What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim Question

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
Any reason aileron trim cant go in the right wing, I know the instructions say the left wing but I wasn't paying attention to what wing I was working on:eek:. Not a big deal to change it but if I don't have to I won't.

My 6's trim is on the right wing, while pics showed it on the left. Offset's my weight, and maybe it makes the plane fly faster! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

The autopilot roll servo goes in the right wing, so having both systems in the right wing might cause some "heavy wing" issues.

The autopilot roll servo goes in the right wing, so having both systems in the right wing might cause some "heavy wing" issues.

Mine is too. Out on the wing tip even. But it still doesn't offset my weight.......with both servos on the right wing. Mine is a 6.......but I don't see a problem with the 10. Never the less, even with a passenger, my plane trims just great.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

The springs for the trim system where a pain to put on, if I don't have to do it a second time I'll go that route. :D

I just completed this install last week in the right wing. After running the thought through Vans and receiving Sterling's blessing I just mirrored everything while following the directions. Yes, the springs are a PIA to connect but I think that's true on either wing. No binding issues either. I can't really understand how installing this in the same wing as your AP servo could create a heavy wing.

Any reason aileron trim cant go in the right wing, I know the instructions say the left wing but I wasn't paying attention to what wing I was working on:eek:. Not a big deal to change it but if I don't have to I won't.

Mine as well as the AP servo are in the right wing. No issues.

I just completed this install last week in the right wing. After running the thought through Vans and receiving Sterling's blessing I just mirrored everything while following the directions. Yes, the springs are a PIA to connect but I think that's true on either wing. No binding issues either.

Cool! Any chance you can share some pictures? The parts are not symmetrical, so I don't understand what you mean by "mirroring everything" (unless you made new parts).
Thanks!

I also talked to Van's builder support. They said they saw no reason why the trim servo wouldn't work in the right wing, but since they haven't done it I would be on my own.

I decided to install it in the right wing since the Garmin Autopilot servo mounts standard in the right wing, and the trim servo gets wired directly to the Garmin servo. By putting them both in the same wing, you don't need to run additional wires across the fuselage between the 2 wings.

Dave

Aileron trim question

I was looking for answers to my aileron trim problem when I discovered this discussion string, now I have two questions:

1. First -- there's been a resent change in flight characteristic of my RV7. I now need to adjust the aileron trim based on airspeed -- the right wing has become "heavy" at cruise but "light" at pattern speeds. No damage. No changes to the airframe, prop, engine. My -7 has the spring aileron trim system, and it is stretched to the limit (small pun) keeping the wings level at cruise speed -- even when I burn fuel from the right wing first. This suggest that something is rigged incorrectly or otherwise out of alignment, but I don't know where to beginning looking? What else may have change to cause the heavy wing?

2. Second -- are you discussing the spring trim system, an aerodynamic aileron trim (i.e., inflight adjustable trim tab), or both. I'd love to learn more about whatever aerodynamic trim system(s) being used on RVs; pics would be a further plus.

Thank you as always for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Robert

2. Second -- are you discussing the spring trim system, an aerodynamic aileron trim (i.e., inflight adjustable trim tab), or both. I'd love to learn more about whatever aerodynamic trim system(s) being used on RVs; pics would be a further plus.

We're talking about the electric aileron trim servo, which is attached to the aileron pushrods with springs. No external parts, just something that moves the "neutral point" of the ailerons by shifting a pair of springs:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-24%20at%2017.10.40.png

Now that's cool! Is this something VANs sells or is it after market. or both? Where can I learn more about this?

How do you like it?

Back