What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing Battery on an ACK E04 ELT

Noah

Well Known Member
If you bought an ACK E04 ELT when they were new back in 2011 then the time is coming to change the main battery in the ELT. Hopefully this will help you to change yours properly and save you some money as well. These batteries must be changed every 5 years. The battery expiration date is etched into the side of the battery pack.

I'm sure ACK would like you to buy their replacement battery pack but if you didn't disassemble this when you got it, you probably don't know that the cells are standard D Size 3 Volt Lithium Sulfur Dioxide (LiSO2) cells made by Saft, P/N LO26SX , and replacement requires simple disassembly and no soldering.

Aviation outlets charge $153 and up (some want to tack on HAZMAT shipping for another $35) for the replacement pack. You can buy the cells only for $71.80 and $9.95 shipping and in a few minutes be on your way. In fact I bought 3 sets with a couple of local RVators and we split the shipping cost 3 ways.

Step 1 - Order the correct battery cells (might be a good idea to verify your ELT has the same cells I did before ordering). The cheapest place I found was batteries2batteries.com: http://www.battery2batteries.com/saft-lo26sx-battery-3v-lithium-d-cell/

Step 2 - Remove the ELT from the aircraft. Before you do this it might be a good idea to perform a self test, to make sure it is working before doing anything to it. The current manual outlining the self test procedure can be found here: http://www.ackavionics.com/pdf/E-04_REV_1.7_SINGLE_PAGE_REDUCED.pdf

Once that is done, take note of how the unit is anchored and how the cables are secured and particularly how the GPS input connector is secured. You will need to remove the BNC antenna connector and the modular telephone style jack to the RCPI (Remote Control Panel Indicator).

Step 3 - Switch the ELT to "OFF"

Step 4 - Mark your ELT. ACK claims there are features to prevent improper clocking of the battery but I didn't see any on mine so I marked all 3 pieces to be sure. If you did clock things wrong you could install the battery backwards (and ruin your ELT) or clock it in such a way that there is no connection made to the battery - so it will not function. So I marked all 3 components prior to disassembly. I marked them with "TOP" so it would be sure to go back into the tray in the same orientation.
20160326_152731.jpg

This shows the cells being removed. Note that there are no polarity signs!
20160326_152239.jpg

Step 5 - Add polarity signs so you don't install the cells backwards! (note that it's best to do this before removing the cells)
20160326_152702.jpg

Step 6 - Carefully inspect the base of the pack housing and the cap with the battery contacts protruding through to ensure there is no corrosion that would prevent electrical connections between cells or between the battery pack and the transmitter. Then install the new cells:
20160326_153544.jpg

Step 7 - inspect the two O-rings and replace if they are cracked or overly stretched. Use some silicone O-ring grease on the O-rings and carefully install the cap on the battery pack. The springs pushing up on the cells will make this tricky as you have to push down on the cap to get the screws started. Use blue loctite and tighten the screws holding the cap of the battery pack to the base evenly, a couple of turns at a time on each screw. ACK's manual says 3.5-4.0 in-Lbs. Note the sticker for the SAR folks if you ever set one of these off inadvertently:
20160326_153942.jpg

Step 8 - Verify polarity and voltage for the reassembled battery pack. I also checked the old batteries to compare voltage and they were within .01V of each other. ACK's manual has a more in-depth test procedure with a load test using an automotive light bulb which is a good idea as long as you don't run it for very long.
20160326_154548.jpg

Step 9 - Inspect the transmitter PCB (Printed Circuit Board) for corrosion or damage, particularly where the battery electrodes interface with the transmitter PCB. Reinstall the transmitter onto the battery pack using the same screw torque and blue loctite on the screws - again tightening evenly.

Step 10 - Mark the new expiration date on the outside of the pack.
20160326_153234.jpg

Step 11 - Now might be a good time to verify the GPS signal is reaching the ELT in accordance with the procedure in the installation manual, if your installation provides GPS to the ELT. Then put the switch in the "ARM" postion, install the red cap, and reinstall the ELT in the aircraft. Perform a self-test of the unit prior to making a log entry with the new ELT battery expiration date and placing the unit back in service.
20160326_160416.jpg

ACK claims that cell replacement is forbidden by the battery TSO (TSO-C142a) and your ELT will not be airworthy if you do this. But feel free to but check the TSO yourself; I could find no such language: http://tinyurl.com/ze2vb7q

However, this is not to be taken lightly; this HAS to work when called upon, so if you are not 100% confident in your ability to do this job properly, then buy the replacement pack for the extra money and be done with it. I would recommend that at a minimum, this should be done under the supervision of an IA, A&P, or repairman authorized to work on your aircraft.

Note that there are 2 other batteries in the ELT subsystem; one in the RCPI (Remote Control Panel Indicator) and one in the audio alert indicator. The RCPI blinks and the audio alert beeps when performing an ELT self test. These batteries have a 10 year replacement (if lithium), or 5 years (if alkaline). My RCPI shipped from ACK with a lithium, and I installed a lithium in the audio alert indicator since that shipped with no battery from the factory. Thus in 5 more years everything will get replaced. It's a good idea to make a log entry indicating when those are due as well if you don't have it marked somewhere that you can't miss it.

Last edited:
Hi Noah, I'm a little confused. Even though in their FAQs ACK says that the batteries are good for only 5 years, in the manual it says to replace them on the date printed on the battery pack. My battery pack has a date of 2019 and I installed it in 2011. In their updated install manual (2014) they show a battery pack with an expiration date of 2022 which would lead me to conclude that the batteries are good for 8 years. I will call them later to check which is correct.

Stop by and visit sometime and bring your balloon!

Dan Decker, 15FL, Lake City FL

Last edited:
Shoot fire - just getting ready to order a replacement battery for my ACK E-04. You saved me some money!

Thanks,
Carl

I just talked to ACK and was told that the batteries expire in 5 years but when I told him that my battery pack was dated to expire in 2019 (8 years after purchase) he said to go by that date and not the 5 years.

I can see that Noahs battery expires in 2016 so he was right to change it.

Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for following up on the longer life batteries. Maybe ACK did some lifetime testing and determined that they could extend this out to 8 years or maybe they are using a different cell chemistry with longer life. I know Saft makes a bunch of similar models in this form factor with different cell chemistry than LiSO2. Thats why it's a good idea to verify the cell part number by opening your pack prior to ordering replacement cells.

Next time I get down your way I'll drop in. Hi to Jeanne!

Noah

You may not like this, but......

According to the E-04 instructions:

DO NOT REMOVE SEALANT FROM BATTERY PACK SCREWS, OR DISASSEMBLE BATTERY PACK .TSO-C142a PROHIBITS OPENING OR REPLACING CELLS. IF THE BATTERY PACK IS OPENED BY ANYONE EXCEPT THE MANUFACTURER IT IS NO LONGER AIRWORTHY, AND THE WARRANTY IS VOID.

So the answer is that while it's technically possible to replace the batteries inside the pack, it's not legal to do so per the TSO.

For those who have a Artex ME406, the cheapest I found the battery is at Touch&Go for $159 and free shipping.

According to the E-04 instructions:

DO NOT REMOVE SEALANT FROM BATTERY PACK SCREWS, OR DISASSEMBLE BATTERY PACK .TSO-C142a PROHIBITS OPENING OR REPLACING CELLS. IF THE BATTERY PACK IS OPENED BY ANYONE EXCEPT THE MANUFACTURER IT IS NO LONGER AIRWORTHY, AND THE WARRANTY IS VOID.

So the answer is that while it's technically possible to replace the batteries inside the pack, it's not legal to do so per the TSO.

I would be way more concerned with making sure the battery exchange WORKS than following the TSO precisely. If the ELT needs to be used, and it works, and I'm successfully rescued, I'll enjoy the procedure of laughing at the FAA while they chastise me about a non-TSO ELT that still functioned as intended.

If it's needed, and it DOESN'T work, well then all the armchair quarterbacks get to say "told ya so"...

DISCLAIMER - I have not replaced those cells in my ELT (yet) :D

Last edited:
My understanding of Canadian rules is that for an experimental airplane the equipment has to be equivalent to TSO in functionality. There is no requirement for it to be certified. I don't know how that is handled by the FAA. I certainly know what I would do, but I would not tell anyone else what they should do unless I thought it was a safety issue. To each his own.

According to the E-04 instructions...TSO-C142a PROHIBITS OPENING OR REPLACING CELLS. IF THE BATTERY PACK IS OPENED BY ANYONE EXCEPT THE MANUFACTURER IT IS NO LONGER AIRWORTHY, AND THE WARRANTY IS VOID.

So the answer is that while it's technically possible to replace the batteries, it's not legal to do so....

Not so fast.

Like I said in the bottom of the first post, the TSO doesn't seem to say this at all, check for yourself. Wishful thinking on ACK'S part? As far as voiding the warranty, it's already expired after 5 years.

My understanding of Canadian rules is that for an experimental airplane the equipment has to be equivalent to TSO in functionality. There is no requirement for it to be certified. I don't know how that is handled by the FAA. I certainly know what I would do, but I would not tell anyone else what they should do unless I thought it was a safety issue. To each his own.

Scott - sorry to disappoint, but the Canadian rules with respect to ELTs require the units to be TSO'd, and to be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. This is irrespective of the type of airworthiness certificate issued in respect of the aircraft. In fact, the installation and maintenance manuals are controlled documents and form part of the document set which the manufacturer must submit in order to obtain TSO certification. This is how the design / manufacture / installation / maintenance of the product becomes a closed control loop, and it's only in the presence of that closed control loop that a TSO can be issued and kept valid.

ELT TSO

Scott - sorry to disappoint, but the Canadian rules with respect to ELTs require the units to be TSO'd, and to be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. This is irrespective of the type of airworthiness certificate issued in respect of the aircraft. In fact, the installation and maintenance manuals are controlled documents and form part of the document set which the manufacturer must submit in order to obtain TSO certification. This is how the design / manufacture / installation / maintenance of the product becomes a closed control loop, and it's only in the presence of that closed control loop that a TSO can be issued and kept valid.

This is also true in the US...

Skylor
RV-8

An update on this thread - the battery maker SAFT which is the primary source for this type of cell has just been purchased by the French company TotalSA, no word yet on whether the marketing name will change or not. Just be aware they could be marketed by either/or.

I just replaced mine. I considered replacing the batteries myself but after finding a new one for $125 shipped vs $75-80 for replacements I just ordered new.
What I wanted to add was the new one came with a sticker on it specifically warning against replacing the batteries and voiding the TSO if it the case is opened...they must have seen this thread!
Also, I measured the voltage of the old battery at 12.09, and the new battery at 12.06. I'm not familiar with this type battery so I'm not sure how reverent that is, but I would have hoped the new one would measure higher.
Tim Andres

LiSO2 Battery Discharge Profile

Also, I measured the voltage of the old battery at 12.09, and the new battery at 12.06. I'm not familiar with this type battery so I'm not sure how reverent that is, but I would have hoped the new one would measure higher.
Tim Andres

The LiSO2 battery discharge profile is very flat, until it is basically dead:
http://www.saftbatteries.com/system/files_force/BA_5800.pdf?download=1

So open-circuit voltage is not indicative of remaining charge.

Gulf coast avionics

I bought it from Gulf coast avionics, but I just looked again so I could post a link and it's gone up to $139
Tim Andres

We have received a number of calls recently asking if it is legal to replace the cells in the ACK E-04 TSO-C142a battery pack. Several callers referred to this thread.

The short answer in no. Opening the battery case,and replacing cells is forbidden by the TSO. The person who posted the instructions as most builders, plots and even mechanics do not have an understanding of the TSO requirements. All modern TSO?s over the last 25 years are simply a general outline of the requirements to be followed in receiving TSO approval, and always refer to a specific document, or documents which the product must be tested to and conform to in order to receive the TSO. Almost all avionic or electronic related TSO?s refer to RTCA documents. In this case the document is RTCA DO-227 Minimum Operational Performance Standards for Lithium Batteries which is 91 pages of test and manufacturing requirements.

I have attached the relevant sections of the document that prohibit replacement of the cells in a battery pack by anyone other than the manufacturer. There are also requirements to have a QC procedure in place that must be followed as a manufacturer, and requires we have certification from the cell manufacturer of each shipment, and have a specific Quality Control systems in place. The photo that shows the expiration date, manufacture date and lot number as required by the FAA provides reference to the Quality Control process documents that were in place when manufactured. One of our competitors ignored these requirements and had all the TSO?s approvals they held revoked. The FAA requested we label the battery with a warning removing the seal on the screws and opening the battery pack renders it un-airworthy.

The FAA and Canadian authorities are extremely concerned about Lithium batteries in aircraft bordering on paranoia. There new testing standards forthcoming that further address requirements for the use of non-rechargeable Lithium batteries in aircraft.

DO-227_zpsbeos1box.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Battery%20date_zps4k93rfoa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

battery%20warning_zpskcqnncp2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This issue has come up before. I would caution that ensuring the correct cells are used and following the steps listed by the original post are beyond the capability of most builders. Even should you be successful, ELTs are routinely disassembled and inspected by an FAA inspector during the ramp check each general aviation aircraft experiences both before and after every flight.

It's just not worth it.

;)

Does said Inspector have a subpoena? That's the only way they can access your airplane without your permission, correct?

Maybe I worry to much about certain things but my thought is, IF a passenger is badly hurt or killed in your airplane and the ELT did not work as should have, there may be trouble. But if it didn’t work because it was opened up and repaired in an unauthorized manner you are for sure in trouble. My belief is that it is the owners responsibility to maintain the ELT. The testing should be done and logged by the owner or authorized person per the appropriate FAR. Lots of owners don’t do this because they just don’t know about it.
It’s more of an insurance thing than a FAA matter to me.
I am however impressed with the author of the battery replacement but for 50/75 bucks I would rather have piece of mind.

Just looking at it from a different angle. :) Larry

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe ACK got wind of this thread. Here is the new battery I received yesterday:

ELT%20Battery.jpg

Hmm, maybe ACK got wind of this thread. Here is the new battery I received yesterday:

Refer to post #20 in this discussion thread... Posting by ACK. Yup, they came here to set the record straight. I'm glad as I've been preaching this gospel on this forum for quite some time and, sometimes, have felt like I might as well have saved my breath to cool my porridge.

Looking at any perceived liability issue from the other side, what is the ELT's or FAA's liability if the TSO's device (including proper factory batteries) fails to perform during a crash? Are they going to be held responsible? If not, then how can the home-builder who's done his best to keep the batteries current (along with the rest of the aircraft) which presumably has a warning decal for the passenger to see that reads "this aircraft does not conform to internationally recognized standards" etc. be held accountable to any degree higher?

Seems like a double standard to me.

Bevan

Looking at any perceived liability issue from the other side, what is the ELT's or FAA's liability if the TSO's device (including proper factory batteries) fails to perform during a crash? Are they going to be held responsible? If not, then how can the home-builder who's done his best to keep the batteries current (along with the rest of the aircraft) which presumably has a warning decal for the passenger to see that reads "this aircraft does not conform to internationally recognized standards" etc. be held accountable to any degree higher?

Seems like a double standard to me.

Bevan

Exactly correct. If the ELT manufacturer can guarantee me (and my heirs/family), absolutely, that the ELT will perform exactly as intended in ANY and ALL crash scenarios, then perhaps I would be more inclined to pay attention to them protecting their market by emphasizing the TSO requirements.

Last edited:
Meanwhile back at the ranch....

I recently replaced mine and noticed the expiration time clock seems to start when they manufacture the pack. Soooo, it will probably pay to order yours from a high volume retailer, and then check the date as soon as it arrives.

I recently replaced mine and noticed the expiration time clock seems to start when they manufacture the pack. Soooo, it will probably pay to order yours from a high volume retailer, and then check the date as soon as it arrives.

Mine came from Pacific Coast Avionics and was dated January 26, 2018. I was pleasantly surprised.

Off the shelf

I received mine from Aircraft Spruce and it was already 5 months old. Unacceptable!

LOL! That's what I call mine, only en inglés. I told my wife yesterday that I was going to the hangar to give the other woman a sponge bath. No, I am not a smart man...

My "other woman" is named Ginger and I also tell my girlfriend I'm giving Ginger a sponge bath and I'll be home afterwards. I often wonder if the locks will be changed when I get home. :D

Back to replacement batteries, this is yet another source for the SAFT LO26SX battery at $14.95 each. Total for batteries and shipping to Florida is $78.97.
http://industrialbatterypros.com/saft-lo-26-sx-lo26sx-battery-3v-lithium-d-cell/

Last edited:
Ouch! PCA -- now only old batteries in stock

I received mine from Aircraft Spruce and it was already 5 months old. Unacceptable!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just bought a replacement E04 battery pack from Pacific Coast Avionics.

Having read the warnings above about a 5-month-old pack from Spruce, I even put in the remarks section of my online order that they should call me if the battery pack was older than 1 month.

Pack arrived just short of 9 months old already. 15% of its life gone already!

I called and they offered me a mere $10 credit (because if they offered me more, they'd "lose money"). They couldn't find my request to call if the battery was old. They also said that all their other E04 batteries on the shelf were the same age, so a replacement would be no better.

Of course, I should have called first.
Pacific Coast buyers beware!

Ship it back to them if they are not willing to provide a 20% price credit for your troubles. $10 is totally unacceptable, as is the practice of shipping old stock without advertising as old stock.

On the topic of losing money, they should be offering the batteries at a lower price or taking the write-down via their business accountant. That's not your problem, it's theirs. Don't let them try to make it your problem.

I won't buy an ELT battery that has reached its second month of shelf life. My last battery from ACS was problematic in that regard - thankfully they were able to find the note that I had insisted on adding to my order where I stated I would not accept a battery manufactured before XXX month. They provided a full refund and paid shipping both ways. One needs to be VERY firm with suppliers on this point... BEFORE the sale is finalized. Once they have your money, you're toast.

Thank you

Thank you for posting this way back. Safed me a lot of Dollars - Actually Rands.
A friend has a Kannad 406 AF Compact . The battery pack is also available from Spruce here https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/kannadBAT200.php?clickkey=1281926

As far as I can see it is two of the same cells as used in the ACK E04? Can anyone comment please?

I understand that it has welded tag, shrink around it and the lead with connector on it. No problem with that.

Awesome info !! I just added a note in my calendar app on my ELT battery renewal date to check this thread regarding battery expiration dates.

Awesome info !! I just added a note in my calendar app on my ELT battery renewal date to check this thread regarding battery expiration dates.

On further review I also added this new note below in case I still have the urge to replace my own ELT batteries. I'll just buy a manufacturer approved battery because while I was reading another thread I remembered my Seneca accident.

A battery costs around $180 BUT you still have to buy those "non approved" replacement batteries plus install them, which cost around $80. So $180 minus $80 then we're talking about $100 divided by 6 years = less than $17 a year.

I love saving money but if it's going to cost me $100 every 6 years to not have the risk of the insurance company not paying me if I bend my plane even if it's not a total loss and even if the accident has nothing to do with the ELT, I'll pay the extra $100. The insurance company will look for any reason not to pay you, count on that and this is how I know :

Back in 1998 I put a Seneca into the ocean, no pilot error found by NTSB, long story for another time. The insurance claim was denied because when they checked the logbooks my transponder inspection was expired. The transponder had NOTHING to do with the accident and I was flying in airspace that did not need a transponder so it was turned off as per FAA Regulations. They still denied the claim. It took over a year and a lawsuit including letters from the FAA in my favor for the insurance company to pay me. That cost me way more than the $100 I would save using in an ELT battery I make instead of the one sold by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Let me ask again

A friend has a Kannad 406 AF Compact . The battery pack is also available from Spruce here https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=1281926

As far as I can see it is two of the same cells as used in the ACK E04? Can anyone comment please?

I understand that it has welded tag, shrink around it and the lead with connector on it. No problem with that.

Jan - I don't know what the regulations are in South Africa with respect to the legal requirement to carry a TSO'd ELT. Here in Canada and the USA we must carry an approved ELT, which means a TSO'd device. The only way to meet that requirement is to use the "factory" battery packs rather than fabricating our own using replacement cells.

Also, be aware that most "factory" battery packs also contain a non-volatile memory device which records battery age and battery usage. Replacing just the battery cells often will not update the ELTs internal memory, thus a "battery fail" self test message will often result when the ELT detects the battery pack has reached its useful life, with that calculation of useful life being based on the original "factory" battery pack's date of manufacture and usage statistics accumulated over the life of that original battery pack.

While I hate to rain on anybody's parade, 406MHz ELT batteries generally are poor candidates for a money-saving do-it-yourself project.

Thank you very much for your reply. It makes sense in your part of the world. I will find out what the law states here.

Yes! Ref: Part 91.207 applies to all U.S. registered civil airplanes.
There are no exceptions for experimental airplanes.
91.207 merely requires an "approved" ELT . "there must be attached to the airplane an approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations." It also discusses replacement of batteries.
Not to mention that currently on TSO items such as ADS-B GPS sources the FAA clearly does accept non-TSO units that meet the TSO performance requirements for amateur built aircraft.
91.207 does not state what TSO ELTs must meet, just the one that is no longer allowed. Obviously there are some approved units out there, of the 121.5 variety that are TSO approved using D cell batteries. Somewhat harder to find now, and the FCC supposedly is banning them.
Not giving any advice, just adding information for discussion.

AMERIKING ELT

We are thinking of replacing our AmeriKing ELT. It still works but occasionally false triggers, even when it has been parked in the hangar for several days. Any thoughts or suggestions

Roger & Mike Nightingale

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but...
Ditch that Ameri-King as fast as you can! :)

At the moment my two top recommendations are the Artex 345 and the Kannad 406 Compact. I have lots of experience with the Kannad and they have proven to be a very reliable device. I don't list them as my top choice any more because Orolia decided to jack up the price of the replacement batteries. I used to have a bit of a hate on for Artex... They are now a different company (changed hands a few times) and the 345 seems to be a significant step up from the old ME406 (which should be avoided like the plague).

Kannad also makes what they call the "Ameri-Fit" package which contains wiring adapters to make it easy to replace Ameri-King ELTs. If you're not comfortable with running new wire, this might be the easiest path forward for you.

While the ACK E04 gets lots of air play on this forum because it's inexpensive, spend some time sifting through the posts and you'll find they are not exactly a reliable ELT. Spend a bit more cash and buy a better ELT - in the long run it will save you money in total lifecycle cost.

No matter what 406MHz ELT you buy, REGISTER IT BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT!
Transmissions from unregistered ELTs, particularly during the installation process, are a real waste of resources for our SAR folks. Register the ELT as soon as you get it, then take it to the airplane and work on its installation.

I wish you the best of success in doing this upgrade!

Thanks Mark,

We came up with the Ameri Fit solution too. We just completed our condition inspection and really didn?t want to pull up the seat pans etc to rewire. Glad to get your vote of confidence in Kannad as a dependable choice. We will be at Oshkosh all week, maybe we can find a deal. Thanks again for your input.

Roger

Artex better than ACK? I doubt it! Support SUCKS!

I know the thread is old, but there's some current posts...

I replaced my RV with another E-AB back in January. Builder had installed an Artex 345. Parked on the ramp in TX flying it home, the ELT alerted. Got a 3am call from USAF (to the seller, of course, I was pleasantly sleeping)

Several months later, got a false alert parked on the ramp in UT. At least in this case it was very windy, but I never had an alert during my really crappy landings the first dozen or so times I flew it.

Another month later, got an alert in dead calm, again, parked on the ramp, this time in Nebraska.

I contacted the MFG, because I knew I needed to replace the battery. My concern was that if I spent $200 on a battery for a unit that wasn't working properly, I was not being smart.

MFG was GREAT (initially). The rep asked for the MFG Date, then told me my unit was under warranty, and they'd ship me a replacement unit. A little paperwork, and about 3 weeks later they shipped. Mid-shipment, the MFG recalled the shipment through FedEx. It was returned to them a few days later.

Initial contact for advice: 7/24/19
Unit shipped 8/14/19
Unit Recalled and received back and Artex 8/22/19

Contacted the customer service manager who had been in contact with me, she said she didn't know what happened, but she'd let me know when they get it, and let me know when they re-ship. 8/24 she said they had it.
Three emails unanswered and two voicemails unanswered between 8/26 and 9/11.

9/11/19 I contact the original rep -- he apologizes, there's a problem, but he'll send me a LOANER 1000...cool. He sends an email to CSM -- she promptly replies that my unit shipped on 8/14/19 and attaches the tracking number.

9/11/19 I kinda lose my mind -- I reply that if she'll actually track that number, she'll see the package was recalled by ARTEX and returned to them on 8/22.

Ghosted until 9/20...get an apology email from her--she misunderstood. She'll overnight a replacement unit THAT DAY.

Today is 9/26, and I've got no unit, and no reply to my emails.

I wouldn't buy an ARTEX if it was the only way to have a legal ELT -- I'd fly without or buy a used unit before I'll ever give them a nickel. Luckily, I've got options, so I'll replace their **** unit and **** service with something else...

Which is how I happened upon this thread in the first place, looking for alternatives.

Scott - I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Artex, but I'm glad you have shared it here. Information is power!

I initially got a hate on for Artex because their customer service was reprehensible, almost beyong belief. Being hung up on by their VP of marketing was the final nail in the coffin, I yanked the Artex ELT and installed a Kannad. Have never had a moment's trouble with either of the Kannads I've installed in my own aircraft nor the 30+ that I've installed in others or helped other owners with.

But the Kannad battery is expensive and they limit battery replacement to their approved battery replacement centers - not a good business move in my opinion. Sure it's good for their business in the near term but very bad in the long term as it will drive customers like me to other brands.

With that having been said, twice now at Oshkosh I have chatted with their VP of Global Sales for Aviation, Jeffery V. Geraci. At both meetings he told me that if I ever needed help with an Artex product or know of others needing help, that he could be contacted directly. In the spirit of those conversations I will provide here his contact information in hopes he will help you resolve your issue. (PLEASE PROVIDE AN UPDATE HERE IF YOU DO!)
Jeffery V. Geraci
Vice President of Global Sales - Aviation
ACR Electronics Ltd.
5757 Ravenswood Road
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33312 USA
T: 954-862-2120
M: 954-612-9592
[email protected]

I'm really hoping your ELT issue is resolved quickly and easily!

Got some movement yesterday...

Ironically,

Jeff was the first contact I had. He replied while at OSH, and said he'd get the message to customer service and they'd get on it after OSH. He's the one that actually surprised me with the news that it was under warranty.

Most of the rest of the experience is as you mention in the first part of your description...

I left a polite but direct message with Stephanie Mason ("customer service mangager" yesterday, got no response. Got a little mad and decided to initiate a BBB complaint -- even though the BBB has no teeth or power, it irritated me to see an A+ rating and "zero complaints" even though there is a 1 star review there and an experience quite similar to mine.

I got no phone call (never have) returned from Stephanie, but she magically initiated a tracking number to ship me overnight the package that she told me last Friday was being overnighted.

We'll see. Last time the package got literally to the DC within 30 miles of my house before they recalled it...this one looks like it's actually on a truck and headed my way.

My concerns are now -- this is what it has taken to get a LOANER unit because they can't replace MY unit right now. I hope I don't have to do another 2 month dance to get the actual replacement when the time comes!

I'm a super patient and understanding business guy -- but two basic expectations of a customer are 1.) Communicate 2.) Do what you say you're going to do and maybe 3.) If there is a problem with #2 along the way, refer back to #1 . :)

Glad to hear you might be getting some traction on this. Seems strange they would loan you a device rather than say "would you accept a overhauled/loaner unit as a warranty exchange for your unit?" This sounds like a lot of back-and-forth of shipping etc, making for an expensive transaction - expensive for all parties.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Back