What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Question

Myrv14

JVL
Sponsor
I have a general riveting question for the group.....

Unless the plans specifically call for a rivet to be inserted a specific way (i.e., shop head on one side vs the other), are there any "rules of thumb" (or right way vs wrong way) regarding which direction the rivet is inserted into a hole?

I've been told, to the max extend possible, insert rivets toward the interior of whatever structure you are working on (manufactured head on the exterior and shop head on the interior).

Additionally, if the two pieces being riveted together vary in thickness, to put the manufactured head on the thinnest piece and shop head on the thickest piece.

Finally, if the two pieces are of equal thickness, with no apparent "interior" structure direction, then it is the builders preference which side the manufactured head and shop head are arranged.

Am I correct in my thinking or should I make some changes?

Thanks for the help.

It doesn't matter structurally where the shop head goes.

The factory head on the thinner piece is the way to go.

I try to keep in mind the structure I'm working on, and to try to have the shop head on the easier-access side, in case I need to remove that rivet. Sometimes, it's necessary; I'm not perfect at this.

A friend of mine pays a lot of attention, in the cockpit area, to ensuring that the the factory heads are visible, for the look of things.

There are some areas where a flush head is functionally necessary. Often this is obvious or called out in the plans.

Dave

Thanks

Thanks for your opinion David.....much appreciated!

I did use the SEARCH function Captain. I also used something else that came highly recommended to me by Mr. VanGrunsven himself.....ASK QUESTIONS. I also thank you for your opinion.

Back