Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-23-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtalbot View Post
I am making an assumption here that the Slick bearings generally run to TBO without failure.
Not a good assumption. Slicks requires a 500 hour inspection; That is their TBO, though the requirement is IRAN and not overhaul. Even the manufacturer doesn't trust them past 500 hours. I don't think that bearings are a common failure at 500 hours, but that is their recommendation. Slick mags are very far from the most robust component on a lycoming engine. It is not the standard that I would follow when designing a part.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 01-23-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Does slick use and interference fit on the shaft AND the bearing housing bore? My point was not the amount of interference, but that the bearing ID should be interference and the OD slip.

My intent was not to question your effort here, only to point out what I learned from engineers that do bearing application engineering for a living.
Larry
Hey Larry, No offense taken or implied. There are lots of people on here with a low more knowledge and practical experience then I have. That's why I asked.

In the Slick both inner and outer races are an interference fit, which seems to odd, given the need for internal clearances. That is why I asked what you and Dan had done

I agree mags are not the most reliable items on an aircraft, my point was that they have quite a few hours in the field.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Hey Larry, No offense taken or implied. There are lots of people on here with a low more knowledge and practical experience then I have. That's why I asked.

In the Slick both inner and outer races are an interference fit, which seems to odd, given the need for internal clearances. That is why I asked what you and Dan had done

I agree mags are not the most reliable items on an aircraft, my point was that they have quite a few hours in the field.
I suspect Slick had a reason for doing it. However, it goes against industry convention and I would exercise caution following their lead, unless you know why they did it.

FYI, mine has been in service for over 500 hours without a hiccup. The design is similar to the version dan posted. It will be interesting to see what Dan did on his bearings. I am sure his has as many or more hours on it.

Best of luck on the project. FYI, I built two of them and only used one. Happy to sell the extra if you get frustrated.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 01-23-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM

I found a source for the EDIS pins. Just ordered 15 for $8 shipped. Let me know if you are in need.

If you buy a used module, get one with the connector, they are easy to un pin and reuse the connector body.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.

Last edited by WingsOnWheels : 01-24-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
I found a source for the EDIS pins. Just ordered 15 for $8 shipped. Let me know if you are in need.

If you buy a used module, get one with the connector, they are easy to un pin and reuse the connector body.
Hey Colin, that would be handy. We need enough to do at least 6-8 units over here.

Last edited by rwtalbot : 01-24-2020 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 01-25-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Hey Colin, that would be handy. We need enough to do at least 6-8 units over here.
I sent you an Email
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
Old 02-11-2020, 01:31 PM

This project has taken longer than planned, had to go get cut-up by a surgeon and couldn't crawl under the panel for a while to finish the electrical. Weather permitting I am hoping for a first run this week.

If the collective mind her could give me a quick double-check on my assumptions I would appreciate it.

System is the EDIS + Magajolt, in place of the right side mag. Left side is the impulse mag.

1) Since I have a lightweight prop I have set the pickup to align with the 10th tooth after the missing tooth. This should retard the starting firing point by 10 degrees. As Dan reported if seems the EDIS will fire from +2 to +10 BTDC during start, so this should yield -8 to 0 degrees advance.

2) For first run I am programming the MJ map to 0 advance through 200rpm, then ramping to 25 at 400, then to a fixed 35 at 600. I have added 10 degrees to account for the pickup offset. I want the engine to be running at a fixed 25 degree advance so I can us the 25 degree marking to validate the timing with a timing light.

3) For the first start would it be best to start on just the impulse mag and then bring the EI on line? Do you think there is more/less risk starting vs running if the timing is way off?

Thanks,
Colin
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
Old 02-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
This project has taken longer than planned, had to go get cut-up by a surgeon and couldn't crawl under the panel for a while to finish the electrical. Weather permitting I am hoping for a first run this week.

If the collective mind her could give me a quick double-check on my assumptions I would appreciate it.

System is the EDIS + Magajolt, in place of the right side mag. Left side is the impulse mag.

1) Since I have a lightweight prop I have set the pickup to align with the 10th tooth after the missing tooth. This should retard the starting firing point by 10 degrees. As Dan reported if seems the EDIS will fire from +2 to +10 BTDC during start, so this should yield -8 to 0 degrees advance.

2) For first run I am programming the MJ map to 0 advance through 200rpm, then ramping to 25 at 400, then to a fixed 35 at 600. I have added 10 degrees to account for the pickup offset. I want the engine to be running at a fixed 25 degree advance so I can us the 25 degree marking to validate the timing with a timing light with no plugs.

3) For the first start would it be best to start on just the impulse mag and then bring the EI on line? Do you think there is more/less risk starting vs running if the timing is way off?

Thanks,
Colin
i put two EIs on an IO-540 rebuild recently. Didn't want to trust first start to luck/initial estimating, so pulled plugs and Mixture to ICO. Then cranked and observed timing. Skytech happilly spins the engine above my 250 cranking threshold.

Larry
Old 02-11-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The manual states 5 to 10 degrees, which pretty much matches observation on a lathe.

Quote:
2) For first run I am programming the MJ map to 0 advance through 200rpm, then ramping to 25 at 400, then to a fixed 35 at 600. I have added 10 degrees to account for the pickup offset.
See Global Controller Configuration Dialog. Nothing set in Megajolt software will have any effect below 200 RPM, when the Ford EDIS module apparently has full control. However, you can set the advance which will be active between 200 and 500 RPM. This is separate from the Big Map.

Point is, there is little value in specifying a mapped advance bin less than 1000. The software will extrapolate for all RPM between whatever is set in cranking advance and the advance value in the first mapped RPM bin.

Example: Clock 10 degrees as planned. Set "cranking advance" to 10. Header the first column on the big map as 1000. Set 35 in all spaces in every column.

Result will be cranking below 200 at 0 to -5, 0 (TDC) from 200 to 500, 600 = 5 BTDC, 700 = 10, 800 = 15, 900 = 20, and 1000 = 25. Everything above 1000 will be fixed 25 BTDC.

I use bins for 1000, 1500, 2000, then 100 RPM increments to 2700.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
i put two EIs on an IO-540 rebuild recently. Didn't want to trust first start to luck/initial estimating, so pulled plugs and Mixture to ICO. Then cranked and observed timing. Skytech happilly spins the engine above my 250 cranking threshold.

Larry
Not a bad idea, that would tell me if I am in the ballpark.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P