What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-1 Wing

stonewallhayes

I'm New Here
I bought an already built 2002 Rv-8a. How do I know if it has a -1 wing or not? I read somewhere that the aerobatic limit is 1550 without it.

I had the same question in 2004 and asked Van's Aircraft. Scott Risan of Van's stated "Any spar serial # greater than 869 is a -1 spar." I received my RV-8A Quickbuild in 2001 and have spar serial number 962 so I have a -1 spar and aerobatic gross weight of 1,600 lbs.

Where is this spar serial number located?

I need to determine if I have a -1 wing or not

Thanks!

I had the same question in 2004 and asked Van's Aircraft. Scott Risan of Van's stated "Any spar serial # greater than 869 is a -1 spar." I received my RV-8A Quickbuild in 2001 and have spar serial number 962 so I have a -1 spar and aerobatic gross weight of 1,600 lbs.

Is that backwards?
I would think any spar number above 869 would be a -2 wing, but I don't really know?

Scott?

Is that backwards?
I would think any spar number above 869 would be a -2 wing, but I don't really know?

Scott?

I'm pretty sure the wing part numbers follow the convention in the rest of the kit. original part has no -1. Modified design of same part has the -1. (ie. W-715, W715-1)

If its not recorded somewhere in the Builder's log, you're quickest way will probably call Van's, I think they'll have a record of it in your customer file.

The serial numbers are vibro etched into the root end of the main spar. I think they are also documented on the wing kit invoice/shipping manifest.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the wing part numbers follow the convention in the rest of the kit. original part has no -1. Modified design of same part has the -1. (ie. W-715, W715-1)

If its not recorded somewhere in the Builder's log, you're quickest way will probably call Van's, I think they'll have a record of it in your customer file.

The serial numbers are vibro etched into the root end of the main spar. I think they are also documented on the wing kit invoice/shipping manifest.

Well I have conflicting data regarding what wing is on my -8:

Vans says it was the old 1550 wing design which was bought in 2000.

The logbook says the wing was replaced and/or rebuilt (unclear) and doesn't say when or what was done.

In many cases Vans has all the info you want. But what it cannot track is who did what, with what, and when.

The logbook says the wing was replaced and/or rebuilt (unclear) and doesn't say when or what was done.

In many cases Vans has all the info you want. But what it cannot track is who did what, with what, and when.

Yep, you're right. Given those facts though, does pulling the wing to read the serial number tell you what the builder did to it?

Yep, you're right. Given those facts though, does pulling the wing to read the serial number tell you what the builder did to it?

Well that's why I was asking where that serial number is recorded on the spar.

What you suggest is that I have to pull the wing to find out. I'd rather not do that if I didn't have to.

Vans also said that the differences between the -0 and the -1 wing include the fact that the RV-8 -1 wing tank and RV-7 tanks are interchangeable. And that the screw hole spacing on the top and bottom long edges of the tanks are different between -0 and -1.

Does anyone who knows whether or not they have a -1 tank on their RV-8 measure the screw hole spacing? I could compare with what I have on my spar flange.

Another option is to buy a -0 (or -1) wing tank skin and see if the holes line up with the spar flange.

Well that's why I was asking where that serial number is recorded on the spar.

What you suggest is that I have to pull the wing to find out. I'd rather not do that if I didn't have to.

Vans also said that the differences between the -0 and the -1 wing include the fact that the RV-8 -1 wing tank and RV-7 tanks are interchangeable. And that the screw hole spacing on the top and bottom long edges of the tanks are different between -0 and -1.

Does anyone who knows whether or not they have a -1 tank on their RV-8 measure the screw hole spacing? I could compare with what I have on my spar flange.

Another option is to buy a -0 (or -1) wing tank skin and see if the holes line up with the spar flange.

This is from an old post from CHASKUSS
Yes there are. The main difference is the top spar cap to the main spar assembly. The -1 top cap is 1/4" thicker at the inboard end. Going from memory [an iffy thing for me] I seem to remember that the original wing's top spar cap is 1.25" X 1.25" at the inboard end. The -1 top spar cap is 1.5" X 1.5" at the inboard end.
The top cap on the original wing ends even with the outboard end of the fuel tank. The -1 top cap extends out 1 bay further, into the inboard bay of the leading edge. Because of this, the inboard leading edge rib for the -1 will have a small notch on the back flange area. The ribs for the original wing leading edge are all the same. See photo below. I've circled the inboard end of my top spar cap.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=855157#post855157

Here's a pic I made from non -1 and -1 wing drawings. Compare this to the quoted description of differences in spar cap strip above.

49497893361_27f4930769_c.jpg

I'm no expert. But, wouldn't that require a MAJOR rework of the fuselage center section? How would -1 wings be mated to a non -1 center section spar box?

I'm no expert. But, wouldn't that require a MAJOR rework of the fuselage center section? How would -1 wings be mated to a non -1 center section spar box?

What is quoted in post #10 is ALMOST correct. The spar cap cross section is 1/4" deeper on the -1 spar, but the fore-aft dimension is the same, obviously, so that the spar will fit into the F-804 bulkhead/center section carrythough. All RV-8 spars are 1.437" fore and aft. The caps are 1.25 deep on the original wing, and 1.5 deep on the -1. You probably do not need to pull a wing to measure this - just remove the wing root fairing and you can see enough spar to measure.

What is quoted in post #10 is ALMOST correct. The spar cap cross section is 1/4" deeper on the -1 spar, but the fore-aft dimension is the same, obviously, so that the spar will fit into the F-804 bulkhead/center section carrythough. All RV-8 spars are 1.437" fore and aft. The caps are 1.25 deep on the original wing, and 1.5 deep on the -1. You probably do not need to pull a wing to measure this - just remove the wing root fairing and you can see enough spar to measure.

Thank you Steve. Very helpful. I'll make some measurements tomorrow and show what I've found.

Here's a pic I made from non -1 and -1 wing drawings. Compare this to the quoted description of differences in spar cap strip above.

49497893361_27f4930769_c.jpg

Ok so the tank is off the plane making it easy to investigate so I took some measurements and pictures yesterday evening and I've concluded that I have a -0 wing.

See if you agree with me.

Referencing Ken's picture above, I took these shots:

This is the outboard end of the tank space. The spar cap stops before the next leading edge rib. So based upon Ken's picture above this strongly suggests a -0 wing.

IMG_1609.JPG

Here is a picture of the spar at the wing root, where I took measurements:

IMG_1622.JPG

At the bottom of the spar, the height of the cap is 1.25":

IMG_1619.JPG

At the top of the spar, the cap is 1.25" x 1.25" as these two pictures show:

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

The 1.25" square dimensions comports with CHASKUSS' memory.

So it looks to me like I have a -0 wing.

Anyone see a mistake I may have made?

Ok so the tank is off the plane making it easy to investigate so I took some measurements and pictures yesterday evening and I've concluded that I have a -0 wing.

This is the outboard end of the tank space. The spar cap stops before the next leading edge rib. So based upon Ken's picture above this strongly suggests a -0 wing.

Yes, it is a -0 wing

IMG_1609.JPG

snipped

The 1.25" square dimensions comports with CHASKUSS' memory.

So it looks to me like I have a -0 wing.

Anyone see a mistake I may have made?

Greg,
You are correct. That first photo definitely shows the original style top spar cap. If it were a "-1" wing, the upper spar cap would extend beyond the inner rib of the leading edge. Thank you Steve for setting the record straight regarding the dimensions of the inner end of the spar cap.

Charlie
PS Perhaps you could have verified the length of the upper spar cap by removing the wing tip and looking inside. It might require the use of a video bore scope?

Last edited:
Back