What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick grip and panel clearance

bweez

Does any buddy have an opinion on the best stick grips to use with Aerosport aftermarket panels?
On some installations I have noticed that the stick hits the panel prior to the elevator hitting the stop. That's a scary situation.
In others, If that's the case... have you cut the control stick, so the grip will clear?
There are many options available...I'm just trying to find the grip that, through usage has from a functional standpoint features you like and providers adequate clearance for full elevator travel.
Have some of you overbought grips with functions you never use? If so, what are the options on the stick that are most useful?
Appreciate any guidance you can provide..
Thanks!!

I ended up bending the sticks to keep them from hitting Aerosport panel- filling them with sand and using a hydraulic press. Used Ray Allen grips.

Switches

For sure you want to clear the panel. Not like you'll ever be in a position of full forward stick but no interference is the hard rule.

As far as switches I like:
Elev & Ail trim
Push to talk
Autopilot disconnect / control wheel steering

Everything else seems to complicate it:
Boost pump - need a light to remind you its on since push button not obvious
Flaps - ok but don't hit it in flight or safety switch box
Start - need separate enable switch to switch control to avoid accidental engage
Comm flip flop - really? Who cares

Assuming your panel has the same height at the bottom that the stock Van's panel has, an Infinity Grip will clear the bottom of the panel if you cut the stick down as far as it will go and still have enough left over to mount the grip. Bending the stick is not required or desired. The resulting grip height is just about perfect for most people.

Elevator control rigging will effect how far the stick travels fore and aft. Don't assume the lengths provided by Van's for the push tubes are exactly correct. They will be close - so a good place to start.

If you use the Infinity Grip (or most any of the options), don't forget to "clock it" such that it is mounted a little clockwise for the pilot (left hand) and a little counter clockwise for the co-pilot (right hand).

Carl

The Aerosport Panel is slightly lower than the stock panel.

In order to keep the grip from hitting the panel I cut the top of the stick down the maximum amount to allow for a Ray Allen grip. This ends up being the perfect position for resting your hand on the top of your leg when flying.

I also cut the lower horizontal part of the stick off as far as possible to still retain a flat area for insertion.

In addition, an elevator stop was installed in the rear of the tail to prevent the stick from too much forward travel. You will have to do a bit of adjusting of all of the rod heim ends to get the full elevator travel but still have the panel clearance.

Edit: Do a search on this and you will find lots of posts. I found my previous post..... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=142222&highlight=control+stick

Last edited:
You do not want that stick contacting the panel. Could be grounds for failing the airworthiness inspection.

Cut the stick down as needed. Another consideration to clocking the grip (a good idea) is to set the height of the grip such that you are resting your arm on your leg while gripping the stick. Keeps you from having to hold your arm up in the rare times that the autopilot is not flying.

Stick grip and clearance

Appreciate all your replies. Never thought about clocking the grip. Makes perfect sense!! Bill, Thanks for the quick link. Figured this has been a topic of convertsation in the past. Keep pounding away!!

Sorry

Sorry, I am looking forward to flying my -10. Sure, for long xc, the autopilot will be on but I like to fly more than ride...

Same problem here. I cut down the control stick from both ends as much as possible. Originally I had the Tosten CS8 grips but too much forward angle to allow panel clearance. I ended up with their military style grip which has a bit less forward angle. After all that, I still had to make elevator linkage adjustments to get clearance.

Tosten

I also started with Tosten CS8 grips, which I loved, but now switched to their MA grips. That along with cutting the bottom of the stick about 1/2-3/4?, and making a forward elevator control stop, got me to the minimum of 20 degrees without hitting the Aerosport Panel.

Rick
RV10

Tosten Grip with a custom angled bushing

I have a Tosten Grip, cut both ends of the stick as much as I felt comfortable and I made a custom machined bushing with an 18 degree back angle to gain clearance. That gives me about 1 1/2 inch clearance from the switches at the bottom of the panel at full forward travel. The Tosten grips are very comfortable on the wrist angle and in the hand, but the mounting angle leans forward more than most.

I have made the same bushing for others along the way as well.

I was not comfortable bending the stick any further as I was concerned with interference with my lap on full back stick.

For sure you want to clear the panel. Not like you'll ever be in a position of full forward stick but no interference is the hard rule.

Elev & Ail trim
Push to talk

Start - need separate enable switch to switch control to avoid accidental engage

I like and use the same with the addition of an Ident button. Seems ATC always wants an Ident at the most busy times.

Larry

I have a Tosten Grip, cut both ends of the stick as much as I felt comfortable and I made a custom machined bushing with an 18 degree back angle to gain clearance. That gives me about 1 1/2 inch clearance from the switches at the bottom of the panel at full forward travel. The Tosten grips are very comfortable on the wrist angle and in the hand, but the mounting angle leans forward more than most.

I have made the same bushing for others along the way as well.

I was not comfortable bending the stick any further as I was concerned with interference with my lap on full back stick.

I have hear a number of people comment when full stick movement is ever needed. A bit of a drift sideways on the original intent of this thread, but still relevant I think. IMHO;
When landing I was taught to hold the nose wheel off as long as possible by increasing aft stick until full up is achieved letting the nose come down gently and using aerodynamic braking. So basically every flight.

Full forward stick is used when taxing in tail wind situations. "Dive away" I didn't want to inadvertently hit a switch with my hand while holding full forward stick. So again any flight where I need to taxi downwind to get to the end of the runway.

stick height

i have the tosten stick grips and done some work on the stick because of touching the panel. we did some cutting and bent the stick to keep off of my aerosport panel. my challenge is stick seems to short and in between my legs giving me a fit with last bit of control authority i need for landing. im thinking of getting a new stick and not altering in any way hoping i have a little more height. anyone who is flying decide not to cut or bend your control stick, and if so, is it working for you?

my challenge is stick seems to short and in between my legs giving me a fit with last bit of control authority i need for landing.

Are you saying you are unable to get to the nose up control stop? If so you have an issue to be addressed. OTOH some -10?s, when flown solo, may be forward of the forward cg limit unless some weight is carried in the baggage area (mine is). I cannot get a suitable nose high landing attitude without that weight.

I bent the stick in a press (very carefully) to clear my panel.

Used the Tosten grip because it just enough, and not too many buttons. It also can rotate and be 'clocked' as needed - or locked down. Mine is locked down with a good bit of twist to fit my left hand. I like it a lot.

Elev & Ail trim
Push to talk

The Tosten has just enough buttons for the 'like' functions +1. I used the remaining button for Comm flip flop and NEVER use it. So I guess I agree!

Cut and weld

I was an early builder with Lancairs panel which had interference issues with the Inifinty grip.
I wanted to make sure my sticks did not hit the panel,wanted them taller and not lose any strength. So I called Van?s to get the wall thickness and type of steel. I then cut the stick and slid a piece of the same steel over the stick where I cut it which allowed it to move aft enough to clear the panel. It was then tig welded by our airport welder who did an amazing job. It has worked great.

Good luck. I have pictures of you want one.

I was an early builder with Lancairs panel which had interference issues with the Inifinty grip.
I wanted to make sure my sticks did not hit the panel,wanted them taller and not lose any strength. So I called Van?s to get the wall thickness and type of steel. I then cut the stick and slid a piece of the same steel over the stick where I cut it which allowed it to move aft enough to clear the panel. It was then tig welded by our airport welder who did an amazing job. It has worked great.

Good luck. I have pictures of you want one.

i would love to have pictures if you don't mind.

Are you saying you are unable to get to the nose up control stop? If so you have an issue to be addressed. OTOH some -10?s, when flown solo, may be forward of the forward cg limit unless some weight is carried in the baggage area (mine is). I cannot get a suitable nose high landing attitude without that weight.

the stick is maybe a little low between my legs and somewhat takes away a little authority. i realize we had to make some adjustments to clear panel, but i would like the actual stick grip to be a little higher. maybe i just haven't flown enough to get used to the stick.

i would love to have pictures if you don't mind.

IMG_2093-L.jpg

Back