What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blister on cowl for mixture arm

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
I emailed Vans re the mixture arm contacting the port side of the air scoop on the cowl. They replied to get a straight mixture arm. I made up a dummy straight arm and tried it an looks like it will contact the FAB more than the offset one. I have already cut the cowl for the blister. Question Do I put a blister on the other side to match? Any photos or links would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pete,

I'd just do the one side. It's down low on the cowl, so as Dan says, it'll be hard to notice.

Check out my RV build thread elsewhere (RV-9A SoCal). On pages 19 & 20 there are pics and descriptions of the blister and airbox mods.

Mixture arm blister

G'day Pete,

I had the same experience as the other posters with my mixture arm. I re-made the FAB attachment plate to move the whole affair over my about 50mm then canted the inlet to align with the snout.

I also had to make the Vans modification to th FAB.

I've got an unused straight mixture arm here to try but I found it didn't avoid the blister. It's certainly not obstrusive in my opinion.

Contact me at [email protected] if you want to have chat. I may have some left over bits that you need too.

cowl blister

I too had to make a bump out on the cowl. Shhhhh don't tell my wife but I went to the kitchen and got one of the big serving spoons. I then used it for a mold to make a nice little blister then glassed it to the hole I had cut for the mixture arm. Looks good and I'm sure it is worth the 10 knots all RV mods get.

Back