What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Johnson creek area airport recommendations

Norcalrv7

Well Known Member
Planning a camping trip to Johnson Creek later this week with some friends. Two 7a's and a 4. Curious if anyone had some recommendations about other nose dragger RV friendly airports to check out in the area.

Caleb

Smiley Creek

Local lodge with fresh caught pan fried trout, 4000+ft grass strip in valley,well maintained. Haven't been there for quite a while but understand still a good place.
Figs

Last edited:
Big Creek, U60, chow at the new lodge. Camp on the field, but it's just over the pass from Johnson with all its amenities.

Smiley is a mile long at 7,200 feet and recent reports on the restaurant are not encouraging. It's really pretty there, and you can say you walked across the River of No Return.

Stay away from Sulphur. Great to visit and chow but quite rocky in many areas.

You might get away with landing at a few other strips south of the Salmon, but high risk for an RV, especially a nose dragger; hit a pig hole and over you go.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

It is a bit further north in the Selway-Bitterroot, but Moose Creek is nose wheel friendly and has great fishing.

Cavanaugh Bay?66S

Cavanaugh Bay is a fantastic, A model alternative. Fewer crowds and a courtesy car to Coolin, a laid back resort town. Also, lots of camping room. It?s also a good day trip from JC.

Ben

In July I spent two days at Smiley Creek. I didn't bring my stove or Mountain House freeze dried this time and relied on the Smiley Creek lodge for fine dining. I had breakfast and dinner and both were satisfying enough for me.

Smiley should be completed with the reconstruction of the equipment shed by now and hot showers as well as clean bathroom facilities are available.

The views of the Sawtooth are incredible and well worth a visit to this field.

https://idahoaviation.com/

Cheers, Hans

Last edited:
Planning a camping trip to Johnson Creek later this week with some friends. Two 7a's and a 4. Curious if anyone had some recommendations about other nose dragger RV friendly airports to check out in the area.

Hi Caleb - I'm a big tire RV-4 guy. Given my experiences at the following, I'd say they are probably ok for training wheel variants. ;)

Be sure to give them a very thorough look from the air - those darn gopher holes can move around.

Big Creek
Cold Meadows (a little bouncy at north end but middle is good)
Chamberlain Basin (can be a little rough/bouncy, especially west end)
Elk City
Flying B
Thomas Creek (maybe too rough, not sure)
Upper Loon
Warren

My videos of most of those here if that is of any interest.

FYI: I'll be there this Fri-Sun (camping JC). Say hi if you spot me.

Back