What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental vs Lycoming

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Anyone use or consider using a Continental Titan 205hp? I understand it is less weight in the airplane and 12k less in price.

Less weight in this case will most likely result in a CG problem, which is why Vans says to use an angle valve engine...

Anyone use or consider using a Continental Titan 205hp? I understand it is less weight in the airplane and 12k less in price.

You are talking about the engine formally known as an ECi. These are clones of the parallel valve Lycoming engines. While great engines, as mentioned above, they are too light for the -14. You will need an Angle valve engine for the -14, which is 20 to 40 pounds heavier (depending on who you ask) than the parallel valve engines.

You are talking about the engine formally known as an ECi. These are clones of the parallel valve Lycoming engines. While great engines, as mentioned above, they are too light for the -14. You will need an Angle valve engine for the -14, which is 20 to 40 pounds heavier (depending on who you ask) than the parallel valve engines.

CMG (Continental Motors Group) Titan would probably build an angle valve engine on request. CMG builds PMA angle valve cylinders for certified Lycomings.

CMG (Continental Motors Group) Titan would probably build an angle valve engine on request. CMG builds PMA angle valve cylinders for certified Lycomings.

I'm not an expert on angle valve engines, but aren't there differences in the cases and maybe cranks from the parallel valve engines? I'm not sure Continental/Titan is set up for that.

Engine

I would do it and put a large Battery on the firewall and a heavy prop to save 12K.
Bob

I would do it and put a large Battery on the firewall and a heavy prop to save 12K.
Bob

Vans has already designed the 14 around the Hartzell aluminum CS prop. Hard to get much heavier than that. I suppose you could find a heavier battery than the Odyssey PC680 but it might be difficult to fit and may be less reliable as well. Also don't forget resale value...IMHO a -14 with a non- standard engine and various mods made to add weight for CG reasons is likely to be worth a lot less than the standard configuration it was designed for. You'll almost certainly lose more when you sell than you saved up front. If that $12k is a deciding factor in building a -14 I'd recommend installing an overhauled angle valve IO-360 like the demo -14 has in it.

I've seen the Titan 205hp 370 installed in a 14. They are considerably less expensive, and by all accounts terrific engines. I spoke to the fellow who installed it, and he did say it was more complicated than he anticipated.

I like that people continue to find alternative engines for RVs. They are after all, 'experimental'!

I've seen the Titan 205hp 370 installed in a 14. They are considerably less expensive, and by all accounts terrific engines. I spoke to the fellow who installed it, and he did say it was more complicated than he anticipated.

I'd imagine that many parts of the -14 FWF kit would have to be modified or replaced. Would like to see some pics and it'll be interesting to see what kind of performance he gets. What prop is he using, and has he done the W&B yet?

I'd imagine that many parts of the -14 FWF kit would have to be modified or replaced. Would like to see some pics and it'll be interesting to see what kind of performance he gets. What prop is he using, and has he done the W&B yet?

Whirlwind composite prop. To address CofG he Increased weight in the starter, alternator, backup alternator along with a second battery.

I might be able to get him to chime in, he's a member of VAF. I don't want to speak out of turn. I'll shoot him a PM

I visited the CMI / Titan display at SnF earlier this year and if my memory is reliable, they had a Titan 370 angle valve (or said that they were just shy of having one ready to roll out) displayed. I know that I did talk to them about a 370 angle valve.

Their sales pitch was that it 'should' not be a difficult adaptation onto a RV14 - but wouldn't go much further beyond that having no direct experience doing one. I am interested enough to keep watching Titan though as I too am a year or more from ordering an engine.

Looking into adaptations to adjust for the CG will have to happen when I am able to start with some good RV14A W&B data.

Back