What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side fuselage step on a -7

Mark33

Well Known Member
Hi gang,

For those of you that converted a 7-A to a -7, I have a few questions for you regarding the side fuselage/wing step. How do you like having the convenience of having that step there? How much did you have to shorten it so that it wouldn't hang down too low and become a hazard? Would you have removed it completely if you could have? Does it actually get in the way at all? Do you think it causes any real drag? Now that you've had experience with it and if you were building a straight -7 from the start, would you install/incorporate one in a new build?

I've seen a couple of pictures of -7's with shortened side steps and it really looks like it would be a handy feature to have. On my last -7 and on my -4, I can jump right up on the wing with no problem at all, but let's face it, we're all getting older and I can see where this step could really come in handy one day. I really noticed how my parents and anyone who had limited mobility, along with some people who just weren't use to getting in and out of an airplane, would struggle stepping up on the wing. On top of that, I'd really had to watch them like a halk to make sure no one stepped on the flap. Even though I'm building a straight -7, I'm seriously considering installing a set of these steps on my new build. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Mark

Step

This is what we use and seems to be quite popular. It works well for shorter people and is small, lite and compact. Found at most camper supply houses for 15 bucks or so and comes in a verity of colors. We use this a lot, it folds up quite small, for older people it is far more useful and probably safer than a step. Just keep it in the plane, use it when needed.
ou9.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased a SB 7A kit and after finishing the side skins decided to convert to a 7. I did not install the steps, now I wish I had. Since then I know of two RV-6s builders that added steps. One shortened the step length. I do not know if the other did or not.

For some pilots and passengers it makes getting up on the wing easier. Especially as knees wear out.

I am building a 8 and also bought the step. Mainly because I want to have it easier to get my dad in the plane.. But I am not yet sure if I gonna install it or not as the bigger challenge will be to get him in and out of the rear seat. Maybe not now but certainly in the future..

steps

two of my friends have added steps in the past year on a 7 and an 8. They are both very happy with them. on a related note, we all looked at a 6 on the ramp in Sebring one day, dings on the flap and fuse where he pulled his step up on the end of a rope - did not seem to be a good solution.

two of my friends have added steps in the past year on a 7 and an 8. They are both very happy with them. on a related note, we all looked at a 6 on the ramp in Sebring one day, dings on the flap and fuse where he pulled his step up on the end of a rope - did not seem to be a good solution.

Oh wow, do you mean a rope that was on the apron that?s used for tie-downs? Man, I can see how that could cause a lot of damage. I?ll probably cut mine pretty short to hopefully decrease the chances of anything getting hung up on them.

I don?t have a step on my 6a but wish I did and I?m relative,y young.
Everyone complains about not having it.

I will say that after getting up on the step at the same time as a buddy in a 6a I?d like to find a way to have the steps and not have it tip back if TiVo people step on them at the same time.

I don?t have a step on my 6a but wish I did and I?m relative,y young.
Everyone complains about not having it.

I will say that after getting up on the step at the same time as a buddy in a 6a I?d like to find a way to have the steps and not have it tip back if TiVo people step on them at the same time.

An "A" is much different than a taildragger.

I do not have a step on my -9 and it is higher off the ground than a -7. The only time I wish I had the step was when I take an older person for a ride. Then the problem is getting them in and out of the "bucket" that is our RV's.

Step

I started with a 6A project and converted to a 6 steps already in fuse cut 5" off steps with advice from Sam Bucanon glad I left them on wife uses them all the time and I find myself using them also.
Bob

I fabricated my own steps for my -6 that come straight out just being the flaps. No weld joints except where they attach to the base plate.
I don't do pics on the site but can email to interested parties.

I started with a 6A project and converted to a 6 steps already in fuse cut 5" off steps with advice from Sam Bucanon glad I left them on wife uses them all the time and I find myself using them also.
Bob

Hey Bob, can you post a few pictures of your setup?

Steps

My 9 taildragger is not flying yet and wife and I are on the shorter side of average. After getting to fly one without steps (Big Thank you MW) and seeing another with the stock length steps I shortened mine 4.5 inches. While I was at it added 2 oz of lead shot to each and built some doublers with nutplates so steps are attached with countersunk screws and removable if desired. Made coverplates as well that will get painted to match when plane gets painted. Have photos if anyone is interested.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Leave the steps as is...

My Father converted a -7A to the correct way (Sorry, had to... :D) and left the steps as is. The ground clearance is never an issue and it is handy to have. For reference, I have 29 year old bones and joints, with a 34" inseem. For comparison, my Uncle has a -6 without steps and it's not HARD to climb up but it's definitely not as easy. Unless you're going for low drag and trying to build the fastest RV ever, I certainly prefer the step.

97e4NeIfQwovE0dx_RavwuzrXvUjmyn1veg5FJ9LhF17f3tnkzEiIUbr0XwvEIWejJDKMbFead9BalmdP2O-W1CS4aYJIXcnpPxGdKceRRs4eNJwQD1vYnYIP4Bsb6TIrQB2CWsd2407uBQSfdvp19Agi3_CYgiFFaDX5txmLW68btiEyY5KY1AXVhOQEXXq8LtTzIm-o9uguR7WhGDjzbZnfzXgy5_4QK8Sm1Ir4kOU5l0Cxrfv1fGucejtJxfwrjPKASPSwTlPxbO2bBTfNjSCC1UsPLUa67aEf2FZKyi5zY6tiFR9MHTAQeIVZVtQsx5nxHyNegUVzyCcWiHP8iXOtJ616PRYE0ifQVJ--bp2yaa4MhN0AW3XfjP2x6YI0QxU0VkOq8YS-9v4lT3YcsHknMZH2HANcDSvF1w6MFTBr78NGeMwh816u4q1iQv_tqa8wOpXLpGCtx_AlqL1w3GN9U-dYDbZuiwgg4kJjhGWtDHW4z9CSTHXhafOAoadyfSzSFqa7lv__B_OB-0mX2lHsU4AhyhZ41Iq8c3sF_uBwmHJG1KLtggBXzbaerg0BgIVVS4OU94ebRf3QHAEj56JeSQQ0QWJKUpqhVM=w910-h682-no

Steps

I converted a 9a to a 9. I left the standard length steps.
Very happy I have them! Use them all the time and would not change it.

My Father converted a -7A to the correct way (Sorry, had to... :D) and left the steps as is. The ground clearance is never an issue and it is handy to have. For reference, I have 29 year old bones and joints, with a 34" inseem. For comparison, my Uncle has a -6 without steps and it's not HARD to climb up but it's definitely not as easy. Unless you're going for low drag and trying to build the fastest RV ever, I certainly prefer the step.

97e4NeIfQwovE0dx_RavwuzrXvUjmyn1veg5FJ9LhF17f3tnkzEiIUbr0XwvEIWejJDKMbFead9BalmdP2O-W1CS4aYJIXcnpPxGdKceRRs4eNJwQD1vYnYIP4Bsb6TIrQB2CWsd2407uBQSfdvp19Agi3_CYgiFFaDX5txmLW68btiEyY5KY1AXVhOQEXXq8LtTzIm-o9uguR7WhGDjzbZnfzXgy5_4QK8Sm1Ir4kOU5l0Cxrfv1fGucejtJxfwrjPKASPSwTlPxbO2bBTfNjSCC1UsPLUa67aEf2FZKyi5zY6tiFR9MHTAQeIVZVtQsx5nxHyNegUVzyCcWiHP8iXOtJ616PRYE0ifQVJ--bp2yaa4MhN0AW3XfjP2x6YI0QxU0VkOq8YS-9v4lT3YcsHknMZH2HANcDSvF1w6MFTBr78NGeMwh816u4q1iQv_tqa8wOpXLpGCtx_AlqL1w3GN9U-dYDbZuiwgg4kJjhGWtDHW4z9CSTHXhafOAoadyfSzSFqa7lv__B_OB-0mX2lHsU4AhyhZ41Iq8c3sF_uBwmHJG1KLtggBXzbaerg0BgIVVS4OU94ebRf3QHAEj56JeSQQ0QWJKUpqhVM=w910-h682-no

Wow...that?s a pretty airplane!!

Back