and intercom and switch to PS engineerings PDA360EX as a nice upgrade while spending $$

$5200 US before tax or wiring etc. Yikes

That would be a nice upgrade, not sure if ps audio is worth the extra. Just in planning stage but will keep stratus as the ipad with foreflight and stratus is nice back up. I suppose in the scope of aviation $5K aint a ton for all this but hurts a bit.

Will keep looking for tips before i pull the trigger. I am in Canuckland so no huge rush, just need installed and tweaked before next bahamas run in late april. Thanks for tips, keep them coming.

Last edited by RickWoodall : 12-26-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK77 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one waiting until the last minute!

I'm currently running a GTX-327 and decided to go with the Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B out box which I will install this weekend. It was $1750 from Stein and includes the WAAS position source. However, you'll need to mount another GPS antenna somewhere if you utilize the GDL-82s internal WAAS GPS position. If you have the option of upgrading your existing antenna/ recvr I'd go with that as it will be cleaner. Then you can use that as your position source in to the Uavionix or the GDL-82.
I did this same set up. Also bought it from Stein. I mounted the GPS antenna under the cowling on a platform secured to the firewall that I also got from Stein. Easy install. Works flawlessly.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWoodall View Post
Just list price from dynon web site..

upgrade my dynon gps to dynon waas gps $590
dynon ads b transponder $2200
This is all you need. Everything else you mentioned has nothing to do with the ADS-B mandate.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 12-26-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Ads-B

UAvionix TailBeacon installed in our RV-8 last week in 30 minutes. I, like you, have a 327 transponder and a source for ADS-B IN (GDL-39 already permanently installed in plane when I bought it). Flew a test flight and received a perfect score. I previously installed a GDL-82 in our RV-7 and it took pretty much all day to get it in and working.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
This is all you need. Everything else you mentioned has nothing to do with the ADS-B mandate.

+1. This option. Some day Canada may require ADSB, and it will not be UAT based. You mentioned the Bahamas: I do not know, but I would check out if they support UAT.
I know of no upgrade to the 327 to make it mode S-ES (ADSB).