What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3M Paint Preparation System

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I hate priming. What I should say is that I hate the clean-up more so than the priming. For those of you using rattle-can or water-based primer, this isn?t much of an issue, but for those of us using multi-part primers, such as epoxy, cleaning up after spraying can be a big pain in the butt. There are mixing cups to clean, the gun, the gun cup, and in the end you usual end up with a pile of primer or solvent soaked paper towels to dispose of.

I can?t remember where (maybe VAF), but a few months ago someone told me about 3M?s Paint Preparation System (PPS). The PPS involves a plastic cup with disposable liners and covers which replace the cup on your gun, and is intended to make the mixing and clean-up process easier. I was intrigued, and since I desperately wanted to simplify the clean-up process, I decided to purchase a starter kit.

The starter kit cost about $120 and came with 2 6-oz. cups, 2 retaining rings, 2 graduated measuring transparencies, 50 liners and covers, about 20 caps, and a spiffy wall mounted dispenser. In addition to the starter kit I had to purchase an adapter for my spray gun which was only about $7. In all it was just north of $130 to get set-up on the PPS. This was a little pricey for something that I had heard very little about (from the RV community) but if it helped with the clean-up, I would consider it money well spent.

About a week ago, I got a chance to use the PPS for the first time and all I could think was... Why didn?t I buy this sooner?!?! It was super easy, and it cut down on the clean-up time and mess dramatically. It made mixing and shooting primer a breeze, and something I could do in a matter of minutes rather than planning my day around it.

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, so here goes?

pps_001.jpg

Here are the components to the system. From left to right they are; the measuring transparency, cup, liner, cap (middle), gun adapter (front), retaining ring, cap, and the cover (back). The disposable cover (right back) even has a filter built right in.

pps_002.jpg

You insert the measuring transparency into the cup, and then insert a liner. Now you can pour the parts of your primer right into the cup (liner).

pps_003.jpg

Once all the parts are poured into the cup (liner), you put on a cover and lock it down with the retaining ring. If you want, you put put a cap on it and shake it, but I decided to use a mixing stick prior to installing the cover. You invert the gun (not the cup) and install the cup on the gun with a simple push and quarter turn.

pps_004.jpg

After spraying a bit, the liner collapses inside the cup. Supposedly, one of the benefit of the system is that you can spray upside-down, but I didn't try it.

pps_005.jpg

When you are done, you simply remove the cup assembly from the gun, unlock the retaining ring, and remove the disposable liner and cover (middle). For clean-up, run a tiny bit of thinner through your spray gun, and you?re done! The cup and retaining ring are reused, while the liner and cover are thrown away. If you have any primer left over, you can put a cap on it and save it for later (depending on pot life).

Conclusion...
I like it! No mess, no lacquer thinner soaked paper towels, no mixing cups. The 50 liners and covers I have should last me a while, but I can always buy more if I need them. Sure it's bit expensive for a plastic cup and some liners, but it saves time and $ on solvent and clean-up supplies. It isn't for everybody, but if you hate the clean-up, it just might help. I really wish I had bought this sooner. YMMV

Last edited:
That's a great system. I use it all the time. Here is a tip. After you attach the cup to the gun, keep the gun upside down and pull the trigger. This will speed up the process of sucking out the air in the cup and collapse the liner. The big down side of gravity feed spray guns is spraying overhead. The 3M PPS makes it no problem. I use it to spray stripes on the bottom of wings and stabs. I'm a real cheap SOB so I clean my liners and lids about 3 or 4 times before they hit the dumpster ;)

I too have been using it for about 3 years. It is the ONLY way to go. Also if you buy the kit and get 2 paint gun adapters and 2 cups, you can split the cost with a fellow builder and you end up spending about $60 per person.

-Jeff

Last edited:
Brad, you gotta stop showing us stuff like this. I'm running out of room and my wife says I'm up to Father's Day 2014 for presents...

DeVilbiss

The disposable bit is similar to the paint cup liner system that came with my DeVilbiss FinishLine gun... the gun and liners cost less than the "gunless" 3M system... :) They also claim "upside down" operation, but I haven't tried it either.... :)

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/main.php?p=a&id=32

However, I see on the DeVilbiss web site they now sell their own disposable cup system.... don't know how the prices compare with 3M...

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/main.php?p=d&id=149

The liners I use have a "ziploc" type closure and are definitely less messy and easier to clean up after than the standard cups...

gil in Tucson - my cheap Devilbiss gun is better than an expensive "cheap" one..... ;)

The disposable bit is similar to the paint cup liner system that came with my DeVilbiss FinishLine gun... the gun and liners cost less than the "gunless" 3M system... :) They also claim "upside down" operation, but I haven't tried it either.... :)

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/main.php?p=a&id=32

However, I see on the DeVilbiss web site they now sell their own disposable cup system.... don't know how the prices compare with 3M...

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/main.php?p=d&id=149

The liners I use have a "ziploc" type closure and are definitely less messy and easier to clean up after than the standard cups...

gil in Tucson - my cheap Devilbiss gun is better than an expensive "cheap" one..... ;)

Both links return:
/main.php?p=d&id=149404! Sorry, That page is no longer found!
Return to www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com

PPS system is GREAT! I use it everyday!
Like KTM520 said.. hold the gun upside down and squeeze the trigger.

Only down side I have seen with this is.... well nothing!
I love it!

Well, actually, I did. But Gil was linking to DeVilbiss, and you linked to 3M, so I wasn't sure they were the same thing. :confused:

Yes... but Gil switched to the similar D-Kups (stop giggling...:)...) system from DeVilbiss. Easier to use than the older zip-loc system I mentioned a few years ago.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/DKups/Dcups.html

Using the water based Jet-Flex paint they can be used to store the thinned paint from one session to the next - saving a lot of paint....

Back