What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vividia VA-400 Borescope Review

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I scoured the web, looking for borescopes a couple of weeks ago, and stumbled across two threads on VAF with great pictures from the ViVidia VA-400 (specs), sold by Oasis Scientific.

Dimensions - shaft length: 17 inch
shaft dia: 8.5 mm (11/32 inch)
USB cable length: 5 ft

It is a USB borescope that your computer sees as a web cam. If you are running OS X, you just plug it in, and use the built in Photo Booth app to get real time views and to grab a picture. If you are running Windows, you run an app that comes on a CD with the borescope. The Oasis Scientific web site suggests a few other apps for OS X and Windows. The borescope also comes with an adapter to connect to an Android phone or tablet, and they recommend several apps from the Google Play Store.

The angle of the camera can be controlled through 180? by pushing on the plunger on the handle, and it locks in position as soon as you release the pressure on the plunger. You press a spring loaded release to allow the camera to move back towards the fully extended position.

The built-in light was bright enough for the task of looking inside cylinders, which is the only real test I've done yet. The camera is is in focus when the target is between 1 - 4 inches from the end of scope (the fixed focus is advertised as 4 cm to 40 cm, but that doesn't match what I see with my example). It is not high resolution, at 640x480 px, but it is quite adequate.

DSC02554.jpg

DSC02552.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

The handle:
DSC02555.jpg

Press the plunger to change the angle of the head. Press the round disk at the base of the plunger to unlock the head, and let it move back towards straight.

DSC02556.jpg

Shots from inside my cylinders:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

number4-1.jpg

number4-2.jpg

Thanks

Thanks Kevin.

I have one on order. Thanks for the direct link and the sample photos.

Have a great day!

I bought one too

After I saw it mentioned before on VAF, I bought one. It seems to work very well for my purposes. It seems to be every bit as good (for the non-professional user at least) as ones costing much more. YMMV, of course.

With a newer windows laptop (Win8.1 and screenside camera equipped), I just plugged my 400 in and switched cameras and it ran fine, no app required.

Kevin: A word of caution on the vividia scope. I bought one several months back and as you say, pretty good results. The one major problem I have encountered with it is as soon as the word got out I had one, everyone wants to borrow it. Somewhere on the Stead airport is a vividia borescope and HP laptop. I hope it comes home one of these days. Dan from Reno

I have been holding off for way too long. I wanted one with the articulating head that would tie to my iPad. Well, I finally took the plunge and bought the 400 that comes packaged with a 7" tablet to view it. I have another one here that ties to my iPad, but no articulating head, which makes it pretty interesting trying to see the valves.

rigid shaft?

I haven't looked at borescopes at all, so forgive the ignorance of my question,

I always thought the shaft itself would be flexible so you could curve it into corners, etc. From the photos, it looks like the shaft is a rigid stainless steel tube and only the camera on the end can be aimed. Are there other brands/models of borescope that have a flexible shaft?

I had the same concern and asked the same question awhile back. Their are many others with a flexible shaft, but this thing works well, is reasonably priced, and doesn't require any 45 degree mirror attachment to look at right angles to the probe - a big plus.

I plugged it into my dinosaur Windows XP laptop USB port, let it find the new hardware, then clicked on the USB port from "My computer" and immediately had a live image and picture taking capability without any software installation. Rotate the prop until the piston is near BDC to get the best viewing of the valves and cylinder walls. Maybe it was just my inexperience, but I found it easier to find the valves from the lower spark plug holes.

erich

This looks pretty interesting to me, but I'm no mechanic. Could one of you guys educate me a bit? I always thought one looked thru a borescope with the naked eye, but I guess here, you're plugging it in to your ipad or laptop, and then looking at the inside of your cylinder there?? Have I got it right? Not being a mechanic, I might not know exactly what I'm looking for inside a cylinder, but hey, no harm in just peeking every now and then. I might learn something.

One thing to look for

When you borescope your cylinders, you should take a very close look at the valve guides as you turn the prop and make the valves open and close.
I linked a few pictures here not too long ago from a friend's Cirrus that had slightly loose guides on valves in 3 cylinders. It can be hard to see them move. My friend sprayed some light oil in the cylinders to make them shiny inside, and also some oil soaked into the pockets of the loose valve seats. When the valve closed, you could see light glint and a slight bit of oil squeeze-out when the valve seat moved.

My hunch is that this is more common than we know, because we don't look. A cylinder with a slightly loose valve seat might run a long time trouble-free. But in some cases, they get loose enough to fall out when the valve is open, then can bend the valve when it closes on the displaced seat.

This looks pretty interesting to me, but I'm no mechanic. Could one of you guys educate me a bit? I always thought one looked thru a borescope with the naked eye, but I guess here, you're plugging it in to your ipad or laptop, and then looking at the inside of your cylinder there?? Have I got it right? Not being a mechanic, I might not know exactly what I'm looking for inside a cylinder, but hey, no harm in just peeking every now and then. I might learn something.

Yes, view using a laptop or Anroid tablet, but NOT an iPad. Search the archived EAA webinars for the Mike Busch presentation on exhaust valves. He reviews the basics of what to look for and beware of, but the gist is that the exhaust valve is the smaller of the two valves and typically has a harsher appearance than the intake valve. The exhaust valve is much more likely to have a problem than the intake valves. You want a symmetrical color pattern on it. It's common and normal to have a reddish spot in the middle. What you don't want is uneven color around the edges of the valve where it rests on the valve seat. A greenish spot along the edge is evidence of a burnt spot where exhaust gas breakthrough has happened or is immenent, and where valve failure is certain to follow in the near future.

Erich

same eBay purchase

It appears these scopes are made in China (which is to be expected) by Able Device Co Ltd of Shenzhen.

http://www.ablescope.com/

http://ablescope.com/detail.aspx?cid=29

It also seems they sell direct on Ebay, by regular bidding and by Best Offer. I got one today for $99, with free shipping.

Thank you Cousin Horton ;)

I also just bought one on eBay for $99 US, so you might be able to get them for a bit less than that!!!.
hopefully brighter and easier to get working on my Nexus tablet than my $40 flexible scope.....which will be for sale soon! :)

http://www.oasisscientific.com/stor...ting_8.5mm_Diameter_Probe_and_LED_Lights.html

Last edited:
I bought a package that included a Samsung tablet for about $250 and it works great.

By the way, I was able to inspected for the new service bulletin on an RV-9A with this borescope without removing any inspection panels or the aileron or pushrods. Makes a 15 minute job out of the SB.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????

ok Jesse,
fessey up!:rolleyes:

...exactly where did you stick your scope to see the front side of the spar?

( I'm not near the plane, so perhaps it's obvious when you're standing there!?!?)

Through the aileron pushrod hole. There was enough room to fit it through the hole, then, with the articulating head, you can see the spar. Easy peasy.

I used the same Vividia VA-400 Borescope and went thru the same hole as Jesse
it worked great. Was also able to inspect the aft side of the spar.

Geoff

I'll add another thumbs up for this borescope. I have an older Autel borescope from ATS that has poor resolution and require a little 45 degree end mirror for engine work. When I went to look at the exhaust valves on my Deb for the annual last month, the angled mirror had gone missing. I was forced to borrow one of my airport buddy's borescope, which happened to be this model. It was great! The resolution of photos and video is phenomenal, and the articulating control is very easy to use.

You guys convinced me

Just ordered one from ebay.
I had been looking at another model but after these good reviews I figured this was the way to go. thanks

Works on Ipad and Iphones now - by using Airbox

Hello fellow VAF'ers;
Based on reviews here - I purchased a VA-400 and I love it (but it only works with Android and PCs). Since I have and Ipad and Iphone - I had to use my old Windows laptop with the scope.
I just got an email from Oasis - they now have an Airbox that allows the scope to connect to Apple devices - via wifi. Only downside I see, is price. It's $100 (as much as the scope!).
Link to Oasis Utube video for the Airbox is follows. Below the video is a link for info and to purchase.

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=MR2RT&m=3caa8cw0OlOdt0k&b=hVcgW2XA3mYsmjfOT_8PIw

In reality, the Ablescope (aka Vividia VA-400) is just a camera on a stick. The flex end is great because it eliminates mirrors, but some users report the plastic flex fixture under the end boot to be very fragile.

There are now a boatload of tiny cameras with diameter small enough to be passed through a spark plug hole. Most are USB, but there must be some out there for Apple too. I'm starting to think if/when my Ablescope flex head dies, I may just tape one of these to a length of welding wire, and bend to suit the needed view.

http://www.tomtop.com/endoscopes-206/

http://www.tomtop.com/endoscopes-206/p-h8272.html

I've used my Vividia a few times and it has started to fail already. The camera will stop sending a picture to my PC. If I unplug and plug it back in, it usually starts going again but not for long.

Fragile, yes.

yep, yep

Hey Dan,

I have one I have been using and it works pretty well - it was $11 with free slooooow delivery from China. I made a Rube Goldberg articulating mechanism, but went to camera on a (safety) wire for simplicity.

It takes serviceable pics of the valves and is nearly disposable!

In reality, the Ablescope (aka Vividia VA-400) is just a camera on a stick. The flex end is great because it eliminates mirrors, but some users report the plastic flex fixture under the end boot to be very fragile.

There are now a boatload of tiny cameras with diameter small enough to be passed through a spark plug hole. Most are USB, but there must be some out there for Apple too. I'm starting to think if/when my Ablescope flex head dies, I may just tape one of these to a length of welding wire, and bend to suit the needed view.

http://www.tomtop.com/endoscopes-206/

http://www.tomtop.com/endoscopes-206/p-h8272.html

I bought a Vividia VA-400. Much less money than the Harbor freight one I already have. Perfect focal length for what we need looking inside cylinders.
You do need a lap top to view, that may not be so bad though, because the lap top screen is very large, it may be a benefit.

Used it on last 2 annuals I performed and one experimental condition inspection.

articulation

The advantage of the va-400 is that it articulates to make it easier to see the valves.

Any recent news on buying a VA-400? Seems Oasis Scientific has locked down sales at $199 anywhere I've dug on the web.

John Siebold

No picture on Samsung phone

Just received an Ablescope 400 but am unable to get a picture. I took off the lens cover, leds light up but no pic. I've tried several apps including airbox, OTG view, camera fi and usb camera. What am I missing? I am using a Samsung phone...

Last edited:
black magic!

geez Ron, I have two, you coulda just called and I'd loan you one....indefinitely!

I had some fun trying to get to work, finally some generic driver let it open on my old Nexus tablet.....using OTG view.
I found it a real pain to articulate and get a look at valve stems...most other views are ok, maybe i'm just too maladroit to rotate and swiggle the head while balancing my tablet and standing on my head!?!?

all I can say, is just keep trying the free apps, keep track of which ones work, or are most stable, and go with that. some guys had more luck with a windows laptop, it recognized it as a 'camera' immediately, and just worked right out of the box. again, a bit of a cuhrapp shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks Perry, I'd just like one to give me a picture. I wonder if there is some basic "turn on" switch I am missing or if the unit is defective?

standby .....testing.....testing

just recharged the Nexus, and will plug the thing in tomorrow.
I'll let you know if I can figure out a 'how to', or just loan you the whole shebang!
I found it real handy to have my son on the trigger; once I saw the image I wanted, i said 'snap' or something.....and he clicked the shutter, as both my hands were busy manipulating the gear.
....I think it might be even smarter to just run the video as much as your memory size will allow!

I just received my 460 today. I?m using it on an iPad mini and didn?t get a picture at first. It worked fine after I remembered to go to Settings on the iPad and manually switch the WiFi to the Airbox.

Back