VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Default PTT on Throttle quadrant

Right now, I have my PTT on the control stick in the "trigger" position, but a friend commented that I might end up keying the mic while maneuvering. He recommended moving the PTT to the throttle.

I'm installing a throttle quadrant similar to the one shown above in my RV-7.

Has anyone else done this (PTT on the throttle)? How do you run the wires from the PTT down the throttle quadrant arm? I'm assuming that a thumb operated PTT would be the best choice.

Thanks in advance...
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, building wings)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA
Old 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Default PPT on Throttle

You bet Scott. Did it on my RV-8.
Haven't figured out how to put image into this post yet...........
[IMG][/IMG]
You will notice the top half is a flap switch. The bottom is a mike switch and I never used it. I wouldn't do it again.
OH........I know its PTT, not PPT
300 Hrs Sold
RV3(B) Sold
RV4 Refreshing engine

Last edited by Frank : 12-16-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added pic and corrected title
Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Haven't figured out how to put image into this post yet...........

Frank - attaching pictures is easy. Just type your reply, use a little duct tape to attach your picture to your computer screen, then hit the "submit reply" button! Piece of cake!
RV-14 N144P (Empennage complete, building wings)
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Scott,

I put the PTT on the top of my grips and never had a problem hitting in by accident. Later I put in an auto pilot disconnect button in the trigger position and don't hit that either.

The problem with putting the PTT on the TQ is that you don't keep your hand there other than when landing and take offs or formation flying. Every time you have to make a radio call you will have to move your hand to the TQ and press the button. It is much more natural to have the PTT on the stick and easier to push, IMHO.

If you want to add a button to the TQ, put the flap button and/or starter button on there.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Throttle quad button

I carved my own throttle grip from black Walnut and put my starter switch in it. PTT would be even easier..

http://i48.tinypic.com/308bgw7.jpg
Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8R999 View Post
I carved my own throttle grip from black Walnut and put my starter switch in it. PTT would be even easier..
I'm in the process of doing the same as part of a rebuild. My RV-4 originally had the PTT on the stick (where the A/A wep select should be ) and the starter on the full forward (momentary) position of left mag toggle (RHS of the cockpit). I'm tired of doing the monkey shuffle on starting and I never liked PTT on the stick, so I'm putting PTT and a start pushbutton on a new throttle grip. My starter is locked out when the RT mag is on, so that should prevent most accidental engagements.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 AM

For what its worth, I have had experience with the military set up - PTT on throttle and others, so I gave it some thought during build planning. In my tail dragger -6, I have a left hand throttle (mixture and prop on center lower panel).

On the stick grip I have the usual trigger PTT and also the starter button. The starter is "locked out" with a manual switch on the panel to eliminate inadvertant starter engagement. So typical operations look like this -

To start - left hand on stick to control it and engage starter button. Right hand on mixture. As engine starts and mixture is set to full rich, right hand goes to stick and left goes to throttle to adjust idle.

Two hands to engage starter is way too much. Starter on throttle would be nice but with right hand on mixture, no hands are left for the stick. None of it is that critical (you got knees) - keep it simple.

Inadvertent PTT trigger pulls are not an issue. The advantage for PTT on throttle is that you can transmit and write at the same time (assuming right handed).

I do have my flap switch mounted just above the left hand throttle. Flap switch adjacent to throttle is the way to go, as flaps can be moved while the other "stick hand" flies.

I guess it all depends if you are left hand or right hand sticking - man this is getting complicated!!

Again, none of this is that critical. Make a call and build on. You'll adapt to whatever you did when finaly flying.

By the way, a single left hand throttle for the 6 (and probably 7) can be built very quickly using the -8 backseat throttle kit from Van's. Just a few mods and you got it. I integrated mine into the forward part of the armrest and it fits in nicely.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM

I took a picture of Dayton's set up. I will have #1 COM on the trigger and #2 COM om the Throttle.

VAF 2018 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Every time you have to make a radio call you will have to move your hand to the TQ and press the button. It is much more natural to have the PTT on the stick and easier to push, IMHO.
I concur! The RV-4 I fly has it on the throttle...don't like it; wish it was on the stick.

-Jim
Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Flew a Huskey

a lot with a PTT on the throttle and did not like it.
Not sure why - it just felt strange.
My cub had the PTT on the stick. Felt right there and I never hit the transmit button accidently.

Steve