What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Found broken start ring cogs

Smoking gun

Well that's quite a bit different than the first post of the thread. Glad you found the issue (and I'll bet you're glad didn't go out and buy a bus manager and extra battery!). With the validation of the theory that low voltage was not the issue, it would sure be nice to place to rest the mystery of the magnet position. Since you and Bill reported that the engine was firing at 8 degrees after TDC, it seems to indicate that the mag position is off by 3. If you do take the five minutes required to check it out, please report back to us with your findings.

Sorry to see you abandoning the EI though, but considering the difficulties you had, I guess there's no changing your mind now.

I would say that if you want to shed some weight and get some money back in your pocket, replacing the current CPU and programmer with a CPI box would do both.

Happy to help out if I can.

Last edited:
Flew first time yesterday back with 2 mags, engine ran fine.

EI is good for most of you flying high and far, for my local river patrols clearing area of terrorist activity, the 2 mags are perfect. :)

EFII EI has been sold to builder in Oregon...hope it pleases him, it is a good system.

While the high and far LOP benefits are the heavy hitters, EI also serves the majority of us well with easier starts, better idle, better spark plugs, and increased detonation margin when down low and high power. Im sorry that you did not get to experience the "low altitude" benefits the rest of us see.

Back