What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX 335

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi all-

Time to resolve the ADS-B issue. Had been thinking about the GL82 but now I am leaning more toward the GTX335. Had some questions and would appreciate any input.

My current setup is a Dynon D-100 and Garmin 327. I was hoping to be able to use the same space for the 335 (remove the 327 and slip in the 335). I know it is a little deeper but would I have to modify the opening for the 335 tray?

I was hoping I could just swap the RS232 out from the Dynon D-100 that I use for the 327 over to the 335. Would that satisfy the altitude encoder function?

Thinking about placing the GPS antenna from the 335 on the glareshield-thoughts?

Would appreciate any general comments on the GTX 335.

Thanks.

Peter K
9A 800 hrs

I did this exact swap and I also have a D100. The front opening is exactly the same as the 327, and the serial altitude output from the D100 drives the 335 just fine. I don?t recall the exact depth of the 335 but it?s longer than the 327 and slightly shorter than my SL30.

Peter
I have a D100 and had a 327. I installed a GTX345 which I believe is same form factor as the 335. Only difference as you pointed out is it?s a little deeper.
The shop I got my 345 from made an adapter cable between the original 327 cable and the back of the 345. (basically the power, ground and encoder data from the D100) It made that part of the install easier.
You will need to replace the 327 tray with the 335 tray, but not a big problem.

Good luck
Sam

Meant to say also in the last post that I?m satisfied in all respects with my 335 and I?d buy one again.

As for the antenna, mine is under my canopy just aft of the rear passenger. Install per instructions regarding distance from your other antennae and you won?t have any trouble.

I installed my GTX 335 last summer right before AirVenture. Love it.

I replaced my GTX 330 (non-WAAS) with the 335 with internal GPS. My antenna is mounted on the firewall between two non-WAAS 430 gps antennas (original builder chose this location). Probably not ideal but the two 430 gps antennas have been there eight years without a problem and my 335 WAAS gps antennae has been between them for a year now without issue. But it is a very warm location - especially in the summer.

If I was to do it again, I would seriously consider placing it out on the wing tip under the fiberglass fairing using an aluminum shelf mounted to the outside rib. Run flexible conduit first and then the antenna cable in the conduit. Shoot string using a small cotton ball and air compressor nozzle to pull the cable through the conduit. You will need to drill a hole in the skin of the empennage wall for the conduit access to the cabin but you?ll find the conduit useful for other wiring down the road if you ever place a magnetometer out there (great location for that piece of equipment).

The fiberglass fairing will not interfere with gps reception and will prevent any additional parasite drag. If memory serves me well, I believe Garmin wants at least 15 feet of antenna cable run for the 335. This installation approach will keep you from having to loop the antenna cable.

Purchase your 335 from Steinair and have them make you a conversion cable. It will significantly simplify your installation. It?s well worth the little extra cost. Steinair will also answer any questions you have about the installation process and setup.

Back