What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness application

bob888

Well Known Member
In getting the documentation together, I notice there needs to be something showing the engine/prop combination has existed on a certified plane in order to get the 25 hour flyoff. Does the Lycoming 540 + Hartzell 2 blade prop sold by Vans qualify? Documentation? Thanks all.

Another question: How much time should I allow between the time these documents are submitted to the FSDO and the date a DAR can be scheduled for the signoff?

I believe that for some time now Vans has only sold tbe XIO-540, which is the uncertified version. If that's what you have, you're stuck with a 40 hour phase 1.
As to the time required for paperwork, that varies a lot from fisdo district to district. Your DAR should be able to answer these questions and guide you thru the process.

You should be able to get the paperwork directly to the DAR. Then they submit to their FAA "boss".

I (and many others) have the YIO-360, which is an "experimental" version of the 360, and a Hartzell prop, and got 25 hour flight test periods...

The DAR had no issue with it, as he said "the only difference? the paperwork" between the YIO-360 and an IO-360.

Presumably the same for the 540 + Hartzell...

I (and many others) have the YIO-360, which is an "experimental" version of the 360, and a Hartzell prop, and got 25 hour flight test periods...

The DAR had no issue with it, as he said "the only difference? the paperwork" between the YIO-360 and an IO-360.

Well the rules in AC 20.27G and Order 8130.2H are clear: "A minimum of 40 hours is required when a non-type-certificated engine, propeller, or engine/propeller combination is installed. Furthermore, if the type-certificated engine, propeller, or engine/propeller combination installed have been altered in a way that differs from an approved type design in a TCDS, a minimum of 40 hours shall be required."

Yes I get that the Lycoming "experimentals" are the same engines minus the paperwork but IMO the rules don't technically give inspectors leeway. So my advice to the OP is plan on 40 -- if you get less, so be it.

Last edited:
On all of these issues there will be differences in how different FSDO's and different DAR's will handle it. Hope for the best and expect the worst.

I've had one go 25 and one go 40. So yeah, it's really up to the DAR and MIDO/FSDO. If you read it strictly, it's 40 hours. But if you take it logically, it's 25. Just read last night in Sport Aviation I believe that they're currently looking into adjusting the regs a bit on flyoff times so that people don't have to drone around for 40 hours "just because". They aim to make it more actual step-by-step performance oriented.

Sorry but your DAR issued improperly! The rule is very clear and not up for interpretation. Neither a DAR or even an ASI has the authority to circumvent the rules.

Back