What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X power wire terminals

Don

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what the terminals are that Vertical Power uses? I have the VP-X Pro and I'm talking about the connectors that go in the the J-8, J-10, and J-12 connectors. Are they available anywhere other than Vertical Power?

In order to connect my GRT EFIS system, I need to connect a few wires into the VP-X system. I've got the VP-X wiring harness and there are plenty of extra leads of the right AWG with terminals and I could splice them to the ends of the GRT wiring but I'd like avoid the splice if I can. I figure ACS would be able to help me out but alas, I struck out today.

Larry's got it ... I sourced extra terminals from Mouser; here's the link to the catalog page; bottom left side of the page; they run about 25c/ea.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1708.pdf

But note that these terminals require their own crimper, which isn't cheap ($300+)...

There is a less expensive crimper available. The $300 is a production quality crimper. I believe the other one is about half the price. I would drop Marc an email to get the details. I needed a part the other day and he forwarded me a link on Mouser.

bob

Thanks guys. I appreciate knowing my options but if I can't crimp the terminals without spending $150 I'll splice. I will look and see what crimping options I have with the crimping tools I own before moving forward.

I used these crimpers with the orange handles toward the middle. Not the red handles on the right. They were about $30 but I can't for the life of me remember where I got them....

IMG_4857.JPG

They are ratcheting style with the correct dies for these power terminals. I am sure the $300 production model does a better job but this one does a good enough job.

Last edited:
If you do get the terminals elsewhere, make sure to get the gold-plated ones and not the tin plated. All the pins on the VP-X are gold plated. The gold plated ones are harder to find, and we have to buy them in bulk.

We do rent the crimper for $10/month or you can buy another model for $75. These crimpers are made specifically for this series of connectors.:)

If you do get the terminals elsewhere, make sure to get the gold-plated ones and not the tin plated. All the pins on the VP-X are gold plated. The gold plated ones are harder to find, and we have to buy them in bulk.

We do rent the crimper for $10/month or you can buy another model for $75. These crimpers are made specifically for this series of connectors.:)

Marc, Thanks for the reply. Odds are I'll get the pins from you and rent the crimper, too. I'd have called except with the sale of VP you're closed all month. In related matters, I've been pleased over-all with the ease of wiring the plane using the VP-X Pro. I've got a question or three that I still need to either figure out but the speed and ease of the process has really surprised me.

Marc,
I prefer to own my tools. What's the $75 model crimper you mentioned.
Thanks,
Tom H.

If anyone is still looking for the gold plated Molex XL150L terminal pins, I was able to find some available individually and in-stock. This link is the Molex.com page for XL150L terminal pins, several of which are gold plated. I just clicked on the part number and then "check distributor inventory" and found several familiar companies selling them with no minimum order.

I have found gold plated female 18-22 AWG in reasonable quantities But does anyone have a pointer/link for the gold plated female 14-16 AWG terminal pins?

Thank You

We keep these pins in stock. I think we have several thousand at the moment of the gold plated AWG14-16 ones... you can order 1 or as many as you want. I don't know if we have them on our website, but you can always email or call and we'll get you taken care of.

Folks are correct, the gold plated ones are not the easiest ones to find, the tin plated are most common in small qty's...hence the reason we bought these by the entire spool! BTW, we're significantly cheaper than those Heiliand ones (and even cheaper than buying them from VP directly). I'm always perplexed at the amount of digging and time people will spend to find things like this, when an easy call to a dealer usually can solve it in minutes! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
We keep these pins in stock. I think we have several thousand at the moment of the gold plated AWG14-16 ones... you can order 1 or as many as you want. I don't know if we have them on our website, but you can always email or call and we'll get you taken care of.

Folks are correct, the gold plated ones are not the easiest ones to find, the tin plated are most common in small qty's...hence the reason we bought these by the entire spool! BTW, we're significantly cheaper than those Heiliand ones (and even cheaper than buying them from VP directly). I'm always perplexed at the amount of digging and time people will spend to find things like this, when an easy call to a dealer usually can solve it in minutes! :)

Cheers,
Stein
Putting them on your web would be nice in my case. I get tired of trying voice phone, delays, holds, etc.
SteinAir.com was one of the first places I looked and didn't see them on the web site; so kept looking.
I definitely would have ordered from you if I had seen them with price.

Last edited:
Putting them on your web would be nice in my case. I get tired of trying voice phone, delays, holds, etc.
SteinAir.com was one of the first places I looked and didn't see them on the web site; so kept looking.
I definitely would have ordered from you if I had seen them with price.

Fair point, and we'll endeavor to get them put on their post haste!

For reference we stock the pins (our p/n "VPX-PIN" at $1.14 each), and also full sets of connectors.

Cheers,
Stein

Fair point, and we'll endeavor to get them put on their post haste!

For reference we stock the pins (our p/n "VPX-PIN" at $1.14 each), and also full sets of connectors.

Cheers,
Stein
Thank You, that is good to know. It's good to know a reputable dealer has researched the sources for you.

I see SteinAir has them on their website now @ $1.14, but Heilind has them for $0.33 cents each. Not sure what I am missing...

Back